Mizuno...

miniTIGER95

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just ordered some, 7-10 days!! grrr... If your a good ball striker they are a stunning club.. im off 21!
I might look closer at them then, 7-10 days will be worth it though haha, and im not too sure if i am really, hit my 8I around 115-120 consistently and 6 iron 155, 5 iron 170-175, but i struggle off the tee, so i think im not a bad ball striker with my irons. Did you get them custom fitted?

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I might look closer at them then, 7-10 days will be worth it though haha, and im not too sure if i am really, hit my 8I around 115-120 consistently and 6 iron 155, 5 iron 170-175, but i struggle off the tee, so i think im not a bad ball striker with my irons. Did you get them custom fitted?

yep, my place do swing dna and have the box of heads and shafts etc

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

You might find a slight loss in distance switching to a soft forged club I know i have.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Oh really? I thought id gain distance and supposedly loose consistency, are the only benefits of soft forged clubs shot shaping ability?

Why would you think you would gain distance, smaller head and softer metal = loss of distance against cast heads i would imagine.

They are great clubs don't get me wrong i love mine, but there will be days they are hard to hit, and thining a fordged blade on a cold day an't much fun.

and i know you could get away with buying a set Mizuno blades but they do recommend low to mid handicap which aint 20+.

I'm an ok ball striker playing off 9, not sure you can say that playing off 20+

I've even though of getting something more forgiving myself, as i gen belive i'm not good enough to be using mine. :(

Don't want too put you off but , have a think and a damd good try of some.

miniTIGER95

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why would you think you would gain distance, smaller head and softer metal = loss of distance against cast heads i would imagine.

They are great clubs don't get me wrong i love mine, but there will be days they are hard to hit, and thining a fordged blade on a cold day an't much fun.

and i know you could get away with buying a set Mizuno blades but they do recommend low to mid handicap which aint 20+.

I'm an ok ball striker playing off 9, not sure you can say that playing off 20+

I've even though of getting something more forgiving myself, as i gen belive i'm not good enough to be using mine. :(

Don't want too put you off but , have a think and a damd good try of some.
I dunno how i got to that conclusion if im honest, just thought lighter head + smaller head = more club head speed, and i thought that since nearly all the pros use them they must be getting more distance ( im stupid i know). And i know where your coming from about the h/c and the ball striker thing, but iron play is the strongest part of my game, one i start hitting it a bit straighter off the tee ( lesson on that last saturday) and my short game improves, practising it loads i will be put down a load of shots, and my last four or five rounds have all been +16 - + 17

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I dunno how i got to that conclusion if im honest, just thought lighter head + smaller head = more club head speed, and i thought that since nearly all the pros use them they must be getting more distance ( im stupid i know). And i know where your coming from about the h/c and the ball striker thing, but iron play is the strongest part of my game, one i start hitting it a bit straighter off the tee ( lesson on that last saturday) and my short game improves, practising it loads i will be put down a load of shots, and my last four or five rounds have all been +16 - + 17

Hey its your money at the end of the day, What are you talking £700 or there abouts.

I started playing 6 years ago and had a set of Cast mx17 and from a 24 handicap to a 10 in two years and when i got to 10 i treated myself to a forged set.
Theres guys on here who are more interested in what they have in there bag rather than anything else. Why make the game harder than it needs to be just for the sake of it. why not get yourself down to a target then when you get there treat youself as a reward.
You know it makes sense Rodders;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mizuno make great irons. End of argument. Had a set way back in the mists of time. Would I go back? Well I tried the JPX800 pros when they came out and they and the Ping I15s were the closest to the R11 in terms of being the best clubs I'd hit. I was even given the chance to get a set of I15 or JPX pros as a Chrimbo present but at the time thought I was changing for change sake.

I've not hit any of the latest offerings but I'm guessing the MP53 would be the onese closest suited to my ability. I've not tried the swing DNA gizmo but this seems to be a gimmick and not sure how it can really fit you for a shaft on the basis of the shot hit and the results it gives alone

miniTIGER95

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hey its your money at the end of the day, What are you talking £700 or there abouts.

I started playing 6 years ago and had a set of Cast mx17 and from a 24 handicap to a 10 in two years and when i got to 10 i treated myself to a forged set.
Theres guys on here who are more interested in what they have in there bag rather than anything else. Why make the game harder than it needs to be just for the sake of it. why not get yourself down to a target then when you get there treat youself as a reward.
You know it makes sense Rodders;)
Haha thats a good idea, When I get down to a official handicap of 10 i will treat myself to some new irons, and a new bag, and a scotty cameron putter, oh and i need some new fairway woods, i just hope i win the lottery before i treat myself haha. Don't get me wrong i don't care what i use as long as i get the ball into the hole in the least amount of shots as possible :)

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For my preferences on the website they recommend the JPX800's anyone heard of/ got these?

I have a set of the JPX800's and although they are not forged or blades I believe they are brilliant clubs.

If you are playing over 20, definetely give them a hit, I have dropped my handicap from 23 to 16 with them. Very forgiving and long.

I would say though - it can be hard to shape the ball with them, they just want to go straight

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
They had a Mizuno Demo day at my club last week, full whack iron cart and bags full of woods and wedges. Had a go with the DNA it recommended DG S300 ,PX5.5 and KBS tour S also the clubs were JPX 800 Pro and JPX 800.My average swing speed was 83mph with the DNA but when using a PX 5.0 I got an average of 85mph with a JPX Pro.

The guy had a trackman but didn't pay much attention to it as it was straight into a 20mph wind, i really like that combination of head and shaft got decent distance and flight into the wind.

The MP650 Driver was suprisingly good it had a stiff Fujikura shaft in it ,great flight and distance a good 10 yards further than my R11

miniTIGER95

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They had a Mizuno Demo day at my club last week, full whack iron cart and bags full of woods and wedges. Had a go with the DNA it recommended DG S300 ,PX5.5 and KBS tour S also the clubs were JPX 800 Pro and JPX 800.My average swing speed was 83mph with the DNA but when using a PX 5.0 I got an average of 85mph with a JPX Pro.

The guy had a trackman but didn't pay much attention to it as it was straight into a 20mph wind, i really like that combination of head and shaft got decent distance and flight into the wind.

The MP650 Driver was suprisingly good it had a stiff Fujikura shaft in it ,great flight and distance a good 10 yards further than my R11
Really? im suprised about the driver, might have to have a look at them then :)

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're still growing (and at 16 you probably still are) I'd probably say to persevere with the Nikes until such time that you've got a repeatable swing and you're not likely to grow 3 inches in a fortnight.

Mizuno do make lovely clubs though :thup:

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Has anybody tried the mizuno fitting center thing? they have one at my course was going to try it out, as i am not getting on with my nike slingshots at the moment, i think they are too bulky for me.:lol:

It's the thick top edge on the slingers that I don't like. They've served me well for a couple of years, but it's definitely time to move on and away from them.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've not tried the swing DNA gizmo but this seems to be a gimmick and not sure how it can really fit you for a shaft on the basis of the shot hit and the results it gives alone

HJS, have a look on the Mizuno site about how the DNA device works. It measures where the stresses in the shaft are during the swing and gives 3 recommendations based on that. You still have to try the shafts as it can't predict which one each player will actually prefer. Check out some of the comments on the Mizuno Forum as well where the consensus is that it gives very good results in terms of the suitability and subsequent correctness of the recommendations in practice even when these were not as expected.

As you are a keen tryer outer I'd be interesed in what you thought having given it a go.