May day bank holiday

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can we not just move it until a date in September? The day, the celebrations, everything. The one in May is just pointless right now.

(okay, I know we wont but I'm allowed a ramble in the current climate)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ironically they moved it to save the cost of having another bank holiday...

That cost is like throwing a deckchair of the Titanic now
Or as Billy Connolly put it when musing on the use of a pillow when the aircraft he's in is heading towards a mountain - and he'd rather have a parachute - he'd throw the pillow and shout 'go away nasty mountain' :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I kind of wish all bank holidays were Fridays. Not withstanding the current situation, but generally wouldn't you rather have a Friday off than a Monday? That way it feels more like an extra Saturday, rather than a really prolonged Sunday.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I kind of wish all bank holidays were Fridays. Not withstanding the current situation, but generally wouldn't you rather have a Friday off than a Monday? That way it feels more like an extra Saturday, rather than a really prolonged Sunday.

Nope. My company only works half a day on a Friday, so feels like half a day off lost :p

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Except for those people who work on Saturday one day off back to work one off back to work.

The original idea was to give everybody 2 days off in a row because most people worked a 6 days week back then.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Scotland has a different Bank Holiday structure to England & Wales.
They have local holidays based on historical dates.
For example in Ayrshire we have one in October for a horse race meeting.
Takes a bit of getting used to as nobody has much of an idea what happens were and when. eg Ayr can have a holiday but Stranraer not.
I think some parts of the highlands and islands still follow the old tradition of early closing days for shops on Wednesdays.