Morrisons? No longer for me, or am I just getting old?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My local Morrisons, where I've shopped for over 15 years, opens until 9 pm on most evenings, great!

But just recently they've seen fit to stop staffing the tills after 8 pm and customers are expected to put their shopping through the "self scan" aisles.
I've no issue with this for baskets but when it's the weekly shop it's a right pain in the backside.

It takes me 3 or 4 times as long as it took the till operator and at the end I can't get my bags back in the trolley without squashing stuff.
And I'm getting some right looks from the queue that's formed behind me!

Maybe they'll give their customers brooms next so they can sweep the floor as they shop?

I'll be doing my weekly shop elsewhere from here on and just go to Morrisons for the odd own-branded item I can't get otherwise.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Both our Tesco stores stop manning the tills between 10pm (I think) and 6am
But if you have a trolley they will open one for you.
I see people during the day using the self serve checkout for the weekly shop
Completely barking..
Our Morrisons has always been a horrible shop, even when it was Safeway
Try to not go in it to be honest

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
get to sainsburys and get a smart scanner, scan and pack as you shop so youre all done by the time you get to the tills where all you have to do is pay

This. Ans I've always found Morrisons fresh stuff to look the best of all the supermarkets. I can't stand our Aldi (old people say Oldie if you listen..LOL) it's rammed all the time. Sainburys is for snobs and old people. This leaves me with Tesco only. Luckilly they are trying to compete with Aldi on price.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to live next to a Morrisons which was our only 'large' supermarket in walking distance. I dislike that shop with a passion. They were (are) planning to close it as the whole area (Brentford) finally gets regenerated, and some people ran a petition to keep it open. I can't believe someone really want to keep that market.

Saying that, when we were on holidays in Cornwall the local supermarket was Morrisons and I was dreading going there, and it turned out that market was amazing. I guess it is more to do with where you are then what the brand is?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to live next to a Morrisons which was our only 'large' supermarket in walking distance. I dislike that shop with a passion. They were (are) planning to close it as the whole area (Brentford) finally gets regenerated, and some people ran a petition to keep it open. I can't believe someone really want to keep that market.

Saying that, when we were on holidays in Cornwall the local supermarket was Morrisons and I was dreading going there, and it turned out that market was amazing. I guess it is more to do with where you are then what the brand is?

This 100% we have 3 Tesco Extra within driving distance and a normal superstore

1 extra is ok..manageable , superstore is brilliant ..full of older people as it's not so busy so makes it peaceful

Other 2 are in the rougher parts of the area so attract youths .. plus their poorly laid out

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I think most supermarkets do it now. Self serve tills were introduced to reduce the amount of staff needed.

Personally Morrison’s is the best of them all.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only ever been to Morrisons once, and wont go back. For a start, the car park spacing is for pedal cars and you come home with your car looking like its been beaten to buggery.
We've normally been Tesco people, but now it's an even split with Lidl.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I am getting old then!

Might have to look at on-line shopping, but the best bargains are at the end of the day and only in store!

The way I see it is if they can't be bothered to have someone on the till, why bother opening?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We have all the stores local to us in one form or another, within 5 minute drive. Lucky to be able to choose anything from Waitrose to Aldi. Favour Morrison's for the big shop, especially loose unpacked veg, meat and fish. Usually use the Co-op for quick shop, although we use them less after they closed their instore bakery. Both less than 2 mins from the house. Venture in to the others from time to time but o real need to venture further out unless we are in the area for something specific. Have no problems with our Morrison's, other than mrs wedge HAS to walk around in the same route every time, even if she doesn't need anything in a particular aisle, she can't skip an aisle or two without getting stressed ?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am getting old then!

Might have to look at on-line shopping, but the best bargains are at the end of the day and only in store!

The way I see it is if they can't be bothered to have someone on the till, why bother opening?

Why need someone when that person can assist 4 people at once? Tills aren't rocket science. Most can use them so helps queue bust whilst the till is supervised by someone to assist with any mishaps

Scan as you shop is the future
Love in Tesco. Bags out. Scan. Go to separate till. Any issues they quickly scan random items if it's selected you for the honest test as I call it
Pay
Load bags into car

Much less faff and can pre pack shopping into fridge and freezer bags etc

Love it

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I am getting old then!

The 2nd bold bit kinda confirms the first bold bit ;)

Supermarkets here are... a bit different and take a wee while to get used to. From a distance they look just like supermarkets with different names above the door and there's definitely similarities... but far more differences and not least that there's several languages on products depending on their origin (plus imagine there's no supermarket stipulations to local growers about what size/shape any of the fruit & veg must be or the curvature/colour of a banana)
Zero self scan tills yet but that doesn't mean all the checkouts are open even when its busy

I sometimes daydream about spending a pleasant hour wandering round a Tesco or Asda