MD Golf Superstrong Clubs (2010 Models) - Good set for a begginer?

Fraser_B

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the game and looking to buy my first set of clubs (left handed). I would like a decent set that will last me a while. Originally I was going to go for a package set - something like the 2011 Wilson X31 set, however when I've looked around I've seen I can get a set of the 2010 MD Superstrongs for a similar(ish) price - Which I'm assuming will be the better bet?

I'm thinking of going for...

Superstrong iron set consisting of 6-SW, 21 and 24 degree hybrids.

Superstrong Ti-460 12 degree driver.

Putter of some kind (yet to be decided so suggestions are welcome around the £20-40 mark).

Does this sound like a good beginner setup? And is it worth me getting a fairway wood aswell - 3 wood possibly?

Thanks guys :)

Fraser_B

Visit site
Well you never know but I do enjoy it. I've got a couple of clubs (very cheap ones) that I use at the driving range, and rented clubs at the local pitch and putt etc but I'd like a decent set now and don't mind spending abit of money to get a good set. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, welcome to the forum by the way.
I would go to your local golf club, speak to the head pro and ask him/her for a guide on some second hand sets.
You can pick up good second hand sets for less than the new starter sets which in some cases aren't very good.
Even if it's just a half set thats a great starting point.
I would suggest 3 wood 5 wood and as you say, a couple of utility/hybrids and so on.
The putter is very individual and would be better you try a few before you buy. Again the local pro would be able to help.
And dont worry about not being a member of a club. Just go and explain your situation nd I'm sure you'll get some good advice.
Hth