Measuring Swing Speed

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
One of my PPs made a comment yesterday that my swing speed with the driver was pretty fast, and I might be suited by a stiff shaft.

I’m driving pretty well at the moment and hadn’t thought about upgrading. However this got me thinking. I had a look at the data from the last couple of monitor sessions and was surprised to see that neither Toptracer nor InRange measure swing speed, only ball speed (I’m guessing this isn’t a surprise to those more knowledgeable than me).

So my question is two-fold -
1. How do I measure my swing speed (other than going for a fitting)?
2. What sort of speed would indicate that a stiff shaft would be a good idea?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Have you been taking money off them? Textbook 'putting doubt in your mind' play there! 😉😁

Posts will rightly say there is more to it than just speed, and if it's working currently...

To your question, you can buy speed radars (see swing speed journey thread). If you don't want to go fitting route, in some places you can hire a launch monitor for an hour, or half hour.

Subject to all caveats on accuracy, what ball speed was TT showing?
Crudely can divide by 1.5. In theory should likely be a 1.4x divide, but I suspect TT reads ball speed a bit high.

If your driver has a removable head, it may be possible to experiment relatively low cost.

Last edited:

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of my PPs made a comment yesterday that my swing speed with the driver was pretty fast, and I might be suited by a stiff shaft.

I’m driving pretty well at the moment and hadn’t thought about upgrading. However this got me thinking. I had a look at the data from the last couple of monitor sessions and was surprised to see that neither Toptracer nor InRange measure swing speed, only ball speed (I’m guessing this isn’t a surprise to those more knowledgeable than me).

So my question is two-fold -
1. How do I measure my swing speed (other than going for a fitting)?
2. What sort of speed would indicate that a stiff shaft would be a good idea?
1. Trackman/GC Quad/GC
2. If you ball speed over 150 mph, stiff would be useful. If it’s over 160mph, then even more so + a proper fitting to match head/loft.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
1. Trackman/GC Quad/GC
2. If you ball speed over 150 mph, stiff would be useful. If it’s over 160mph, then even more so + a proper fitting to match head/loft.
The last time I was on Toptracer, I was averaging 135-140 mph. However that was back in March and I'm definitely hitting it a lot better now. Will have a session this week to see what I'm getting now.

Burnsey

Visit site
Fittings are only £25 and that’s a lot less than swapping into the wrong shaft.

The data they provide covers more than just swing speed, so you can collect info to maybe improve your swing too.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have you been taking money off them? Textbook 'putting doubt in your mind' play there! 😉😁

Posts will rightly say there is more to it than just speed, and if it's working currently...

To your question, you can buy speed radars (see swing speed journey thread). If you don't want to go fitting route, in some places you can hire a launch monitor for an hour, or half hour.

Subject to all caveats on accuracy, what ball speed was TT showing?
Crudely can divide by 1.5. In theory should likely be a 1.4x divide, but I suspect TT reads ball speed a bit high.

If your driver has a removable head, it may be possible to experiment relatively low cost.
I'm using a Ping G425, so might look at a cheap stiff shaft after I see what my current speed is.

I did dial the driver down to 9 degrees about 10 days ago, and that is definitely helping with extra carry.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I've seen your swing. Like me, you're getting on a bit &, unless you've started hitting it 250 yards plus, I'd say you were more likely to need a senior flex. I've got a Swing byte, which attaches to your club & measures swing speed but they appear to have gone bust & the app is no longer available.

If you want a measurement contact ZFL Golf in your neck of the woods, they have a simulator & would probably give you an hour for £20

Burnsey

Visit site
Just to add, I was impressed with the whole ‘where the flex is’ etc. proper shaft assessment with all the tech really does end you up in the best launch/ball flight/landing angle/distance/shaft length for you.

Admittedly mine was a Titleist fitter, but they must have had forty shafts plus and from where we started to where we ended was bonkers in terms of difference.

I ended up with a 40g driver shaft and went from 246 average carry to 222. The difference was the dispersion at the shorter distance was literally a couple of yards as opposed to in the woods 😂

Went through seperate fitting for woods and hybrids, then irons and the adjustments have been night and day to my scoring. Plus, most places knock the fitting fee off when you buy, still never buy clubs without one now.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've seen your swing. Like me, you're getting on a bit &, unless you've started hitting it 250 yards plus, I'd say you were more likely to need a senior flex. I've got a Swing byte, which attaches to your club & measures swing speed but they appear to have gone bust & the app is no longer available.

If you want a measurement contact ZFL Golf in your neck of the woods, they have a simulator & would probably give you an hour for £20
That was my old swing 😂

Our club has a simulator but it is absolutely pants. Tbh if a fitting is £25, I reckon that’s a better option than an hour on a simulator on my own.

Any recommendations for a good fitter in the NE?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Keep in mind that not all stiff shafts are stiff and not all regulars are regular.
They're called stiff or regular in relation to shafts of the same make and model and only relate to them
One manufacturer's regular can be stiffer than another's stiff.
Weight is as important, if not more so.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that it is more how fast the acceleration is than the actual speed. So a fast swing speed generated off a long back swing tends not o need as stiff a shaft as one generated from a shorter back swing.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The last time I was on Toptracer, I was averaging 135-140 mph. However that was back in March and I'm definitely hitting it a lot better now. Will have a session this week to see what I'm getting now.
Had a session on Toptracer this morning. Got up to 146 mph ball speed.

That said, average carry was 197 yards and average total distance was 230, so I guess I'm way short of the optimum distance for changing shaft!

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a session on Toptracer this morning. Got up to 146 mph ball speed.

That said, average carry was 197 yards and average total distance was 230, so I guess I'm way short of the optimum distance for changing shaft!
Good job. What was the launch angle?

With that speed there should be a longer carry so launch / spin could be suboptimal.

Same advice as before - a fitting would be beneficial :cool:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good job. What was the launch angle?

With that speed there should be a longer carry so launch / spin could be suboptimal.

Same advice as before - a fitting would be beneficial :cool:
Launch angle 10 degrees
Apex 14 yd
Landing angle 23 degrees
Hang time 4.1s
Curve L 30 yd

I hit 24 shots -

Launch Angle varied from 9 degrees to 16, average 10-12
Apex 14-28, average around 16
Landing angle 19-38, average around 27
Hang time 3.3-5.5, average around 4.5
Curve L2-L30, average around L20