Match Play match

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If your opponent is 5 minutes late are you with I your rights to claim the Match?
On the tee waiting at present with time arranged for 3.50!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
9 Minutes ago it was 3.45...

Did he arrive on time after all, wouldn't jump the gun personally.
Nobody was jumping the gun.
Phoned home to see whether he had made contact and checked with Pro to see whether he had phoned, both negative

He was nowhere to be seen @3.45 so the chances he would have been on the tee for 3.50 pretty remote.

Waited until 4.05 and still no show.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’d wait until finding out the reason. If it’s a genuine reason and it’s an exceptional circumstance (family emergency etc) then the committee can rule that there’s no disqualification.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nobody was jumping the gun.
Phoned home to see whether he had made contact and checked with Pro to see whether he had phoned, both negative

He was nowhere to be seen @3.45 so the chances he would have been on the tee for 3.50 pretty remote.

Waited until 4.05 and still no show.
What do your club rules have to say?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
RF.

Nothing really regarding no show other than both parties are responsible for arranging the match. 3 weeks ago I gave him 5 dates none of which he could make. He gave me one which I accepted. He is a really good lad, ex Captain and feel it is a genuine error on his part.

My problem is that I am away for 3 days next week, have another match arranged plus a medal before the last date so this was the only date possible.

Looked at 5.3a/1 re exceptions.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He phoned me 2 minutes ago. He thought the time was 4.50 NOT 3.50. It is all sorted on BRS so we both receive an email with the staring time!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So was he ready to tee off at 4.50 - It's gone that now!
Yes, he phoned from The Club, not happy.

He put the phone down on me and I sent him a message explaining holidays and offered to play tomorrow @11.a.m.

I will be away on holiday after that and as mentioned earlier I offered him 5 dates!

TBH I feel like scrubbing my name off the Comp as it is too much hassle.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it on BRS and he’s an hour late I would claim the game and let the committee sort it out.
He should concede as it was his fault.
We get 10 mins if your not on the tee your out.

He sounds like a good lad putting the phone down on you.
At the end of the day it is HIS error.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Claim the game. I can't see how the committee could not DQ him.

5.3a The player must start at (and not before) his or her starting time:

• This means that the player must be ready to play at the starting time and starting point set by the Committee.
  • A starting time set by the Committee is treated as an exact time (for example, 9 am means 9:00:00 am, not any time until 9:01 am).
If the starting time is delayed for any reason (such as weather, slow play of other groups or the need for a ruling by a referee), there is no breach of this Rule if the player is present and ready to play when the player’s group is able to start.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 5.3a: Disqualification, except in these three cases:

• Exception 1 – Player Arrives at Starting Point, Ready to Play, No More Than Five Minutes Late: The player gets the general penalty applied to his or her first hole.
  • Exception 2 – Player Starts No More Than Five Minutes Early: The player gets the general penalty applied to his or her first hole.
  • Exception 3 – Committee Decides that Exceptional Circumstances Prevented Player from Starting on Time: There is no breach of this Rule and no penalty.
5.3a/1 The term "exceptional circumstances" in Exception 3 under Rule 5.3a does not mean unfortunate or unexpected events outside a player's control. It is a player's responsibility to allow enough time to reach the course and he or she must make allowances for possible delays.

There is no specific guidance in the Rules for deciding what is exceptional, as it depends on the circumstances in each case and must be left to the determination of the Committee.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Claim the game. I can't see how the committee could not DQ him.

5.3a The player must start at (and not before) his or her starting time:

• This means that the player must be ready to play at the starting time and starting point set by the Committee.
  • A starting time set by the Committee is treated as an exact time (for example, 9 am means 9:00:00 am, not any time until 9:01 am).
If the starting time is delayed for any reason (such as weather, slow play of other groups or the need for a ruling by a referee), there is no breach of this Rule if the player is present and ready to play when the player’s group is able to start.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 5.3a: Disqualification, except in these three cases:

• Exception 1 – Player Arrives at Starting Point, Ready to Play, No More Than Five Minutes Late: The player gets the general penalty applied to his or her first hole.
  • Exception 2 – Player Starts No More Than Five Minutes Early: The player gets the general penalty applied to his or her first hole.
  • Exception 3 – Committee Decides that Exceptional Circumstances Prevented Player from Starting on Time: There is no breach of this Rule and no penalty.
5.3a/1 The term "exceptional circumstances" in Exception 3 under Rule 5.3a does not mean unfortunate or unexpected events outside a player's control. It is a player's responsibility to allow enough time to reach the course and he or she must make allowances for possible delays.

There is no specific guidance in the Rules for deciding what is exceptional, as it depends on the circumstances in each case and must be left to the determination of the Committee.
cheers RF
I have but I felt uncomfortable. He was not happy. Have telephoned him and left a message offering to play tomorrow but has not bothered to reply. Perhaps that sums up the situation

D

Deleted member 3432

cheers RF
I have but I felt uncomfortable. He was not happy. Have telephoned him and left a message offering to play tomorrow but has not bothered to reply. Perhaps that sums up the situation

You have done all you can do.

A grown up should be self aware enough enough to admit he is in the wrong and concede the game.

He sounds like a right clown to me ex captain or not.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
You said you called home and the Pro shop to see if he'd made contact, but did you try calling him directly when it looked like he wasn't going to be there? That's the first thing I'd have done. That way he might have found out about his error before it was too late.