Medal Rounds

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I know what you mean, I guess it can go either way - I'm struggling to put what I mean into words. On a personal level, given that my short term goal is to get from 21 where I am now down to 18 or lower, I'm just trying to get out of the comfort blanket of thinking 'I have two shots' on a hole, particularly in a medal where the individual holes that you get two shots on don't necessarily matter, since all that happens is your handicap comes off your gross score.

I found when trying to play to 18 or a little better, that a good way to play was to treat every hole as a par 5. Hit 5 on every hole and you’ve hit 90. Just a different way of thinking.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found when trying to play to 18 or a little better, that a good way to play was to treat every hole as a par 5. Hit 5 on every hole and you’ve hit 90. Just a different way of thinking.
I would be disappointed with a 5 on any of our par 3s though. I guess I am just trying to get more bogeys where I would normally or often get double bogeys though at the moment, so similar really as they'd mostly be the longer par 4s.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would be disappointed with a 5 on any of our par 3s though. I guess I am just trying to get more bogeys where I would normally or often get double bogeys though at the moment, so similar really as they'd mostly be the longer par 4s.

It's not a case of aiming for a 5, but rather rebasing your expectations as to what a good score is. On any par 4, 5 is a good score. Also, if you did get a 5 on a par 3, no harm done because that's a par in your bid to shoot 90, if you see what I mean?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not have a different approach to either comp but if given the choice I would sooner play a medal comp. I fee that playing a medal comp gives me more chance of winning, particularly in seniors comps.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I prefer medal play for a few reasons:

1. [tempts fate] I tend not to have too many car crash holes so don't get much benefit out of the stableford format

2. I find I'm better focused in medals

3. There's a couple of par 3's where if I score a 4 in medal (without a shot) I'm not too bothered but it bugs me in Stableford (1 reason why I hate Bogey comps with a passion)

4. A fair % of the field crumple before they even start in medals hence I feel I have a better chance of winning (purely anecdotal)

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I prefer medal play for a few reasons:

1. [tempts fate] I tend not to have too many car crash holes so don't get much benefit out of the stableford format

2. I find I'm better focused in medals

3. There's a couple of par 3's where if I score a 4 in medal (without a shot) I'm not too bothered but it bugs me in Stableford (1 reason why I hate Bogey comps with a passion)

4. A fair % of the field crumple before they even start in medals hence I feel I have a better chance of winning (purely anecdotal)

Pretty much sums me and my game up :thup:

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Other than that “This needs to go in” putt or chip I don’t really see any difference in how I approach each format.

As rule I don’t often score worse than the blob score on a hole so Stableford doesn’t make much difference.