Morrisons? No longer for me, or am I just getting old?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Self serve till are fine if they work efficiently. Which they don't, so you stand around waiting for the one operative to come and put a code in!!

You could take the view that you could protect jobs by not using them!!

Home delivery/click and collect is the way to go. Anything to avoid going in a supermarket

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tried it the other week in my local Sainsburys and it kind of worked. But I think if you are on your own doing a big shop the additional time taken with faffing around trying to juggle your list, phone or scanner, scanning the produce then putting it onto the bags in your trolley kind of cancels out the time it takes to just dump stuff in your trolley and get it scanned on a proper till with a person person doing the scanning. I think it has potential but probably need some thought with regards to design of trolleys to easily hold a few open bags at one time and may be something to hold your list on the trolley.

Once you get used to it you save so much time

List on your phone (prob easier written sometimes tho)

Open about 5 bags ready in your trolly

Scan items , place in bags .. I can do a weekly shop in and out in 20 mins at peak times

Tesco trolleys have device cradles

Sainsbury's app has a list function so the list is on the app that your scanning in

Asda Is ok, not as helpful but rarely go there

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Self serve till are fine if they work efficiently. Which they don't, so you stand around waiting for the one operative to come and put a code in!!

Home delivery/click and collect is the way to go. Anything to avoid going in a supermarket

We did that until they started delivering rubbish dates of that day or just a few days time as their staff would pick from front of shelfs rather than give you good dates

Ended up a waste of effort

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We did that until they started delivering rubbish dates of that day or just a few days time as their staff would pick from front of shelfs rather than give you good dates

Ended up a waste of effort

That's why I use Ocado or Morrisons only for online food shopping. It's not picked from a store and never had problems with short dates.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Morrisons I have been to in places like Scarborough are really good. Never been to a bad one.

Only Asda has them beaten as a large supermarket on good food and good shopping experience.

We usually do our weekly shop through Sainsbury’s and their food is crap compared to Morrison’s and Asda and about on par with Tesco.

Sadly I dont get a huge say so only get it Asda the odd time.

I do love to shop at waitrose but just can’t afford it... it’s the local shop for us so I drop in for bits and bobs which is about all we can manage from there.

As for the tills, Asda has some good full shop unmanned tills and anyone queuing there knows the wait will be what it is when one person does a weeks shop. I don’t see the issue and would ignore anyone behind me if they got annoyed.

Personally I don’t need someone to scan stuff for me but it does help when you have someone you are responsible for with you.

Maybe you just need to practice using the tills, you will get faster if you do it more than once.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Morrisons I have been to in places like Scarborough are really good. Never been to a bad one.

Only Asda has them beaten as a large supermarket on good food and good shopping experience.

We usually do our weekly shop through Sainsbury’s and their food is crap compared to Morrison’s and Asda and about on par with Tesco.

Sadly I dont get a huge say so only get it Asda the odd time.

I do love to shop at waitrose but just can’t afford it... it’s the local shop for us so I drop in for bits and bobs which is about all we can manage from there.

As for the tills, Asda has some good full shop unmanned tills and anyone queuing there knows the wait will be what it is when one person does a weeks shop. I don’t see the issue and would ignore anyone behind me if they got annoyed.

Personally I don’t need someone to scan stuff for me but it does help when you have someone you are responsible for with you.

Maybe you just need to practice using the tills, you will get faster if you do it more than once.

Wow where on earth is that? Sainsbury's is proper mid range food wise.. a step up from Tesco.. and defo above Asda in the quality of meat and fresh fruit / veg

If we are rating super markets on quality it pro. Goes

M&s
Waitrose
Sainsbury's
Tesco
Aldi
Co-op
Lidl
Morrisons
Asda
Iceland

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everyone's is different mine is:

Waitrose
Aldi
Asda
Morrisons
Lidl
Sainsbury's
Tesco
M&S
Co-op
Iceland

Impressive that m&s is so low tbh. Much of much with rest just surprised about Asda , real poor meat always found. Unless it's their pre marinated range that's alright

Their bacon is blooming awful , it's like Tesco bacon of old that would never crisp up its pumped so much of water

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fortunately I never have to go to the supermarket but my wife thinks the Sainsbury's self scan system is brilliant and when our 6 year old granddaughter is off school she can't wait to help grandma.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
While in Morrisons years ago I wanted some scampi from the freezers.
The long door handles were filthy, never been cleaned.
I mentioned it to the girl at the till and she muttered something unintelligible.
Ive never been back

D

Deleted member 1740

I hate the self service tills, they’re pain in the ass.

you have no choice in some supermarkets as they have staff directing you towards them.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Local co-op (was a Morrisons local when they were around. Was much better then)

Anyways they push you towards the self service .. 3 tills card only

Had to get someone to open a till other day because had left my card at home.. the assistant didn't want to have to open the tills

The system does work well

Sometimes the staff are assisting in different ways like re stocking shelfs.

Plus normally at Tesco 2 members of staff can now assist 10 tills at once instead of 2.. which does speed up the process