Milngavie GC - Opinions

r1965h

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi, I played it back it 1997 and thought it was a really good course. Very pretty and a good layout.

I paid £8 to play it on Saturday afternoon which was a bit cheaper then the £100 I paid the next day to play Loch Lomond.

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone here have experience of Milngavie GC? I have a complementary there on Monday morning with a view to possibly joining next year. Any comments would be welcome.

Prize for anyone south of the border who can pronounce it correctly! :D

I played it last year and enjoyed it. Nice course and nice layout and was in good condition.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played it earlier in the year (when we finally found the course - its hidden up a farm track)
bit hilly for my liking and its got that strange grass that stops the ball from rolling!
the holes are nice - no deja vu
clubhouse is fuctional - food was OK
probably wouldnt be my top pick of courses in the west!

T

thecraw

Very nice track in my opinion set out in the country. I much prefer it to both the Hilton Park courses. The greens are decent however my 3 mates left it last year as its always wet and medals were always busy with 5 plus hour rounds.

What's wrong with the Vale?

Erskine is on your doorstep, by the time you factor travelling over to Milngavie and back then your probably just as cheap joining on your doorstep. I'd rate Erskine better than Milngavie.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very nice track in my opinion set out in the country. I much prefer it to both the Hilton Park courses. The greens are decent however my 3 mates left it last year as its always wet and medals were always busy with 5 plus hour rounds.

What's wrong with the Vale?

Erskine is on your doorstep, by the time you factor travelling over to Milngavie and back then your probably just as cheap joining on your doorstep. I'd rate Erskine better than Milngavie.

Course wise I love the Vale Craw, it's improved my game no end, particularly in terms of course management. There are a number of reasons why I am considering possibly moving on however.

I'm looking for clubs that do a restricted/ off peak/ 5 day membership (which Erskine do) and whilst Erskine would be ideal, is just beyond my means TBH as they still have a fairly hefty joining fee I believe.

Wet is a reoccurring unavoidable theme over here really though. Had the misfortune to play Dumbarton on Thursday, in the Pro's words the course was not at it's absolute best (fair enough, it is October) and was a bit damp in places - but of an understatement should have been closed IMO, lakes everywhere, already on winter greens on most holes - one of which was a good 120 yards short of the normal green. Not the most interesting of courses I'm afraid.