Match play query

Tryhardgolfer

Visit site
I recently played a match play game where my opponent took a phone call. She spoke on the phone for several minutes. As her ball was positioned furthest from the hole I asked if I could putt out as her phone conversation was taking a long time. She said no. She went on to win the hole. I can't find anything in the rule book about this and I wondered what I should have done or should do if this happens again.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently played a match play game where my opponent took a phone call. She spoke on the phone for several minutes. As her ball was positioned furthest from the hole I asked if I could putt out as her phone conversation was taking a long time. She said no. She went on to win the hole. I can't find anything in the rule book about this and I wondered what I should have done or should do if this happens again.
Depends, is there a club rule banning the use of mobile phones on the course.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Tell her you believe she has breached Rule 5.6 (Unreasonable Delay) and that you will be asking the Committee for a later ruling. Do this before anyone makes a stroke on the next tee.
Imo, the Committee, based on your information, should decide it was unreasonable delay and apply a penalty. Penalty for first breach is one stroke

Tryhardgolfer

Visit site
Tell her you believe she has breached Rule 5.6 (Unreasonable Delay) and that you will be asking the Committee for a later ruling. Do this before anyone makes a stroke on the next tee.
Imo, the Committee, based on your information, should decide it was unreasonable delay and apply a penalty. Penalty for first breach is one stroke
Thank you ? I just want to know in case it ever happens again. It took me a couple of holes to get back into the game.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thank you ? I just want to know in case it ever happens again. It took me a couple of holes to get back into the game.
There are obviously going to be some circumstances when a player may have to take an emergency call, and that is understandable. I am currently in that position and so on the 1st tee I always advise my playing partners of the circumstances and ask if it's ok with them that I might have to take a call. If I do have to take a call I try and make sure that I don't inconvenience or delay anyone playing. I have phone on silent and check it from time to time. Calling back when it is appropriate for me to do so, take as little time as possible, and absolutely don't initiate calls.

Tryhardgolfer

Visit site
I absolutely agree with you. Its just good to know the rules as I've not played many match play competitions. The lady I played with quoted the rules throughout the game with such knowledge that I thought it was a bit off to have such a long phone conversation while refusing to let me putt because that would be against the rules. I'll play her at her own game if there's ever a rematch ? There's me thinking I'm not that competitive!! ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I absolutely agree with you. Its just good to know the rules as I've not played many match play competitions. The lady I played with quoted the rules throughout the game with such knowledge that I thought it was a bit off to have such a long phone conversation while refusing to let me putt because that would be against the rules. I'll play her at her own game if there's ever a rematch ? There's me thinking I'm not that competitive!! ?
She could have let you putt. The rule does not mean you can't play out of turn. It only permits her to require you to play again in turn if she hasn't let you play first.

6.4a(2)
Exception
– Playing Out of Turn by Agreement to Save Time:
The player may invite the opponent to play out of turn or may agree to the opponent’s request to play out of turn.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I would be avoiding her like the plague. Surely life is too short to play with people like that?

If you do play her again, crush her, crush her badly :ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
Did she give any reason why she was on the phone, or offer any apology? I'd understand a little if the phone call was an emergency, or a pressing work committment. However, if she was just having a jolly with a mate, with no concern in wrapping it up, then I'd definitely have argued unreasonable delay. Particularly if she herself was continually quoting rules, which begs the question why? Even if you played golf against a world class golf referee, it is unlikely they'd be quoting ANY rules unless a particular situation arises that causes some doubt, which in my experience is pretty rare. Therefore, anyone who likes to continually quote rules might be someone who is just trying to interpret them in such a way to get several advantages, or disadvantaging their opponent?

salfordlad

Visit site
Many clubs have a written policy that refers to use of mobile phones during competitions on the course - suggest you check if there is one in place at your club.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have guidelines for use of mobile phones on the course including the recommendation of abandoning the game for a prolonged call.

Under our club rules I would certainly apply undue delay if it was referred to the competition committee.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Nonsense mobile phone use policies aside.

If someone using their phone for a few minutes has rattled you. I’d suggest staying away from match play until you’ve developed a thicker skin.

Sorry if that comes across as a bit blunt, but it needs saying.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

If someone using their phone for a few minutes has rattled you. I’d suggest staying away from match play until you’ve developed a thicker skin.

Is that really a serious response? You do realise that whilst someone is having a conversation on a phone( and there’s no indication it’s an emergency call) they are stood around doing absolutely nothing. Here’s a thought, what if you are in the group behind whilst someone is on the phone. Would your response be the same? Whilst a player has offered to continue playing, they have had a no response. What is the person on the phones priority. Golf or a phone call. Me I would of been tempted to putt out and if they had said something I would of just said we can discuss this with the club Secretary and see what there thoughts are.
If it comes across as a bit blunt, well.

