Matthew Wolff - One to Watch

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
This lad is going to be something special. Crazy swing, hits it an absolute mile, working with one of the best coaches in the game (George Gankas) and is making serious waves in College golf right now. This is his record for the season:

So impressive. Interesting to note in the comments is a comparison with Tiger - who won at 42% at Stanford (8 wins in 13 tournaments as a Senior). He's already played on the PGA Tour after receiving a sponsor exemption into the Waste Management Phoenix Open where he finished T50. The lad is seriously good. Oh, and this is his swing if you've not seen it already:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is nuts! Can't argue with the numbers, it is clearly working. I love the little shuffle he does before takeaway. Just goes to show it really is all about contact

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seen the videos of his swing before, it's completely mental. Always fun to watch people with random swings doing well. Certainly has a touch of Furyk about it. With a little dance and a shuffle thrown in! :LOL:

Wolf

Visit site
He's certainly a player and I love the fact he has a quirky swing and a coach that helps him get the best out of it instead of changing it. Look forward to seeing more of him in future.

I also follow Gankas on Instagram he works with a few quirky players but knows how to coach the swing in a way he doesn't change things to be text book. Imo that's the sign of a good teaching Pro.

D

Deleted member 21258

You wouldn't have thought you would teach someone to swing like that, but its great looking. Cant beat quirky looking swings to watch,.:cool:

Anyone know any history for him and wonder how he learnt to swing it that way ?

Wolf

Visit site
See how he fairs but I sense a few wins in the future and he seems a really likeable guy!

I’m excited to see how this kid gets on in his first PGA event at 17 also thanks to a sponsor exemption!

Seems he and Rahm got on well during practice rounds!

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/it...wned&utm_source=facebook&mbid=social_facebook
Yeah been following a bit of Akshy Batia, heard a podcast recently with him on stating pound for pound he's likely to be the longest hitter due to his slight frame but big distance.

He's another George Gankas protégé, but from the Podcast I listened to he stated he has decided to forgo college, and once 18 go straight to the pro tours and earn his crust. He had some serious self belief going and let's see if he backs that up

User20204

Visit site
See how he fairs but I sense a few wins in the future and he seems a really likeable guy!

I’m excited to see how this kid gets on in his first PGA event at 17 also thanks to a sponsor exemption!

Seems he and Rahm got on well during practice rounds!

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/it...wned&utm_source=facebook&mbid=social_facebook

Sure he's the same lefty I watched in the US amateur recently on YT or maybe it was the junior US amateur, very impressive. However, a note of caution about all these great young stars, there has been plenty before them and few have shone as well once they hit the main tour. Take Cam Champ, blitzed on the scene, has struggled since. Has Victor Hovland turned pro yet ? Another top young player who hits its miles but again, if you don't hit it miles now as a young un, you won't going too far in the game at the top level.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Clearly modelled himself on my swing, only difference is he hits it 100 yards further o_O

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sure he's the same lefty I watched in the US amateur recently on YT or maybe it was the junior US amateur, very impressive. However, a note of caution about all these great young stars, there has been plenty before them and few have shone as well once they hit the main tour. Take Cam Champ, blitzed on the scene, has struggled since. Has Victor Hovland turned pro yet ? Another top young player who hits its miles but again, if you don't hit it miles now as a young un, you won't going too far in the game at the top level.
Did you here about his ‘incident’ in the US Am? Caddy needed the loo. Jumped on what he thought was an officials buggy to catch up, it wasn’t, it was a volunteer.

Player lost hole. Then lost match 1st extra hole

User20204

Visit site
Did you here about his ‘incident’ in the US Am? Caddy needed the loo. Jumped on what he thought was an officials buggy to catch up, it wasn’t, it was a volunteer.

Player lost hole. Then lost match 1st extra hole

Yes I recall that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It seems George Gankas is getting a lot of his students to swing like Wolff. From what I can see on Instagram and YouTube

User20204

Visit site
His swing was analysed recently on one of the golf channels and they said at a point on the downswing where he drops inside, from that point onwards it's perfect, I like his swing and I love players who are different, hope he does really well. Anyone know if Vickor Hovland is turning pro ?

Wolf

Visit site
It seems George Gankas is getting a lot of his students to swing like Wolff. From what I can see on Instagram and YouTube
He does seem to like a deep left arm in the back swing but it does allow for a lot of rotation through for speed just look at Sung Kang..

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Gankas has 2 core themes - hands above head on takeaway for speed and impact position is rotate as hard as possible. Seems to be working so far!