Masters not to be shown on BBC

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Imagine the reaction if BBC cancelled MOTD ( one of their most popular programs ) along with their live coverage of the FA Cup just to show some golf highlights

BBC already show a lot of the sports that aren’t on subscription service

It’s worth remembering that the BBC has to cover everyone and not just sports fans or golf fans etc
The BBC is a boys club,they force people to pay a licence fee & return the favour by giving us Mrs browns boys.

Crumplezone

Visit site
That is part of the point though. The BBC should be broadcasting sport that is underrepresented on other channels. As such, the football budget should be moved to sports like golf with no free to air coverage and little prospect of other channels showing it. The £211 million pounds paid for the last set of rights would cover a lot of other sport, drama etc. Add in production costs, salaries etc and you must be looking at close to £100 million per year for match if the day. Think that may help the budget somewhat and could not only help many sports, it could actually save some

The BBC should be doing a lot of things, but lack of funding means it can't fulfil its public service remit fully. Golf is a minority sport compared to football, so it must come second. The BBC do show other sports, but can only afford the crumbs Sky aren't interested in.

Crumplezone

Visit site
The BBC is a boys club,they force people to pay a licence fee & return the favour by giving us Mrs browns boys.

The licence fee is an outdated concept and use as a stick to beat the BBC. It should be aboloshed and the BBC funded directly like all other national broadcasters around the world. The BBC obviously gives us many high quality programmes, many of which could never be made by commercial broadcasters.. Some I don't like, such as Mrs Brown's Boys, but it seems to be very popular, so I defend their reasons for making it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The licence fee is an outdated concept and use as a stick to beat the BBC. It should be aboloshed and the BBC funded directly like all other national broadcasters around the world. The BBC obviously gives us many high quality programmes, many of which could never be made by commercial broadcasters.. Some I don't like, such as Mrs Brown's Boys, but it seems to be very popular, so I defend their reasons for making it.
Unfortunately Missis Browns boys is a fair reflection of the BBC. Its popularity has fallen through the floor. Bottom line is the TV licence vfm. I think not.

Swango1980

Visit site
Maybe it is that in your face type of loud humour, that worked quite well in the 60's and 70's, but too crude for younger generations?

I guess I'll still love Friends, or similar style shows, in 30 years time, but younger people just won't get it?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The BBC should be doing a lot of things, but lack of funding means it can't fulfil its public service remit fully. Golf is a minority sport compared to football, so it must come second. The BBC do show other sports, but can only afford the crumbs Sky aren't interested in.

I think totally the opposite. That £100 million pounds a year would go a long way to helping fulfill it's public service remit. That remit is to show that which is not represented elsewhere and the licence fee allows the luxury if disregarding viewing figures and so actually there is a very strong argument to ditch football for more niche sports. Whilst the BBC can afford to spend that amount in one programme it cannot plead poverty

D-S

Visit site
I think totally the opposite. That £100 million pounds a year would go a long way to helping fulfill it's public service remit. That remit is to show that which is not represented elsewhere and the licence fee allows the luxury if disregarding viewing figures and so actually there is a very strong argument to ditch football for more niche sports. Whilst the BBC can afford to spend that amount in one programme it cannot plead poverty
That 100 million represents 2.6% of the licence fee revenue. It gives around 100 hours of output (a wild uninformed guess of mine on MOTD hours) which is about 1% of BBC1‘s available broadcast time. However the BBC also has to fund BBC news, BBC 2, 3 and 4 and Ceebeebies - all the radio stations, local stations etc.etc. So 2.6% of revenue, or to put it another way (perhaps) £1 million per hour, for just this seems high.

D

Deleted member 15344

That 100 million represents 2.6% of the licence fee revenue. It gives around 100 hours of output (a wild uninformed guess of mine on MOTD hours) which is about 1% of BBC1‘s available broadcast time. However the BBC also has to fund BBC news, BBC 2, 3 and 4 and Ceebeebies - all the radio stations, local stations etc.etc. So 2.6% of revenue, or to put it another way (perhaps) £1 million per hour, for just this seems high.

The deal for the Premier League Highlights also includes MOTD2 , Football Focus and the Premier League show

Approx 8-9 million watch the two Motd over the weekend and another 2/3 mil on Iplayer

They have around 40mil views on Iplayer through the season

Believe it’s the most watched weekly sports show

And that doesn’t include the world wide broadcast it does include the forces abroad etc

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Like most before Sky tv etc, really enjoyed watching the Masters on the BBC, but times have changed now, everyone pays for what their wanting, Sky, NOW, Prime, Netflix etc, the BBC need to do something similar and if the demand is high enough they’ve nothing to worry about.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The deal for the Premier League Highlights also includes MOTD2 , Football Focus and the Premier League show

Approx 8-9 million watch the two Motd over the weekend and another 2/3 mil on Iplayer

They have around 40mil views on Iplayer through the season

Believe it’s the most watched weekly sports show

And that doesn’t include the world wide broadcast it does include the forces abroad etc

But that is irrelevant as the BBC is meant to fulfil a remit that disregards viewing figures and that is part of the argument for retaining a licence fee. The football coverage would be snapped up by another free to air broadcaster and so that should happen and the money could then be applied to niche sports and other broadcasting that may not attract a large audience

D

Deleted member 15344

But that is irrelevant as the BBC is meant to fulfil a remit that disregards viewing figures and that is part of the argument for retaining a licence fee. The football coverage would be snapped up by another free to air broadcaster and so that should happen and the money could then be applied to niche sports and other broadcasting that may not attract a large audience

“Meant to fulfil a remit”

Sorry but where is this remit that you have mentioned a number of times now

Millions pay the license fee and they want to watch programmes like Motd - how many want to watch these niche sports ? Not very many hence why they aren’t on subscription

Why would they stop broadcasting one of their most popular programmes? Should they get rid of all those popular dramas?