Tryhardgolfer

Visit site
Is that really a serious response? You do realise that whilst someone is having a conversation on a phone( and there’s no indication it’s an emergency call) they are stood around doing absolutely nothing. Here’s a thought, what if you are in the group behind whilst someone is on the phone. Would your response be the same? Whilst a player has offered to continue playing, they have had a no response. What is the person on the phones priority. Golf or a phone call. Me I would of been tempted to putt out and if they had said something I would of just said we can discuss this with the club Secretary and see what there thoughts are.
If it comes across as a bit blunt, well.

Thank you! I did think it was a bit blunt. It was just a simple query for any future match play scenario I may find myself in. Obviously, that person is a phone using culprit ? I agree I would be furious if I was behind. Also the phone call did take about 5 to 10 minutes and wasn't an emergency. I suppose bad manners is everywhere and we can't all be perfect!! ?? Thank you to those of you who answered my query, it was very much appreciated. Huge apologies if I have caused any controversy. But know this, I will crush her in any rematch (golf swing permitting)!! ??

Tryhardgolfer

Visit site

It wasn't the use of the mobile phone although the phone call wasn't urgent and it did last for several minutes. I was rattled because she wouldn't allow me to putt out while she was on the phone as she said that was against the rules. You're right I should maybe grow a thicker skin but I thought if it was to happen again I know exactly what to do. I'm quite new to golf and have only played a few match play comps. Thanks for taking the time to reply but you weren't very helpful. ?

The actual phone call didn't rattle me. Her refusal to allow me to take my putt while she was on the phone (non emergency call which took ages) rattled me. As I'm quite new to golf, I thought I could find out how I should have handled the situation in case it ever crops up again. So your comment wasn't that helpful but thanks anyway for taking the time! ?

IslaG

Visit site
Oh dear - welcome the world of crafty old women playing competition golf! In my experience they are far worse than guys in ‘gamesmanship’ ? I recently had one who had behaved much as you describe quote rule 26 at me - you can only imagine my secret delight - having politely held my tongue until then - in pointing out there was no longer a rule 26 and hadn’t been for over 2 years! There are some excellent on line rules study courses which will quickly make you more confident

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It wasn't the use of the mobile phone although the phone call wasn't urgent and it did last for several minutes. I was rattled because she wouldn't allow me to putt out while she was on the phone as she said that was against the rules. You're right I should maybe grow a thicker skin but I thought if it was to happen again I know exactly what to do. I'm quite new to golf and have only played a few match play comps. Thanks for taking the time to reply but you weren't very helpful. ?

The actual phone call didn't rattle me. Her refusal to allow me to take my putt while she was on the phone (non emergency call which took ages) rattled me. As I'm quite new to golf, I thought I could find out how I should have handled the situation in case it ever crops up again. So your comment wasn't that helpful but thanks anyway for taking the time! ?

So how would you handle it next time?

If you intend to play competitive match play you will come across people pulling all sorts of tricks. Which is why I said you need to develop a thicker skin if this incident rattled you for a few holes.
One of the things I love about match play is ignoring the ‘psychological’ games some people try to play.

@Tashyboy Yes I would be irritated if someone did it to me, or if I was following someone who had stopped to take a call. But I wouldn’t have stood there like a plumb waiting for them to finish their call or be in a rage about it. I certainly wouldn’t be rattled for a few holes.
Like you said, after asking politely once I’d have putted out and being on my way to the next tee.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rulefan is right that she could have let you putt if she wanted to - sounds like gamesmanship on her part to me. But remember, that in matchplay you could have putted without asking her. It would be playing out of turn but in matchplay, there's no penalty and the worst she could do is require you to retake the shot - that is, if she knows, or remembers, that she could so require (Rule 6.4a(2)). And if she did require you to replay, at least you'd now know, or have a good idea of, the line. If there was to be a "next time", personally, I'd wait a short while for courtesy, then take the shot without asking (so she has no chance to say no) but be prepared to retake the (possibly sunk) putt.

Swango1980

Visit site
Rulefan is right that she could have let you putt if she wanted to - sounds like gamesmanship on her part to me. But remember, that in matchplay you could have putted without asking her. It would be playing out of turn but in matchplay, there's no penalty and the worst she could do is require you to retake the shot - that is, if she knows, or remembers, that she could so require (Rule 6.4a(2)). And if she did require you to replay, at least you'd now know, or have a good idea of, the line. If there was to be a "next time", personally, I'd wait a short while for courtesy, then take the shot without asking (so she has no chance to say no) but be prepared to retake the (possibly sunk) putt.
And, also be prepared for her to incorrectly state you played out of turn, and therefore lost the hole or get a penalty.