Merseyside Area

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thank you, this is really helpful. I emailed a couple of them recently and JFs are between £2.3-2.9k, which is ridiculous tbh. However I haven’t received a reply from three so far; West Lancs, Formby & Hoylake.

I’d much prefer Wallasey out of all of the links courses, however the JF there is £2.6k right now, and that’s far too steep. So leads me to ask, would you or anyone else know if these high JFs are a more recent thing? They all did say they’re full, in part due to the now well-known post lockdown surge in membership.

As for Leasowe, I like playing it, but not enough to pay almost a grand unfortunately. As for West Lancs, I haven’t heard back from them, but perhaps you’d have a idea how much subs and JF are there please? I’ll call them if not...

Thanks for the suggestion and advice. I’m 42, so would have to pay the full amount. I’m definitely keen to meet up with you to play, although I’m not keen on a parkland membership as such, because I much prefer links (and where found, heathland) golf...that I chose a course in Wales as my main one says it all I guess :).

This said, I just wish there was a more affordable quality links option in the region. It seems to be just about the only area of the UK & Ireland where you can’t find many normal priced options for links golf!

Some of my info is about 3-4 years old but them JF's seem about right, although Wallasey's was only about £1,850 then, gone up a lot since and I heard that Formby was 5k, but only a rumour.

I think Leasowe's fees are less than £800 last year, though may have gone up. As Davey said, WL had the highest green fees and joining fees.

One option that isnt links, but is heathland is Delamere - have you played there? Its a cracker, and a bit more than a parkland. May be more affordable also.

Are you north end or south end?

The Lion

Visit site
I’ve heard west lancs has the dearest joining fee in the area (circa £3k) A real shame for me as I’m only a couple of miles away ??

That said, I have a big holiday refund coming.... I reckon I’d be ok with living in a bedsit on my own. Compromises innit ?

This is interesting haha. 3k is a lot, and the highest to date! I sent them a tweet yesterday, so let’s see what happens. Perhaps they might have a winter golf option. It’s possible...

If you live up in Crosby area, Hesketh may be good for you! JF “only” £1.9k lol.

Some of my info is about 3-4 years old but them JF's seem about right, although Wallasey's was only about £1,850 then, gone up a lot since and I heard that Formby was 5k, but only a rumour.

I think Leasowe's fees are less than £800 last year, though may have gone up. As Davey said, WL had the highest green fees and joining fees.

One option that isnt links, but is heathland is Delamere - have you played there? Its a cracker, and a bit more than a parkland. May be more affordable also.

Are you north end or south end?

I get the feeling from what you guys have said, plus my own research, that they’re all maxed out in membership and thus JFs are at an all time high. With serious economic issues on the way, that may not last.

As for the golf around here, Leasowe had an offer after lockdown; it may have been as low as 750, but definitely gone now as their website lists full at 975. They also had a 3 month trial membership over the summer for 250. Decent! Winter golf is listed as 360 on their site actually, so that might work.

https://www.leasowegolfclub.co.uk/membership/join-our-club

Delamere is a good idea actually - thanks. Not played there yet, but it’s on the list. The ridiculous toll plus 50-55 minute driving time through some potentially high traffic areas might not make it viable though...my own North Wales takes 1h25 usually.

https://www.delameregolf.co.uk/membership

I checked it out in any case, and it transpires they have a strictly limited membership, and the application process is very old school! Maybe worth a punt...

I’m based in Walton, so North. Well located on the main road network for almost everything...if only there was a suitable club. The moors around Manchester have some decent courses, however again it’s an hour plus, with traffic and roadworks on top.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The ' golf coast' courses are Brill, hence the top dollar price tag. I play at Blundells Hill, great park lay out, drains pretty well and no winter mats.... No joining fee at the minute... Have a nosey and if you fancy a game, drop me a line!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is interesting haha. 3k is a lot, and the highest to date! I sent them a tweet yesterday, so let’s see what happens. Perhaps they might have a winter golf option. It’s possible...

If you live up in Crosby area, Hesketh may be good for you! JF “only” £1.9k lol.

I get the feeling from what you guys have said, plus my own research, that they’re all maxed out in membership and thus JFs are at an all time high. With serious economic issues on the way, that may not last.

As for the golf around here, Leasowe had an offer after lockdown; it may have been as low as 750, but definitely gone now as their website lists full at 975. They also had a 3 month trial membership over the summer for 250. Decent! Winter golf is listed as 360 on their site actually, so that might work.

https://www.leasowegolfclub.co.uk/membership/join-our-club

Delamere is a good idea actually - thanks. Not played there yet, but it’s on the list. The ridiculous toll plus 50-55 minute driving time through some potentially high traffic areas might not make it viable though...my own North Wales takes 1h25 usually.

https://www.delameregolf.co.uk/membership

I checked it out in any case, and it transpires they have a strictly limited membership, and the application process is very old school! Maybe worth a punt...

I’m based in Walton, so North. Well located on the main road network for almost everything...if only there was a suitable club. The moors around Manchester have some decent courses, however again it’s an hour plus, with traffic and roadworks on top.

You could go the other way, if your outside the (50 mile??? limit) and go to St. Annes old links, near Blackpool, you can do it on a good run from Walton in 40-45 minutes, possibly.

Junior (on here) may be able to give you more details, as he was a country member for 2 years iirc, but think the put the fees right up one year, although they may have been bringing them back down the next year after complaints, possibly.