Masters not to be shown on BBC

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like most before Sky tv etc, really enjoyed watching the Masters on the BBC, but times have changed now, everyone pays for what their wanting, Sky, NOW, Prime, Netflix etc, the BBC need to do something similar and if the demand is high enough they’ve nothing to worry about.

I'm fine paying to watch what I want to watch, but I despise paying Sky's monopolistic costs only to then be shown adverts on top.
I fear that off the back of the BBC's decisions, we will either see higher cost to watch the Masters or more adverts (or both).

I have been impressed with the coverage on the Masters app / website, so I will use that again this year. I suspect they could do very well from going it alone with their own pay to view coverage in the future.

Swango1980

Visit site
Maybe it’s not best to be generic based on what programs they watch

My family and the in laws are Irish and laugh their heads at it - that doesn’t make them morons

As with music and films etc people always have differing taste
I'm Northern Irish, I hate it. Of all my Northern Irish family and friends, never heard one say they like it. Heard plenty say they hate it.

I guess it is one of those things that it is so bad, it develops a cult following and is able to survive.

Maybe there are just a certain proportion of society that instinctively find it funny when they see a man dressed as a woman, and acting in a crude, non-lady like way (based on viewer perception). Maybe it brings them back to a time when that sort of humour was more frequent on TV, and classed as edgy and outrageous. Brings them back to the "good old days"? I'd guess fans of the show are generally older people?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
erm, I think it does...just a little bit

Agreed ?.

My wife loves MBB. I’ve wondered if I’m somehow missing some subtle comic genius. But the fact the wife likes it would confirm I haven’t.
Personally I think it’s absolutely garbage, as does everyone else I’ve spoken to about it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Unfortunately Missis Browns boys is a fair reflection of the BBC. Its popularity has fallen through the floor. Bottom line is the TV licence vfm. I think not.
I just watched the third series of Rise of The Nazis - a BBC documentary. It is brilliant.

MBB is utter trash, as is a lot of daytime BBC, but this isn't just typical of what they do. They really do cover such a variety, including their radio stations and website. They also do some superb podcasts.

Imo, the licence fee represents fantastic VFM. It's a couple of quid more per month than Netflix and way cheaper than all Sky packages.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I just watched the third series of Rise of The Nazis - a BBC documentary. It is brilliant.

MBB is utter trash, as is a lot of daytime BBC, but this isn't just typical of what they do. They really do cover such a variety, including their radio stations and website. They also do some superb podcasts.

Imo, the licence fee represents fantastic VFM. It's a couple of quid more per month than Netflix and way cheaper than all Sky packages.

with a toddler in the house, licence fee is worth it just for cbeebies

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the BBC is such great value, has such wonderful programmes, then put the licence out to subscription, or allow adverts, as per all the other channels. If it's that great, people will pay for it. The resentment people have towards it is that they are forced to pay for it.

The chances are we would pay the fee, along with Sky and Netflix, but that choice should be mine, not forced on me.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If the BBC is such great value, has such wonderful programmes, then put the licence out to subscription, or allow adverts, as per all the other channels. If it's that great, people will pay for it. The resentment people have towards it is that they are forced to pay for it.

The chances are we would pay the fee, along with Sky and Netflix, but that choice should be mine, not forced on me.

I think that would lead to the BBC becoming just another commercial channel, end up being sold into private hands and as a result being completely ruined.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that would lead to the BBC becoming just another commercial channel, end up being sold into private hands and as a result being completely ruined.
I think it would change the channel entirely, it would have to work differently, and most likely slim down. It certainly would not be as it is now. Somehow though, they need to remove the compulsion to pay, imo. No one should be forced to pay for something they do not watch.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I think it would change the channel entirely, it would have to work differently, and most likely slim down. It certainly would not be as it is now. Somehow though, they need to remove the compulsion to pay, imo. No one should be forced to pay for something they do not watch.
I get what you mean and yes, it is effectively a government imposed tax. If you go down that road then I don't have kids - why should I pay for the upkeep of playgrounds? Etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get what you mean and yes, it is effectively a government imposed tax. If you go down that road then I don't have kids - why should I pay for the upkeep of playgrounds? Etc.
TV is a luxury, there are other options to the BBC.

