Match Fixing - Scptland v Nigeria

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Part of the reason i hadnt steamed in earlier ;)

And BTW I had to google who player if the year was and I didn't even realise Commons stopped playing for Scotland

FWIW, I agree with you and take a dim view of players turning their backs on Scotland but they all have their reasons for doing so. I guess we just have to accept it whether we agree with them or not. I know sometimes they say they don't want to play for the manager rather than not for the team but that's a pretty small distinction.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Good result for Scotland - late equaliser will no doubt have had some on here cheering

I disagree. We should be beating that team last night.

Nigeria's 2nd team really and we did not play well for large periods of the game. What I would give for 2 solid centre halves.

That said 3 years ago we would have shipped 4 without reply so at least we were unbeaten despite not performing in an end of season freindly kick about.

The acid test start on September 2nd. 3 years ago I would have fully expected at least a 5 goal defeat,this year a 2 goal defeat or better will be my expectation but the 1st game is a game that if we get anything better than zero points it will be like a present from the lord!

And yes if we get beat I'll still be partying,drinking German Beer and baring my hoop.;)

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ex Hearts player, who, as soon as he moved to Rangers got capped........as was normal.
Never ever a Scotland class player.

Avril had said after the Scottish Cup final(Black may have been MOM) that he was disappointed he was going for a hernia op as he would have been playing in the summer tour of the USA and capped as a hearts player. Avril even repeated this when he was selected but nobody wanted to listen.

Let me throw a curve ball, did it occur it wasn't Black the player that got booed but the booing was the fact that Black was playing despite being in the bottom tier of Scottish football and there were plenty midfielders who could have been picked playing consistently well at a better level?

I get this argument but we were only 2 games into Blacks Rangers career and the season. Nobody could have been said as “playing consistently well” this early. Black had hardly gone stale in these 2 games by playing in a lower division. He certainly has since though!!!! One question I have is why there has been no outcry about players playing for their country since then, who are not even playing at as high a level as Ian Black was at the time i.e. they are playing no football and training with kids?

Many of you are aware that I too am a “The” Rangers/Sevco/Zombie FC. I notice that c1973 has been slated for his anti-Scotland stance by many on here. I don’t agree with his stance and still want to see Scotland win but I have to say that the Tartan Army are not very welcoming to those Rangers fans who do want to go and see Scotland. My recollection of that night here

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?44382-Done-with-Supporting-Scotland

I have been back once since then, without my son, and the bile that was shouted towards Naismith, McGregor and Whittaker was unbelievable, which all of the "supporters" around us seemed to enjoy. Although I don’t agree with it, I can hardly blame any Rangers supporter for taking his view.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is all a gradual progression though. You did use to defend poorly but not shipping as many is always going to get results or at least keep you in games. I think 2nd September will be tough but like you say an acid test as to where you are exactly now. At least your team (no idea about all the politics and other stuff on here) look like a team trying. Can see England being....well England really both at the WC and EC's and despite having so much talent, rarely looking like a cohesive bunch

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Avril had said after the Scottish Cup final(Black may have been MOM) that he was disappointed he was going for a hernia op as he would have been playing in the summer tour of the USA and capped as a hearts player. Avril even repeated this when he was selected but nobody wanted to listen.

I get this argument but we were only 2 games into Blacks Rangers career and the season. Nobody could have been said as “playing consistently well” this early. Black had hardly gone stale in these 2 games by playing in a lower division. He certainly has since though!!!! One question I have is why there has been no outcry about players playing for their country since then, who are not even playing at as high a level as Ian Black was at the time i.e. they are playing no football and training with kids?

Many of you are aware that I too am a “The” Rangers/Sevco/Zombie FC. I notice that c1973 has been slated for his anti-Scotland stance by many on here. I don’t agree with his stance and still want to see Scotland win but I have to say that the Tartan Army are not very welcoming to those Rangers fans who do want to go and see Scotland. My recollection of that night here

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?44382-Done-with-Supporting-Scotland

I have been back once since then, without my son, and the bile that was shouted towards Naismith, McGregor and Whittaker was unbelievable, which all of the "supporters" around us seemed to enjoy. Although I don’t agree with it, I can hardly blame any Rangers supporter for taking his view.

I'll be honest and say I have not heard a peep since the Black incident.

Maybe my seats are posher than yours though Stuart.;):whistle: ............or maybe I was just too pished.:thup:

You know my feelings on the subject by the way....