Match play query

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are obviously going to be some circumstances when a player may have to take an emergency call, and that is understandable. I am currently in that position and so on the 1st tee I always advise my playing partners of the circumstances and ask if it's ok with them that I might have to take a call. If I do have to take a call I try and make sure that I don't inconvenience or delay anyone playing. I have phone on silent and check it from time to time. Calling back when it is appropriate for me to do so, take as little time as possible, and absolutely don't initiate calls.

I do this … my parents are both in their 90s, so there is the occasional emergency.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
And, also be prepared for her to incorrectly state you played out of turn, and therefore lost the hole or get a penalty.
I know what you mean, and you know what you mean, but the pedant in me wants to tidy up & clarify a bit ... :)

Be prepared for for her to incorrectly state that you lost the hole, or get a penalty, because you played out of turn. (You get neither).

Tryhardgolfer

Visit site
Oh dear - welcome the world of crafty old women playing competition golf! In my experience they are far worse than guys in ‘gamesmanship’ ? I recently had one who had behaved much as you describe quote rule 26 at me - you can only imagine my secret delight - having politely held my tongue until then - in pointing out there was no longer a rule 26 and hadn’t been for over 2 years! There are some excellent on line rules study courses which will quickly make you more confident
??? I proper laughed out loud at this!! ? ?

Tryhardgolfer

Visit site
So how would you handle it next time?

If you intend to play competitive match play you will come across people pulling all sorts of tricks. Which is why I said you need to develop a thicker skin if this incident rattled you for a few holes.
One of the things I love about match play is ignoring the ‘psychological’ games some people try to play.

@Tashyboy Yes I would be irritated if someone did it to me, or if I was following someone who had stopped to take a call. But I wouldn’t have stood there like a plumb waiting for them to finish their call or be in a rage about it. I certainly wouldn’t be rattled for a few holes.
Like you said, after asking politely once I’d have putted out and being on my way to the next tee.
Excellent advice!! ? You're right, come to think of it, I did stand there like a lemon!!!! ?‍♀️ ??