Marshalling the open

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm marshalling the open at RSG this year and wondered if anyone else has done it in the past. I've watched the briefing and read the handbook but is there anything else useful that I should know/avoid that the R&A don't tell you?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I'm marshalling the open at RSG this year and wondered if anyone else has done it in the past. I've watched the briefing and read the handbook but is there anything else useful that I should know/avoid that the R&A don't tell you?
I've done it - long time ago but I did the 1995 open at St Andrews and the Scottish Open at Carnoustie - if you are wandering around outside your shift then watch out for people trying to nick your quiet please board from your backpack.

Are you doing it through your club? If so you will probably get assigned a hole or holes and that's where you are most of the time. I volunteered directly to the R&A and got loads of variety - best bits were ball spotting in the rough on the Road Hole and being sent out to get random punters off the fairways during the play off which meant we got a pretty close up view of the action.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've done it - long time ago but I did the 1995 open at St Andrews and the Scottish Open at Carnoustie - if you are wandering around outside your shift then watch out for people trying to nick your quiet please board from your backpack.

Are you doing it through your club? If so you will probably get assigned a hole or holes and that's where you are most of the time. I volunteered directly to the R&A and got loads of variety - best bits were ball spotting in the rough on the Road Hole and being sent out to get random punters off the fairways during the play off which meant we got a pretty close up view of the action.
Doing it via my club we’ve got hole 12

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did it a few times when I was in the RN. Highlights were being given the 18th in 07 & 08. I walked down the 18th fairway both years right behind Padraig Harrington. You'll have a blast. Just grin & bare it when asked daft questions by the public over & over again. Take your own sandwiches etc and use the vouchers they give you to buy some decent souvenirs, if they still let you do that.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I did it a few times when I was in the RN. Highlights were being given the 18th in 07 & 08. I walked down the 18th fairway both years right behind Padraig Harrington. You'll have a blast. Just grin & bare it when asked daft questions by the public over & over again. Take your own sandwiches etc and use the vouchers they give you to buy some decent souvenirs, if they still let you do that.

Very used to the publics stupid questions in my day job :ROFLMAO: It says in the marshals manual that the vouchers are for food only and not in the store, never mind, I was going to get a few souvenirs regardless. On the plus note found out that Hugo Boss are sponsoring the uniforms!!!!(y)(y)(y)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Very used to the publics stupid questions in my day job :ROFLMAO: It says in the marshals manual that the vouchers are for food only and not in the store, never mind, I was going to get a few souvenirs regardless. On the plus note found out that Hugo Boss are sponsoring the uniforms!!!!(y)(y)(y)
I've still got my jacket from 1995, just had a look in the stuff that never gets worn wardrobe, St Andrews Links collection brand - Royal Blue.

Got a maroon Hugo Boss baseball cap as part of the media goodie bag when I photographed Carnoustie in 2018. By the way the marshalls' uniforms at that Open annoyed photographers - bright red jackets and standing right behind the player to clutter up the background in lots of shots.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did it at Muirfield in 2013. What an amazing time I had. Plenty time when off duty to watch golf.
Are you doing it with your club? We got a different role each day. Crossings, ball spotting, stand, round green, the tee.
Being on the tee is the best job. Watching the best in the world tee off and seeing in their bag is so cool.
You also get to see who is a great guy ( Miguel) or not so nice (Rose).
Would love to do it again.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
done seniors and ladies open at royal Lytham and have a couple of tips.

Make sure your hole senior Marshal rotates you all around the hole, it can get very dull and tiring if stood in same place all the time.

Have a look in shop and ask if you can put some gear to one side ( to use your vouchers with) as you will find most stuff will have gone if you leave it until last day.

Take your own grub but you may not need water as they supply this for you.

Enjoy the experience, as mentioned done it twice now and it is great especially if you are on the tee box with them paddles :)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Do these kind of events still rely on voluntary (unpaid) labour? Other than effectively getting a free ticket to the event, are there any other incentives?

When I was a teenager, I used to work on the turnstiles at Palace. You had to get there 2 hours before kick-off, started actually 'working' at 1330, finished at about 1505, then took an empty seat at 1510 for free. I also got paid £25 too. One of the best jobs i ever had :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do these kind of events still rely on voluntary (unpaid) labour? Other than effectively getting a free ticket to the event, are there any other incentives?

When I was a teenager, I used to work on the turnstiles at Palace. You had to get there 2 hours before kick-off, started actually 'working' at 1330, finished at about 1505, then took an empty seat at 1510 for free. I also got paid £25 too. One of the best jobs i ever had :ROFLMAO:
Free gear, you get up close and personal, possibly getting as good a view as possible, at times inside the ropes. Not surprised you don't need to pay people to do that job.

sunshine

Visit site
Doing it via my club we’ve got hole 12

I'm sure you'll have great fun - enjoy!

How did you get the gig? There must have been loads at your club who wanted to do it!

Are the volunteers sourced from local clubs to the venue?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm sure you'll have great fun - enjoy!

How did you get the gig? There must have been loads at your club who wanted to do it!

Are the volunteers sourced from local clubs to the venue?

We got a general email asking for volunteers, my friend and I put in for it and got selected. I believe most Opens extend this opportunity to local clubs near the venue - but don't quote me on that.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We got a general email asking for volunteers, my friend and I put in for it and got selected. I believe most Opens extend this opportunity to local clubs near the venue - but don't quote me on that.

I believe Canterbury have got the 4th and Walmer the 12th.
A few characters got there waterproofs last time and then pissed off, so they've put someone in charge this time.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I believe Canterbury have got the 4th and Walmer the 12th.
A few characters got there waterproofs last time and then pissed off, so they've put someone in charge this time.

There's nothing to suggest you couldn't just grab the gear and not turn up, but that's a despicable thing to do! We may be sharing the 12th with Walmer then - still have yet to play Walmer and Kingsdown - People I know that have played it either love it or hate it.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's nothing to suggest you couldn't just grab the gear and not turn up, but that's a despicable thing to do! We may be sharing the 12th with Walmer then - still have yet to play Walmer and Kingsdown - People I know that have played it either love it or hate it.
friend of mine just left Canters to join there, mainly as it'll be open all year.
Ive not played it in a while, thought it was ok, nothing special.