Michael Campbell

TRS30

Head Pro
Visit site
I feel sorry for him, every event he plays he seems to be last on the leaderboard.

Must be hard after been so good to have such a fall off in form, hopefully he can do a Westwood or Stricker and get back to the top.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why did Jack Nicklaus bother in 1986, he was on a mega slump.
I understand why you ask though, Id take him on for a tenner! haha.

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
I guess, but Nicklaus had a proven track record at Augusta.

Campbell just seems to come last in every major he plays in. It must bring his playing partners down surely?

Makes a bit of a mockery of the whole exemption thing I think. Isn't this year his last exemption year?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was a bad draw for Simon Dyson, having to play with Campbell hacking it round and Ben Crane playing just quick enough to get round before the sun sets.

B

birdieman

Strange turnaround, he was always a streaky form player but hard to believe a guy who held off Tiger round Pinehurst to win the US Open can turn so poor.
Probably still hits a great ball but that ability to score has vanished. I don't think it would hinder partners, he just takes loads of bogeys.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Campbell has had a slump before, from after the 1995 Open where he had a decent run, for a couple of years.

I think he is showing a lot of courage by plugging away trying to find his game rather than just giving up.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I remember seeing him in the early/mid 90's and he was a stunning golfer - firing in a string of birdies one day, and blowing up the next.

I was stunned when he was able to hold it together enough to win a Major, and his recent decline has been very sad for me to see.

On his day, he was a great golfer

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good luck to him I say. Look at Duval, he's stuck at it and has had some decent results recently. Don't think he should be critcised for sticking at it, easy option would be to wimp out

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good luck to him I say. Look at Duval, he's stuck at it and has had some decent results recently. Don't think he should be critcised for sticking at it, easy option would be to wimp out

I agree playing through it will help im sure he will come out the other side a good player again,its small margins for big gains.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with the Duval comparison. Wasn't he down in the 500's in the world rankings and has slowly crept back up. I'm not sure if Campbell has his card in Europe this season but he was making a few cuts last year and for a while looked like he was turning a corner.

painterboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why does he bother?

Because he thinks he can turn it around.The last thing he needs is for someone to say why bother.

Exemptions are part of the prize for winning.
The golf world would be a worse place without it.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think Michael has won anything for years. (5?)
It is sad to see him turn up and play worse than everyone else in the field, but he has won the right to be there and if he enjoys it, so be it. Maybe he likes to go and play and be "part of it all" even if his game is not what it used to be.