Why haven’t all these other niche sports been picked up by ITV or Ch 4 or Ch 5

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
“Meant to fulfil a remit”

Sorry but where is this remit that you have mentioned a number of times now

Millions pay the license fee and they want to watch programmes like Motd - how many want to watch these niche sports ? Not very many hence why they aren’t on subscription

Why would they stop broadcasting one of their most popular programmes? Should they get rid of all those popular dramas?

Why haven’t all these other niche sports been picked up by ITV or Ch 4 or Ch 5

Whilst I am going back to the original remit for the BBC and licence fee funding, this is a quick cut from their website

The BBC should provide high-quality output in many different genres and across a range of services and platforms which sets the standard in the United Kingdom and internationally. Its services should be distinctive from those provided elsewhere and should take creative risks, even if not all succeed, in order to develop fresh approaches and innovative content.

The reason commercial stations do not show niche sports is just that, they are not commercially viable due to viewing numbers. The BBC is uniquely funded so as there are no commercial considerations hence ditch football, a commercially viable sport that would be picked up by a commercial channel and keep the masters and other options that are not commercially viable and would not be picked up by a commercial channel.

Thing is, I like match if the day, I watch it as I do not have any sports channels but even I see it as a massive cost for what it is and that the funding could be applied in so many other ways.

Swango1980

Visit site
Whilst I am going back to the original remit for the BBC and licence fee funding, this is a quick cut from their website

The BBC should provide high-quality output in many different genres and across a range of services and platforms which sets the standard in the United Kingdom and internationally. Its services should be distinctive from those provided elsewhere and should take creative risks, even if not all succeed, in order to develop fresh approaches and innovative content.

The reason commercial stations do not show niche sports is just that, they are not commercially viable due to viewing numbers. The BBC is uniquely funded so as there are no commercial considerations hence ditch football, a commercially viable sport that would be picked up by a commercial channel and keep the masters and other options that are not commercially viable and would not be picked up by a commercial channel.

Thing is, I like match if the day, I watch it as I do not have any sports channels but even I see it as a massive cost for what it is and that the funding could be applied in so many other ways.
The Masters not commercially viable? Have Sky not paid a fortune for it?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Masters not commercially viable? Have Sky not paid a fortune for it?

Live and as part of basically exclusive rights in the UK to all live golf and as part of a subscription service it has commercial value. A highlights program later at night I suspect does not have the advertisers queuing up.

Just seen what the BBC pays for six nations rugby. That is my favourite sport all year and even I think that funding is better directed elsewhere in the BBC and to just let itv fly solo with it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
They are a joke company now and the sooner they are made to fend for themselves the better it will be for them. They will get rid of ALL the hangers on and excess stuff, (regional weather and TV for one, who cares and all the regional radio, again who cares, we have enough local radio) and maybe get back to producing the quality programs they used to.
There's been some utter garbage on here recently but this is another level. The BBC still produce fantastic TV, alongside some brilliant radio, and one of the best websites in the world.

sunshine

Visit site
Maybe it is that in your face type of loud humour, that worked quite well in the 60's and 70's, but too crude for younger generations?

I guess I'll still love Friends, or similar style shows, in 30 years time, but younger people just won't get it?

Actually, Friends is popular with my teenage daughter and her friends. Seems to appeal to each new generation.

Mrs Brown's Boys is TV for morons. There are quite a lot of morons in this country so I guess the BBC is catering to each demographic.

On the flipside, I watched an excellent documentary with Simon Schama on Henry II a couple of days ago on BBC2.
(edit: just looked it up and this documentary was produced 20 years ago... bloody BBC repeats, where does my license fee go? :ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Actually, Friends is popular with my teenage daughter and her friends. Seems to appeal to each new generation.

Mrs Brown's Boys is TV for morons. There are quite a lot of morons in this country so I guess the BBC is catering to each demographic.

On the flipside, I watched an excellent documentary with Simon Schama on Henry II a couple of days ago on BBC2.

Maybe it’s not best to be generic based on what programs they watch

My family and the in laws are Irish and laugh their heads at it - that doesn’t make them morons

As with music and films etc people always have differing taste

sunshine

Visit site
the BBC is meant to fulfil a remit that disregards viewing figures and that is part of the argument for retaining a licence fee.

You're running with this "remit" and interpreting it as the BBC should show niche obscure events and ignore anything that is mainstream or popular. That's a bit of a stretch.

An equally important role of the BBC is to show mainstream events but ensure the highest production values. The Masters is a clear example of a programme where they are not equipped to deliver the best product, makes sense to leave it to someone else who can invest.