Mid round snacks

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was at the dentist last week. She said I had significant decay, and asked about my diet. I'm not one for sweets or biscuits or sugar in drinks. I did mention I played golf 3-4 times a week and tend to have an energy bar while walking round.

She reckoned the sugar in these is the cause of the decay, exacerbated by the fact that I'm not brushing my teeth until bedtime.

She advised I change to a lump of cheese or carrot sticks, neither of which appeals. Fruit is not a good idea due to sugar levels.

Any suggestions for a healthy alternative?

D

Deleted member 23344

Trail mix is supposed to be good … not sure how that is for sugar though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends what you mean by energy bar? You could always go for the Eat Natural brand for example, or the Nakd ones which I think are pretty much just made of crushed fruits and nothing else.

I use these at the moment, but I must admit I've not bothered checking how much sugar is in them: https://www.naturevalley.co.uk/what-we-make/protein-peanut-chocolate/

Although just a pot of unsalted nuts would work fine as mentioned above.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Depends what you mean by energy bar? You could always go for the Eat Natural brand for example, or the Nakd ones which I think are pretty much just made of crushed fruits and nothing else.

I use these at the moment, but I must admit I've not bothered checking how much sugar is in them: https://www.naturevalley.co.uk/what-we-make/protein-peanut-chocolate/

Although just a pot of unsalted nuts would work fine as mentioned above.

I normally buy the Eat Natural bars, but it turns out they are one of the worst for sugar!
Eat Natural – 1/5
Darker Chocolate with Almonds and Apricots
Cals – 194
Protein – 4g
Fibre – 3g
Sugars – 16g
Low in protein and fibre and with the equivalent of 4 teaspoons of sugar, this isn’t a great option in energy terms. The sugar content is consistently high across the range and the protein content varies from 2g to 9g depending on the product.

https://www.well-well-well.co.uk/cereal-bars-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly

Am going to have a look for Pulsin and Bounce Balls.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I normally buy the Eat Natural bars, but it turns out they are one of the worst for sugar!
Eat Natural – 1/5
Darker Chocolate with Almonds and Apricots
Cals – 194
Protein – 4g
Fibre – 3g
Sugars – 16g
Low in protein and fibre and with the equivalent of 4 teaspoons of sugar, this isn’t a great option in energy terms. The sugar content is consistently high across the range and the protein content varies from 2g to 9g depending on the product.

https://www.well-well-well.co.uk/cereal-bars-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly

Am going to have a look for Pulsin and Bounce Balls.
Wow, haha. Fair enough. I find it hard to follow anyway because sometimes the sugar comes from fruit and I thought fruit was meant to be good for you. It's a minefield. I like the Nature Valley peanut & chocolate bars and still have a massive box of them at home so I'll be sticking with them for a while!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've gone over to Nature Valley bars, they have them in Morrisons, as a pp gave me one recently and they were lovely. No chocolate so no melting but you would need to check if they are loaded with sweet stuff to make them taste nicer. I suspect they may well be but it is worth checking.

These breakfast bar snacks are naughtier than they should be but I reckon they are still better for teeth than my previous go to, a KitKat chunky. I do miss them though :love:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the sugar in energy bars is quite different to the sugar found in fruit... Or at least I hope it is :)

I tend to go with strawberries, grapes, peaches, etc.

Boomy

Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the sugar in energy bars is quite different to the sugar found in fruit... Or at least I hope it is :)

I tend to go with strawberries, grapes, peaches, etc.

Fruit sugar is fructose, which is quite often in energy bars although they do tend to favour dextrose as it’s a lot cheaper to produce. Dextrose is generally easier on the tummy than fructose but neither are kind on the teeth.

The sugar in fruit hits the teeth the same as the sugar in an energy bar - if it’s got sugar in and you chew it….. (or drink it with regard to smoothies)

The key is balance - eat fruit, but be sensible. Eat energy bars, try to find ones with minimal added sugar, but be sensible. Sugar is evil stuff and more addictive than people think!

Boomy

Visit site
Will have plenty of water but it's a round of golf not a 20 mile hike so won't bother with any scran.

Depends what time we tee off.. if I’ve just had breakfast and/or lunch I don’t bother. If we tee off mid morning I take a snack to act as lunch as I’m no use without energy ?

D

Deleted member 3432

Depends what time we tee off.. if I’ve just had breakfast and/or lunch I don’t bother. If we tee off mid morning I take a snack to act as lunch as I’m no use without energy ?
Keep out of the heather to conserve energy ?