Missing an Iron, Should I.....?

A

Alex1975

As I have commented on in some other posts, I snapped an iron shaft yesterday. It was my 7 iron, I have no idea how it happened but it snapped about 3 inches from the bottom of the shaft. I have had them a long time and they have been great for me. They are as per my bio Wilson Deep Red and for those that may not know they have a fat shaft. If they did not I would just have the shaft replaced but in this case (I am told) the shaft fits around the hozzol (sp?) and not in it, so they have to go back to Wilson. I have talked to Wilson and they have told me I have to go through a Wilson dealer. I have been quoted £40-£50.

I am in the market for a new set of irons anyway, I don’t have the money, but my wife has been warned that that is what I want and as the last person to touch my 7 iron before it was found broken I think I will get a new set sometime early next year maybe.

My buddy has given me a set of Taylor Made RAC OS2 that he got a while back and did not get on with. I know nothing about them but it may be that they are more aimed at the better player and I think I am still what you call a game improver.

Should I go with the Taylor Made or stick with my Wilsons without a 7 iron?

If you have any knowledge of these TM RAC OS2 irons that would be great.

Any thoughts welcome please?

Alex

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Plent of time between now and early next year to test run the Taylor Made's - if you like them you've cracked it!

It's always important to lay the blame in golf on HID if you can and "being the last one to touch them" is quite creative I think - I assume she was cleaning them for you?

Chris

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If youre not getting on with the RACs then id go back to the Wilsons. If you cant get the 7 iron replaced maybe worth getting your 8 iron strengthened a degree or two and your 6 iron weakened a bit to make the gaps a bit more regular

Alternatively there is a site for buying 1 off irons, ill try and find it (with a 7 iron youve a fair chance of a demo model somewhere)

A

Alex1975

i was warming up and she was hitting a few balls off the super high driving tee as she does sometimes, she only hits it like 50 yards so im not even sure she would notice if the shaft was cracked. but i am dubbing it as "you broke my 7 iron" even if it heppend in the boot on the way up or on the way home last time I played.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
You can get a fat shaft demo six iron on ebay for £6.99 plus P&P, I am sure local pro could remove and adjust

If not I would just play without it, I would not add the other 7 iron as it will different play different and only confuse matters

A

Alex1975

nice one Fundy.

Now I have played with google a little I am finding reviews saying they are more for beginers. I have found all sorts of reviews saying all sorts of different things.

Picking them up tonight, ill play them tomorrow, i cant stand the idea of having a missing club.

A

Alex1975

You can get a fat shaft demo six iron on ebay for £6.99 plus P&P, I am sure local pro could remove and adjust

If not I would just play without it, I would not add the other 7 iron as it will different play different and only confuse matters

oh hell no, it will be the full set of TMs or the Wilson with one missing, I dont want to play a odd club.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
oh hell no, it will be the full set of TMs or the Wilson with one missing, I dont want to play a odd club.

I would go for the TMs. I would use this as a chance to use them and it also allows you lots of time to find the "right" clubs for you to buy. If the TMs are it then great if not you wont have to rush in and buy the first set you try (mistake I made, but I still like them just wish Id tried more)

I couldnt play without a 7 iron as its my go to club in lots of situations.

A

Alex1975

Well in contrast to everything i said.... I got the TMs last night and gave them a good clean and loving. Went to the range before my round today and hit a basket with them, they sucked for me, I just hated the ball flight and they just seemed to play short. I dumped them before the round and played my Wilsons without a 7 iron. I think I must have reached for my 7 Iron about a million times.

Im going to have to get the Wilson fixed or replaced as i dont have the budget for new irons right now as much as i would sell my sole for them. after playing the TMs on the range it made me realise the Wilsons realy do well for me, and thats all that matter right?