Morrisons? No longer for me, or am I just getting old?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My local Morrisons, where I've shopped for over 15 years, opens until 9 pm on most evenings, great!

But just recently they've seen fit to stop staffing the tills after 8 pm and customers are expected to put their shopping through the "self scan" aisles.
I've no issue with this for baskets but when it's the weekly shop it's a right pain in the backside.

It takes me 3 or 4 times as long as it took the till operator and at the end I can't get my bags back in the trolley without squashing stuff.
And I'm getting some right looks from the queue that's formed behind me!

Maybe they'll give their customers brooms next so they can sweep the floor as they shop?

I'll be doing my weekly shop elsewhere from here on and just go to Morrisons for the odd own-branded item I can't get otherwise.

Complain to the manager and ask them to open a till. Simples.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
trouble with those self service tills, i'm always buying booze so have to wait to get it autherised, so might as well have had a till open anyway..

FYI we never go in Morrisons anyway, the one in sneck has the same seal at the Home of the Grail in the Indiana Jones Film the last Crusade, as soon as any perishable crosses the seal it goes off before you even reach your car:(

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can you not do your weekly shop before 8pm? On the plus side you can probably wangle some free stuff that didn't quite scan correctly..

D

Deleted member 21258

I would have thought, that one such gentleman as Crow, would have used his old persuader to order, ones servants to visit such establishments and not bother himself with such menial tasks.

That's what the peasants are for, also know as, your getting old ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Can you not do your weekly shop before 8pm? On the plus side you can probably wangle some free stuff that didn't quite scan correctly..

Surely it’s not free though is it ? It’s stealing

We just go to whichever supermarket is more convenient, not bothered at the end of the day - treat time it’s M&S foodhall ?

Can see why they don’t man the tills late at night - most are filling shelves

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had to go Sainsbury's earlier (local soft play we are members of if you spend £10 it's free parking so just nip in to get bits you need. No brainer) wish I had signed up for that scan and shop. So much better with little one to scan and pack as you go. Just makes everything smoother

But then again without going the tills you won't get the parking .. so every cloud

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Why need someone when that person can assist 4 people at once? Tills aren't rocket science. Most can use them so helps queue bust whilst the till is supervised by someone to assist with any mishaps

Scan as you shop is the future
Love in Tesco. Bags out. Scan. Go to separate till. Any issues they quickly scan random items if it's selected you for the honest test as I call it
Pay
Load bags into car

Much less faff and can pre pack shopping into fridge and freezer bags etc

Love it

Tried it the other week in my local Sainsburys and it kind of worked. But I think if you are on your own doing a big shop the additional time taken with faffing around trying to juggle your list, phone or scanner, scanning the produce then putting it onto the bags in your trolley kind of cancels out the time it takes to just dump stuff in your trolley and get it scanned on a proper till with a person person doing the scanning. I think it has potential but probably need some thought with regards to design of trolleys to easily hold a few open bags at one time and may be something to hold your list on the trolley.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tried it the other week in my local Sainsburys and it kind of worked. But I think if you are on your own the additional time taken with faffing around trying to juggle your list, phone or scanner, scanning the produce then putting it onto the bags in your trolley kind of cancels out the time it takes to just dump stuff in your trolley and get it scanned on a proper till with a person person doing the scanning. I think it has potential but probably need some thought with regards to design of trolleys to easily hold a few open bags at one time and may be something to hold your list on the trolley.

do a few times and youll be fine, its far far quicker

ps scan the label on the shelf not on the item itself ;)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
do a few times and youll be fine, its far far quicker

ps scan the label on the shelf not on the item itself ;)

I did try that but some labels on the shelves were missing or I could not find them easily. I will try again and hopefully be a bit more organised this time.