The other argument you put, I get, doesn't take in to account the bigger societal picture.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m guessing that want the license removed and the BBC subscribed because they don’t use it - don’t watch any of the channels , listen to any of the radios , read any of the website etc

And are also ok with millions who can really only afford the Telly licence having that removed from them

Peoples are always blinkered when it comes to BBC and always never get past BBC 1 and fail to understand how millions rely on the BBC. I’m sorry the £110 is a hardship for you

Swango1980

Visit site
I've no issue personally with the BBC licence. As has been mentioned, I just see it as fairly cheap tax to get a good, solid broadcasting service, for TV, Radio and Web. Loads of rubbish on BBC, but it caters for all sorts. A good amount I'll watch on it as well. Match of the Day, News, the odd series like Peaky Blinders, light entertainment like the Graham Norton Show, etc

If it was subscription only, I'd imagine it would get very few subscribers, just as I think it is less likely people will subscribe to such a wide ranging service, and more likely to invest in specific areas of interest, where that broadcaster then focuses their expenses in those areas?

They could bring in advertising, but then lack of advertising is one of the BBCs USPs. Furthermore, of all the advertising given to other individual broadcasters, I doubt there is that much to go around again to give to BBC. So, if BBC relied on advertising, I suspect it wouldn't get a lot and/or dilute the advertising for other broadcasters.

The media, in whatever form, is a pretty essential part of life. The BBC plays a huge part in that, especially as not everyone can afford the likes of Sky subscriptions. Getting more reliable, and hopefully less biased news is also a strength of the BBC (Heaven forbid many relied on social media). So, paying a tax for that seems reasonable to me. I don't think it is expensive, but that is subjective and a debate to be had

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My first trip to the USA was 1995. We had only four channels at that time. Channel 5 launched in 1997.
Mrs V and I were absolutely horrified by the rubbish that we experienced with 40 or 50 channels on the TV.
The idea that UK telly might go that way filled us with dread.
Choice of 4 channels was enough. All sporting events of note were broadcast. Never missed out on anything significantly.

I'm an old fuddy-duddy about this, I will admit. No point picking holes in what I say here - I know there are plenty of such holes.
(For example: It was never possible to watch 6 continuous hours of golf apart from The Open, maybe.)

But we are very poorly served by telly these days compared with 30 years ago considering it costs us far more now than it used to.

UK telly was expanded for companies to make money. They have made money. We have paid that money. What we have is a poorer product on the whole.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
TV is a luxury, there are other options to the BBC.

The other argument you put, I get, doesn't take in to account the bigger societal picture.
A basic TV package including BBC is not a luxury. Sky Sports, Netflix, etc, sure, but not basic TV.

And again, it is about more than just BBC TV channels anyway. The website is brilliant, as are some of the radio stations, as are many of their podcasts.

You talk about playgrounds being part of a wider societal thing, and I agree with you. It gives children exercise, a place to explore and use their imagination. They interact with other children, and it also gives parents a place to sit down and often interact with other tired parents. They are brilliant things that I would never want rid of.

The BBC is very much part of our society too and it helps our nation immensely in education of children and adults. If the licence fee becomes optional, then the BBC will disintegrate and not work as it does now. It should be protected at all costs.

Anyway, have a nice day mate :)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Recommendation for a brilliant BBC comedy: Detectorists. This is the kind of thing that I just couldn't see other channels taking a punt on, but it is bloody brilliant despite very little happening each episode.

evemccc

Visit site
My first trip to the USA was 1995. We had only four channels at that time. Channel 5 launched in 1997.
Mrs V and I were absolutely horrified by the rubbish that we experienced with 40 or 50 channels on the TV.
The idea that UK telly might go that way filled us with dread.
Choice of 4 channels was enough. All sporting events of note were broadcast. Never missed out on anything significantly.

I'm an old fuddy-duddy about this, I will admit. No point picking holes in what I say here - I know there are plenty of such holes.
(For example: It was never possible to watch 6 continuous hours of golf apart from The Open, maybe.)

But we are very poorly served by telly these days compared with 30 years ago considering it costs us far more now than it used to.

UK telly was expanded for companies to make money. They have made money. We have paid that money. What we have is a poorer product on the whole.

Great post ??, which I agree with fully