Match Resumption

WinBase

Medal Winner
Visit site
my partner and I arranged to play a club 4-ball knockout last sunday and our opponents turned up with just one player. After two holes completed, the club competion (that we were obviously not playing in) was cancelled by the handicap secretary due to rain as the greens were becoming flooded in places. I dont believe the course was officially closed, however our opponent beat a hasty retreat in the opposite direction upon hearing the news, and didnt give us the opportunity to discuss waiting for a period of time before resumption. my parter and i played on (as did many others) just for fun, with the sun coming out 10 mins later and the course quickly cleared so we got in all 18 holes without any real problem.

the format of the competition is a 4-ball betterball medal knockout with the best net score at the end of 18 holes progressing to the next round, so my question is this: do we resume our match on the 3rd tee as clearly stated in the rules of golf 6-8 section D (proceedure when play resumed in matchplay), or because of the slightly unusual format is their some weird rule that classes this comp as strokeplay, as it seems to me that had play been suspended after 17 holes and one team was 10 shots to the good they would have to replay all 18 again? i want to be sure on this because i'll bet a brick to London that the player involved will attempt to claim its a total restart, which i dont think is correct or fair, as we were several shots to the good when the match stopped.

many thanks in advance

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The format of the competition is a 4-ball betterball medal knockout with the best net score at the end of 18 holes progressing to the next round ....,

Firstly this is not match play. Match play is won by winning more holes than your opponent with total scores for a round being irrelevant; your game was to be won by the better score over the round and was therefore stroke play. There is nothing weird about that. You were playing four ball stroke play with a field of 2 sides.

Which doesn't answer your question other than that a rule about match play isn't applicable. Have to go at the moment - will reply later to that if no-one else has.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You would resume a stroke play event where you left off as well (think about the Open!).

If the course wasn't closed, or general play suspended, your opponents should consider themselves extremely fortunate that they are still in the tie and now have 2 players - starting an argument about whether they have to resume from the existing scores and hole (or even asking a ruling) wouldn't seem in their best interests!

WinBase

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks Colin, what I meant about the stroke play comment was that as its an 'us' v 'them' knockout match and that several holes had already been completed, I just cant see it being classed the same as say a traditional medal involving all the club would. I can't seem to find any definitive answer on the R&A site so just hoped someone could shed some light.

WinBase

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Duncan - that's what my first thought was, but from past experience when comps at our club have been cancelled due to weather, they are often replayed in entirety as we only have a small membership, and basically my PP & I don't want to end up arguing the toss in the car park beforehand without being sure of our position.

DCB

Visit site
Been in similar situations several times over the years and I'd be looking at RESUMING play from the position on the course where the original tie was halted. Scoring from original tie remains as was at the discontinuance of play.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Duncan has given your answer before I got back.

Re the suspension of play at the Open, the information boards informed us just after the resumption of play on the Saturday evening that a player ( I forget the name) had holed out for a birdie after 10 hours and 20 minutes.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Duncan - that's what my first thought was, but from past experience when comps at our club have been cancelled due to weather, they are often replayed in entirety as we only have a small membership, and basically my PP & I don't want to end up arguing the toss in the car park beforehand without being sure of our position.

Your competition wasn't cancelled - it was discontinued.

As said there's an argument that it wasn't actually discontinued...but you appear to have given your opponents the benefit of doubt there.

In context I would agree that it probably makes sense to establish things before the event - if you do it it gives you the opportunity to position everything up front ie you get to word the question.