May day bank holiday

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Can we not just move it until a date in September? The day, the celebrations, everything. The one in May is just pointless right now.

(okay, I know we wont but I'm allowed a ramble in the current climate)

Ironically they moved it to save the cost of having another bank holiday...

That cost is like throwing a deckchair of the Titanic now
Or as Billy Connolly put it when musing on the use of a pillow when the aircraft he's in is heading towards a mountain - and he'd rather have a parachute - he'd throw the pillow and shout 'go away nasty mountain' :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
I kind of wish all bank holidays were Fridays. Not withstanding the current situation, but generally wouldn't you rather have a Friday off than a Monday? That way it feels more like an extra Saturday, rather than a really prolonged Sunday.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
I kind of wish all bank holidays were Fridays. Not withstanding the current situation, but generally wouldn't you rather have a Friday off than a Monday? That way it feels more like an extra Saturday, rather than a really prolonged Sunday.
Nope. My company only works half a day on a Friday, so feels like half a day off lost :p

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Except for those people who work on Saturday one day off back to work one off back to work.

The original idea was to give everybody 2 days off in a row because most people worked a 6 days week back then.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Scotland has a different Bank Holiday structure to England & Wales.
They have local holidays based on historical dates.
For example in Ayrshire we have one in October for a horse race meeting.
Takes a bit of getting used to as nobody has much of an idea what happens were and when. eg Ayr can have a holiday but Stranraer not.
I think some parts of the highlands and islands still follow the old tradition of early closing days for shops on Wednesdays.