Membership Offer With a Difference

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
There are some folk who strangely delight in the troubles of others... a chap I used to work with who was a member at a pretty unremarkable course used to start many a conversation with, "I've been hearing....." then you know that some scoop about bad news at XYZ GC would follow. Was virtually always nonsense! :)

I'd no idea where this was was, had to Google it. We've now got 3 pages of folk talking about it. That's good marketing if nothing else!

Would love to know if it works out, you'll see it repeated. :)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've played Frodsham in the past. It's an OK course but nothing remarkable. I know that also they have issues as a public footpath ran through the course and so you'd have walkers crossing the fairways without looking.
A friend of mine was a member there for a while but left in the end as (and I don't know if it's changed now) it relied a lot on income from visiting parties, to the detriment of playing times for members. And he said a few other members were the same.
Bearing in mind this is about 10 years ago so no idea what it's like now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, this. If you're trying to work out the value of it I wouldn't assume that anyone is going to rock up every single day for their 3 pints and free sandwich and chips. As stated most people are going to be driving so that rules out the three pints for a start. And most people don't play golf every single day.
If I lived local I would join even if I didn’t play golf.
Three pint with lunch then a little walk home that’s a pensioners dream deal.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
W

What you on about?
You’ve posted about the course from the fact you know it, I posted about those who haven’t got a clue or probably couldn’t even tell you were Frodsham is.
Homer even suggested they could be encouraging drink driving ffs! Grant goes on about it being on it’s last legs.
Like I and others said, they are trying something different, good luck to them, I’d probably guess if successful all aspects of the business would benefit.

Really? So you don't have any members that drink at your club at the weekend and still drive? I simply stated some members would be tempted to take up the offer. You would hope in this day and age they would be responsible but somehow I doubt it. As others have said, it smacks more of a club in desperation trying anything to eek a few more quid to keep going

Fish

Banned
Visit site
All dependent on who gets full value and who doesn't. If 5 people join on this and use £400 worth of food and drink, at cost, then the club have the regular £500 fee and are another £100 up per person. Only 5 people but still a profit. If they have someone who is retired, eats and drinks for England then they are in big trouble. More people spreads the risk, no question.

I played at a meet at Hobbits old club, Cleveland, and afterwards one of the locals was talking about the turnover of beer in the clubhouse and what the average bar card spend was. Scary doesn't cover it. They could not run that scheme there, unless the membership fee was about £3k :LOL:

That [golf club] almost doubles up as local pub come social club, it's rammed all the time, members and guests go in no different to us popping down the local, its brilliantly organised and set up, such is its location to the town.

My average bar spend per year is around £1700 :eek:, bit more when I play for more of the clubs teams

D

Deleted member 16999

Really? So you don't have any members that drink at your club at the weekend and still drive? I simply stated some members would be tempted to take up the offer. You would hope in this day and age they would be responsible but somehow I doubt it. As others have said, it smacks more of a club in desperation trying anything to eek a few more quid to keep going
What has my Club got to do with Frodsham? Maybe it’s touched a nerve with you:unsure:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What has my Club got to do with Frodsham? Maybe it’s touched a nerve with you:unsure:

You could make the same point against most clubs and perhaps the point resonates more with you? I know at mine some do drive when they would probably be over the limit and would have had 3 pints so all I am implying (and something you seem weirdly protective off) is that under the membership on offer, some would visit the club regularly and have their 3 pints and go home. I have also said if you stop trying to argue the toss that I did think it was good for a club to try and find a different way to attract new members. That said, having also heard from some on here that the conditioning has gone downhill in recent years you have to wonder about their longevity

D

Deleted member 16999

You could make the same point against most clubs and perhaps the point resonates more with you? I know at mine some do drive when they would probably be over the limit and would have had 3 pints so all I am implying (and something you seem weirdly protective off) is that under the membership on offer, some would visit the club regularly and have their 3 pints and go home. I have also said if you stop trying to argue the toss that I did think it was good for a club to try and find a different way to attract new members. That said, having also heard from some on here that the conditioning has gone downhill in recent years you have to wonder about their longevity
You’re looking for an issue, maybe the 3 Pints is to make people think about not drinking and driving, ie, most people think 2 is ok and if they want the 3 they won’t take the car or will stop after 2 and the business benefits.

Either way it’s their business decision and good look to them.

Nice deflection on questioning whether it resonates with me by the way, what’s the old saying?:unsure:
Oh yes, People in glasshouses shouldn’t throw stones.:coffee:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You’re looking for an issue, maybe the 3 Pints is to make people think about not drinking and driving, ie, most people think 2 is ok and if they want the 3 they won’t take the car or will stop after 2 and the business benefits.

Either way it’s their business decision and good look to them.

Nice deflection on questioning whether it resonates with me by the way, what’s the old saying?:unsure:
Oh yes, People in glasshouses shouldn’t throw stones.:coffee:

For the record, as a one car family I NEVER drive to the course and leave my wife without any transport and similarly those that know me from meets will know she usually drops me off and takes the car. From that perspective I am lucky enough to be able to have a few beers and not have the temptation of getting into my car

D

Deleted member 16999

For the record, as a one car family I NEVER drive to the course and leave my wife without any transport and similarly those that know me from meets will know she usually drops me off and takes the car. From that perspective I am lucky enough to be able to have a few beers and not have the temptation of getting into my car
But it’s ok to question others when there is no evidence of them ever having any issues with alcohol.(y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I lived local I would join even if I didn’t play golf.
Three pint with lunch then a little walk home that’s a pensioners dream deal.
In fairness, if you took the five day membership for £900, you'd only have to go down there three times a week and it would work out as lunch and three pints for £5.77 each time. Nice!