Monty - becoming untenable as RC captain or media nonsense?

B

birdieman

Papers are running stories about Monty's RC Captaincy becoming questioned with McGinley ready to take over. This is in light of 2 stories - 1 being some alleged injunction Monty has over the News of the World regarding stories of extra marital indiscretions and 2 the fact that Monty asked his potential wildcards to play at Gleneagles and they have nearly all said no, we're playing the Barclays in the States instead - Harrington, Casey etc.

Monty has previously said Tiger Woods would find it hard to be accepted by the US players wives in the RC situation and now Monty is in a similar position himself, being an alleged cheater. A question along those lines was put to Pavin about Woods at a RC press conference and apparently Monty (seated next to Pavin) looked like he needed a hole to bury his head in.

Has Monty lost the respect a Captain needs (did he ever have it?) and should he be replaced at this late stage?

Or is it all media-spun nonsense?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Monty has never been popular with the media, so this is their opportunity to put the knife in.

Monty was an idiot for expecting players to give up playing in the Fed Ex for playing at Gleneagles. He should never have put himself in the firing line. Money will always come first for the players, it is their living.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite how the tw@t finds any willing partners in extra-marital affairs is beyond me in the first place, apart from his millions in the bank, which doesnt say a lot for the ladies he's linked to.

I think a Captain needs to be able to show emotion and passion, and hence why Faldo was unsuccessful really, and why Seve & Torrance were.
McGinley would be a great choice, as would Clarke, Harrington, & Westwood etc.

I dont think for a minute that mcGinley taking over would be in any way damaging to our chances, and if stories break about Monty, its possible.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quite how the tw@t finds any willing partners in extra-marital affairs is beyond me in the first place, apart from his millions in the bank, which doesnt say a lot for the ladies he's linked to.

I think a Captain needs to be able to show emotion and passion, and hence why Faldo was unsuccessful really, and why Seve & Torrance were.
McGinley would be a great choice, as would Clarke, Harrington, & Westwood etc.

I dont think for a minute that mcGinley taking over would be in any way damaging to our chances, and if stories break about Monty, its possible.

I somehow get the feeling you're not a Monty fan? :D

douchebag or not, you can't question his passion and emotion for the Ryder Cup. I think he'll fair well as el capitano...

That said, if McGinley was made captain, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I just think changing it so close to the actual event could cause a bit of unrest.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not really understanding Chris's post....do you think that Monty won't show emotion and passion? He is one of the biggest to show these! :D

Regardless of what he has or hasn't been up to with the wand he WILL be a great captain and WILL have the backing of the team/tour as he is well liked by his peers unlike that fud that was in charge last time out.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only emotion I have ever seen from Monty was grimaces and snarls at Photographers ??????

Granted, him & Woods are the 2 players I genuinely dont like, and its strange that both are now embroiled in exactly the same kind of tarnishing actions off course.

Personally, would like it if McGinley was to take over, and he wouldnt let us down - I'm confident of that.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Were these spun by the same folks who said Gerard had a similar stoppage on the NOTW for getting his wifes non existent sister preggers as well as the other supposed stories?
Monty was a good golfer and he might know a little about the Ryder cup but no matter what happens at Celtic manor a lot of us still won't warm to him.

davykyle

Medal Winner
Visit site
He leaves himself open to abuse with his Indonesia incident and his treatment of the Sky cameraman without these revelations appearing in the press.

If he gets through the USPGA I think he'll be ok but he will continually be on his guard which I dont think will make for a pleasant experience for any of the interviews he will do

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I like him, far better than the modern golfers who look, act and play like robots.

Tiger might have given him some numbers to call, I do hope it wasnt that hooker/dancer she was very ropey.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
sorry, but who is McGinley? Hardly a visible presence.

stick with with Monty - you may not like him but he's passionate about the RC, colourful and vocal

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dodger: Whats NOT to see ?

Tiger - Brilliant Golfer, and highly motivated and pumped up when its going his way. Not going his way - he's sullen, petulant, and somtimes disgracefully behaved for a World No1. (Club throwing/Spitting)
Whether good or bad, he almost always a bad interviewer too, his arrogance with the Media seems constant.

Monty. Also an undoubted talent (in his day), but for a large proportion of the watching public, including me, he just comes across a big spoilt brat, and very difficult to warm to as Brendy says.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't think it will make a huge amount of difference to his performance as captain and take these allegations with a pinch of salt. We all know about kiss and tellers. To be fair to Monty on the one hand he has kept in touch with what is going on and so knows who is on form and feeling good. On the other hand I can't see why he'd want potential picks to play at Gleneagles rather than a more competitive event in the states.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Dodger: Whats NOT to see ?

Tiger - Brilliant Golfer, and highly motivated and pumped up when its going his way. Not going his way - he's sullen, petulant, and somtimes disgracefully behaved for a World No1. (Club throwing/Spitting)
Whether good or bad, he almost always a bad interviewer too, his arrogance with the Media seems constant.

Monty. Also an undoubted talent (in his day), but for a large proportion of the watching public, including me, he just comes across a big spoilt brat, and very difficult to warm to as Brendy says.

Correct me if I am wrong but you said you need a Captain to show emotion and passion.....if you have not seen Monty showing any of those during his career and especially during the Ryder Cup you must be Stevie Wonders twin brother!

C

CannyFifer

how mant Monty bashing threads have been on here over the past few weeks, deserved his chance and got it, end off. the News of the world :eek: even the sunday sport is closer to reality :D

B

birdieman

how mant Monty bashing threads have been on here over the past few weeks, deserved his chance and got it, end off. the News of the world :eek: even the sunday sport is closer to reality :D

I wasn't bashing Monty, was interested in folks thoughts about this fairly relevant story given RC is coming around quick.
Agree the NOTW is a rag but this is not a made up story, Monty has been 'playing away', he hasn't denied it I don't think.
After trying to give his team an advantage by saying TW would struggle, he has done something similar himself, though clearly he's not in the same league as Mr Woods in the bedding loose women stakes. It was Monty's ex apparently which doesn't seem quite so bad somehow.

Pavin hasn't escaped either, apparently he was quoted a while ago as saying Tiger would defo play, now he has changed his mind and claims he was mis-quoted, the journo in question stormed up to him and called him a liar to his face!

Who'd be a RC captain? :eek: