motivation

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
whats wrong with me,i got off holiday nearly two weeks ago and i havent so much as been to the range,i missed one of my favorite competitions at the club,and have cancelled two lessons,what can i do to get motivated to get out there and start enjoying my golf again.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
watch the us open, if that doesn't make you want to get out there nothing will. Perhaps give yourself an objective to try and achieve at the range as well rather than just going for the sake of it, give the trip a purpose and it is more likely to be appealing.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do you need motivation, you obviously dont want to play? If you did, you'd be playing.

Once the game gets like that for me, i'll sell my clubs.

I cant sleep some nights looking forward to golf in the morning! (well it takes me a little longer to nod off)

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
tony before the holiday i was exactly the same as you,i was in great form my handicap was coming down nicely.its not that i dont want to play just the last week i have been planning a round/trip to the range but have been firing the barbie and having a few drinks instead,i think watching a bit of golf may give me the urge to get out there thankyou eaglehunter

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe mick you've realised shock horror that there is more than golf out there?

Try getting up before dawn and go watch the sun rise over your golf coursethat might help!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I lose my motivation after too many days off. The normal thought is "I'd like to go and play, but it won't be very good, so maybe I should go to the range?" or "I can't be bothered to shlep it over to the course to play rubbish".
What keeps me going is keeping going, as it were. Mostly I try to go and practice the day before a plan to hit the course.....practicing and playing seem to go hand in hand; once I'm on a roll, I can't stop the bug.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
More to life than golf??? Surely not

In the world of Homer it is golf, golf, golf, food, golf, golf, wife, golf, golf, sleep, golf, golf, work

I'd go crazy if I am fully fit and not able to play or practice . It is bad enought that our practice ground is being used as a coach park for Royal Ascot next week and the course is down to 13 holes to allow helicopters to land and ferry the passengers. I don't go up there if possible as the golf course is nightmare and the traffic even worse. I get stir crazy by the Wednesday and will be down a local range every evening trying to get my golfing fix. Not ideal but better than nowt

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mick, my post was an attempt at reverse physcology (not a very good one mind)

Has it been too nice to go out and play, I know sometimes when its really hot I dont want to play because I always feel tired and drained in the sun, so would rather just sit about drinking beer!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know the feeling,I also know why I am just not motivated.

Knee is shot and anyway have not really felt under control for the last 2 months. Was so excited for the season too as I had played out of my boots through the worst weather.

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
tonyn think you have hit the nail on the head,the weathers been to nice,i think i'm still in a bit of holiday mode and would rather sit around drinking,went to the gym in my lunch hour today though so i'm probably going to start getting active again now so the golf should be just around the corner,however typing that with a can of red stripe next to me

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nay worry lad, It'l come back. Today I finished my round and for the first time ever, I was glad. I am even glad I am in work and cant play till monday. My golf has gone from low teen handicap too can't strike a decent mid iron.

Am sure by Monday, i'll be itching to get out.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
mick, just got back myself, still nackered but I'm going out tonight, might only make it round 9 but I'm going.

not sure I can understand how you can get yourself to a gym but not to a course.