Merino wool baselayers.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep have one from Icebreaker. Probably the best I've tried, combined with a merino wool top it's awesome.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Highly recommended. Found a nice top in a TOG 24 outlet store, 50% off and a high quality bit of kit. Layer it under a decent windproof top and you're away.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I though GG etc recommended MM fibers under waterproofs and that natural fibers caused condensation...

No idea, they might well have done?! Only got out three times (before my back went) and the combo was excellent... I used the merino with a polo shirt and a GG windstopper as felt very comfortable

U

User62651

Wear them for skiing or cold weather at home, if you want a bargain Aldi do them as part of their skiwear range, cheaper than anyone else and the quality is fine. Tend to sell out quickly. Comfy and dont become smelly as quickly as polyester base layers.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Just gone back to wearing wool layers in the cold we have been having, and realise it is much warmer than the MM stuff. You just need a windshell on top and all is good. The only benefit I can see with the MM stuff is that it is potentially more water resistant and wicks better.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting thread. Never considered merino base layers and have always gone for the man made (Under Armour etc). May have to consider getting one

Got one of the mountain warehouse ones to try.

I've got fed up with my ua ones, they all seem to ride up so by the end of the round it feels like I'm wearing a bra.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got one of the mountain warehouse ones to try.

I've got fed up with my ua ones, they all seem to ride up so by the end of the round it feels like I'm wearing a bra.

Played yesterday with the merino baselayer, got to say in the wind,rain,sleet and snow my top half never felt cold.

now got to try and find something to keep my hands warm