Mellow Yellow

JoeR161

www.golfforecast.co.uk
Wow, there's such a natural, gradual change until we hit the 2010-2015 period - then a huge shift to SNP. Surprising it took so long, unlikely to last though - would be interesting to see an updated version of this in 10 years

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Wow, there's such a natural, gradual change until we hit the 2010-2015 period - then a huge shift to SNP. Surprising it took so long, unlikely to last though - would be interesting to see an updated version of this in 10 years

Tories came into power, on the back of a very poor performing Labour govt. SNP offered nirvana, continued spending preferring to follow Greece's method of ignoring austerity.

Is it sustainable? Probably not but that doesn't mean the SNP will continue to spend recklessly.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A party that won't take the electorates answer?
This post is correct. A fair referendum was held and the people voted against it. The SNP is a party whose cornerstone is independence. The SNP will not take the electorates answer. All we get from them "when can we have another vote?"
I am a big believer in the Union, but even I find myself wishing Scotland had voted to leave. A lot of English people who have expressed a view to me say the same and I am very surprised by this. After the referendum everyone thought the issue was resolved and we could move on. People are now frankly sick to the back teeth of the constant whinging we get on a daily basis from the SNP and this is, quite wrongly but understandably, attributed to the Scottish people. When you say its wrong, the answer always points to maps like this. If the Scots don't want the constant whinging of Sturgeon or independence, why do they vote SNP in such numbers? It's hard to refute.
It causes great division. A Visit Scotland advert on TV the other night was met with "cheeky...." And "they hate us but still want our money". My groups annual trip north, going for 25 years hasn't happened for the last 3 years. Last year they voted to go to Wales, this year it's cancelled.
Everyone other than the staunchest of Nationalists know independence would have been disastrous economically, but the SNP are in complete denial. My experience of the view south of the border is one of vindication. In other words, we told them so. If they didn't heed our warnings they would have deserved it. Us and them. What kind of a Union is that?
The end result is, in the past this illustration of the Scottish vote would have interested me and indeed given me great concern. Now though, I frankly couldn't give two hoots. If that is what the Scottish people want then get on with it. Make your minds up and move on. The rest of us are sick of it.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
This post is correct. A fair referendum was held and the people voted against it. The SNP is a party whose cornerstone is independence. The SNP will not take the electorates answer. All we get from them "when can we have another vote?"
I am a big believer in the Union, but even I find myself wishing Scotland had voted to leave. A lot of English people who have expressed a view to me say the same and I am very surprised by this. After the referendum everyone thought the issue was resolved and we could move on. People are now frankly sick to the back teeth of the constant whinging we get on a daily basis from the SNP and this is, quite wrongly but understandably, attributed to the Scottish people. When you say its wrong, the answer always points to maps like this. If the Scots don't want the constant whinging of Sturgeon or independence, why do they vote SNP in such numbers? It's hard to refute.
It causes great division. A Visit Scotland advert on TV the other night was met with "cheeky...." And "they hate us but still want our money". My groups annual trip north, going for 25 years hasn't happened for the last 3 years. Last year they voted to go to Wales, this year it's cancelled.
Everyone other than the staunchest of Nationalists know independence would have been disastrous economically, but the SNP are in complete denial. My experience of the view south of the border is one of vindication. In other words, we told them so. If they didn't heed our warnings they would have deserved it. Us and them. What kind of a Union is that?
The end result is, in the past this illustration of the Scottish vote would have interested me and indeed given me great concern. Now though, I frankly couldn't give two hoots. If that is what the Scottish people want then get on with it. Make your minds up and move on. The rest of us are sick of it.

Spot on, sadly.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Spot on, sadly.

I must admit it has been a very polarising issue. It has come up in the GC, and it appears to be a very divisive subject up here. Vote or not, it hasn't gone away by any stretch...

When they have the next vote I hope it is a massive majority either way. Whilst it was so close it'll be like an itch that won't go away.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Suppose they do get their own way and gain independence.

Wouldn't it only be fair for those who wanted to stay in the UK to campaign for a vote to rejoin the UK?
Maybe every 5 years or so until they get their wish?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Seems pretty accurate summary to me. The longer it goes on, the greater the feeling of frustration from the rest of the Union that they simply don't get on with it, especially as the electorate have spoken. The margin wasn't even that close in the referendum so why do the SNP keep going on

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems pretty accurate summary to me. The longer it goes on, the greater the feeling of frustration from the rest of the Union that they simply don't get on with it, especially as the electorate have spoken. The margin wasn't even that close in the referendum so why do the SNP keep going on

Because thats the only reason the SNP exists. Take away their independace fight and they loose their very lucrative incomes. Sort of reminds me of Westminster and the Euro MP's.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Tories came into power, on the back of a very poor performing Labour govt. SNP offered nirvana, continued spending preferring to follow Greece's method of ignoring austerity.

Is it sustainable? Probably not but that doesn't mean the SNP will continue to spend recklessly.

If it wasn't for the prospect of 20+ yrs Tory government then the level of SNP popularity is probably not sustainable. And after the way the Tories screwed the LibDems at the last election I'm not sure many smaller parties are going to be wanting to go into coalition with any larger one.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I must admit it has been a very polarising issue. It has come up in the GC, and it appears to be a very divisive subject up here. Vote or not, it hasn't gone away by When they have the next vote I hope it is a massive majority either way. Whilst it was so close it'll be like an itch that won't go away.

So given your experience of the discussions you hear in the GC - is it simply SNP party politicos and the government who are fomenting all this talk of independence and another referendum we hear of in the media and elsewhere (though I sense it is more the unionists who are talking up the SNP talking about another referendum rather than the SNP itself) - or are folks on the ground actually engaged and driving this discussion themselves.