Mates caddying for you....

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Two rounds, two wins in the club knockout singles and I'm a win away from the quarter finals. A mate has offered to caddy for me in my next match.

Just wondering if anyone has had good or bad experiences of this? Could it be more of a distraction or work against me if it gives my opponent a boost!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you need a caddy?? I would say if you won two matches without one then why change things? Prepare and do everything the exact same as you did for those matches.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Are you allowed a caddy?
Some clubs don't, some do.
As long as your mate plays to the shut up and keep up rule I'd be ok with it.
Wouldn't want them giving me advice on shots though.

User20204

Visit site
It can bring added pressure. It's always good to have moral support but you will know your game better than anyone so once they start calling shots things can change. It also depends how good friends you are, there is only one mate of mine I'd let caddy for me and we don't even play together or at the same course.

D

Deleted member 1147

It can be especially useful if your mate is good at something useful, which you aren’t so good at (judgement wise).
My mate, for example, is much better at judging the wind than I am. Which can help avoid making clubbing mistakes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Does your club allow caddies in this comp? Why do you feel the need to have one? A bad caddy will be a big distraction and I've have experience of trying too hard at the start of a round to impress my mate carrying for me which was costly. If you can have one and they know what they are doing it can be a benefit especially in a close game

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

I don't NEED a caddy perse but it's an extra pair of eyes if I hit an errant tee shot!

The guy offering is a friend I play with a lot so knows my game quiet well and I believe would offer good advice should I ask.

My opponent is also a friend so it'll be a friendly affair, I'm thinking having a mate helping me out might give me a bit more focus rather than think it's just me out playing against a friend....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If someone is offering to caddy, then why not? If its a mate, then they won't be wanting to knacker your chances - so in all likelihood, they'll just carry your clubs, spot your ball, and hopefully, occasionally advise against an unwise choice of shot.

I don't get the antipathy coming just because its only the last 16 of a club comp? If someone offered for me, l'd take it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

A caddie can be very useful if the weather is poor. Really helps if they can hold your umbrella, keep grips dry etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A caddie can be very useful if the weather is poor. Really helps if they can hold your umbrella, keep grips dry etc.
Equally if it is hot as predicted later this week especially in the south. Takes the strain off carrying clubs, leaves you free to walk at a sensible pace and gives time to take fluids on board. I often find even with an electric trolley it can be hard to get to the ball, get ready to play my shot, clean and replace the clubs and then manage to get water/food out as I'm going or without distracting other PP's playing their own shot