Mizuno wedge fitting

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was fitted for 50*, 54* & 58* wedges all with low bounce.
We spoke about loft gaps that fit in with my irons as my PW is 46* and it would keep it all consistent through the bag, that was pretty much common sense to be fair but I wasnt as aware of the effects on bounce though.
The fitter had me play a variety of different shots with different wedges and asked me how to I like to play the shots, ball position etc. He also asked where I would play most of my golf, typical turf conditions etc.

It then became fairly clear that low bounce was best for me as I like to play a lot of short game shots off the back foot and have the leading edge almost clipping the ball away (if that makes sense?).

Perfect sense. Expecting a Mickleson like short game this year from you

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Wanted to say thank you to Golf Monthly and Mizuno for a great fitting, can't wait to get my wedges and get them out in the real world. It was great meeting Ade too, good luck with the little one and getting out and playing.

I will echo Ade's post. It was a great day, really interesting to see all the options and what they did depending on how you set up and play different shots.

I had a small issue with my set, the gap between 9 and PW was around 20 yards, which is too big. But my clubs are very old and I am looking to upgrade to something newer so Matt (Mizuno) was stuck between gapping me with my current iron set and giving me an independent wedge system which can be worked backwards from when I get new clubs.

As a result I was very lucky and got 4 new wedges, so that they will gap with my current set and when I get a new set of irons they can be fitted backwards.

I was fitted for a 48, 52, 56 degree wedge with mid bounce and a 60 with high bounce. The bounce was very interesting, though I set up with the traditional way with the ball back in my stance, which would normally mean a low bounce, Matt said that I actually get my hand through and under the ball meaning that I would need some bounce, hence the mid bounce. Very interesting as it's not something that you can easily tell yourself. Especially if your like me and set up unconventionally for your swing.

They also did the Swing DNA with me, which is a little device they have on the shaft that reads the swing speed; tempo; release and some other data that is unique to each golfer. It came up for me that the KBS Tour X is the best shaft for me in a normal set of irons so they are going to put in the KBS Tour wedge specific shafts in the wedges.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wanted to say thank you to Golf Monthly and Mizuno for a great fitting, can't wait to get my wedges and get them out in the real world. It was great meeting Ade too, good luck with the little one and getting out and playing.

I will echo Ade's post. It was a great day, really interesting to see all the options and what they did depending on how you set up and play different shots.

I had a small issue with my set, the gap between 9 and PW was around 20 yards, which is too big. But my clubs are very old and I am looking to upgrade to something newer so Matt (Mizuno) was stuck between gapping me with my current iron set and giving me an independent wedge system which can be worked backwards from when I get new clubs.

As a result I was very lucky and got 4 new wedges, so that they will gap with my current set and when I get a new set of irons they can be fitted backwards.

I was fitted for a 48, 52, 56 degree wedge with mid bounce and a 60 with high bounce. The bounce was very interesting, though I set up with the traditional way with the ball back in my stance, which would normally mean a low bounce, Matt said that I actually get my hand through and under the ball meaning that I would need some bounce, hence the mid bounce. Very interesting as it's not something that you can easily tell yourself. Especially if your like me and set up unconventionally for your swing.

They also did the Swing DNA with me, which is a little device they have on the shaft that reads the swing speed; tempo; release and some other data that is unique to each golfer. It came up for me that the KBS Tour X is the best shaft for me in a normal set of irons so they are going to put in the KBS Tour wedge specific shafts in the wedges.

Excellent insight into the process - thank you. Nice to see that they did a very personal fitting for you and your current clubs to set you up going forwards.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice! Love Mizuno, classy outfit. Thanks for the write-up chaps, hope those new grooves rip into the handicap this year :)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wedges arrived last evening, I thought that was very quick service. 4 working days to be made in Cumbernauld and delivered to Oxford!
Looking forward to using them tomorrow and at the weekend.