Marine A - Right or wrong?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Not for the first time in this thread I will respectfully ask you to not make any judgements on my own military career- you do not and will not know where I have been or what I have done so please stop judging my career on some preconceived idea from when you were in the military in the 80's.

70's, 80's & 90's actually but let's not let facts get in the way!

And from all my tours over that period and reading your posts and opinions on this, it's certainly my opinion you never had any real firefighting combat situations otherwise you wouldn't have this PC, lefty, do-gooder attitude that you have, so I think it is relevant to mention your military career as you've mentioned it when it suits in some threads so you can't pick & choose when it doesn't suit, so I treat your opinions on this no different to a man on the street with little or no experience of those full frontal in your face situations because you haven't experienced them first hand, there's nothing wrong with that, but your opinion as an ex-serviceman I find distasteful but excusable to a degree because the odd safe tour doesn't make your opinions valid imo.

D

Deleted member 15344

70's, 80's & 90's actually but let's not let facts get in the way!

And from all my tours over that period and reading your posts and opinions on this, it's certainly my opinion you never had any real firefighting combat situations otherwise you wouldn't have this PC, lefty, do-gooder attitude that you have, so I think it is relevant to mention your military career as you've mentioned it when it suits in some threads so you can't pick & choose when it doesn't suit, so I treat your opinions on this no different to a man on the street with little or no experience of those full frontal in your face situations because you haven't experienced them first hand, there's nothing wrong with that, but your opinion as an ex-serviceman I find distasteful but excusable to a degree because the odd safe tour doesn't make your opinions valid imo.

I show respect to your service in the Military please i ask politely that you do the same to others.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The only people in the past tried for war crimes have been those on the losing side. There were cases in WW2 were recce troops and tank crews were known to have shot enemy prisoners as there other choice was to let them run of and fight another day. It was happening on both sides.

The Malayan campaign was one of the worlds most successful anti insurgent campaigns. It was well know that British troops adopted similar tactics as the terrorists they were fighting, tactics which today's politically correct would never tolerate.

The marine was wrong but not one person knows how they would react under the exact same circumstances endured by him and those in the FOB during that particular tour.

While I agree with almost everything in your post, I believe the highlighted bit is incorrect! As I recall, many on both sides of the Yugoslav/Bosnian conflict were indicted for War Crimes!

And I think 'politically correct' is a rather too .... well .... 'politically correct' description!!

D

Deleted member 15344

The only people in the past tried for war crimes have been those on the losing side. There were cases in WW2 were recce troops and tank crews were known to have shot enemy prisoners as there other choice was to let them run of and fight another day. It was happening on both sides.

The Malayan campaign was one of the worlds most successful anti insurgent campaigns. It was well know that British troops adopted similar tactics as the terrorists they were fighting, tactics which today's politically correct would never tolerate.

The marine was wrong but not one person knows how they would react under the exact same circumstances endured by him and those in the FOB during that particular tour.

I'm not sure who was the winning side in the Balkans but a number of people on all sides were tried and convicted of war crimes.

D

Deleted member 15344

I can only think of two Bosnian Serbs but I'm willing to be corrected.

Dusko & Miroslav Tadic

Another i can remember is a Croat from Srebrenica Massacre - Erdemovic ?

There is though loads convicted of war crimes during the Bosnian and Yugoslav Wars

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my opinion the Geneva Convention is no longer fit for purpose. Sure it did its job during previous conflicts, between 'proper' armed forces, but when you are faced with groups (I won't call them military as they are not) like the Taliban and ISIS the goalposts need moving. In previous wars an injured soldier would have been patched up, taken POW and repatriated at the end of the war, to go back to his family and live his life. The Taliban and other terrorist groups are different. I have no doubt that had Sgt Blackman done the 'right thing', that taliban terrorist would be back on the front line trying to kill as many 'infidels' as he could. Rightly or wrongly Sgt Blackman removed that threat. Personally I think he did the right thing.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In my opinion the Geneva Convention is no longer fit for purpose. Sure it did its job during previous conflicts, between 'proper' armed forces, but when you are faced with groups (I won't call them military as they are not) like the Taliban and ISIS the goalposts need moving. In previous wars an injured soldier would have been patched up, taken POW and repatriated at the end of the war, to go back to his family and live his life. The Taliban and other terrorist groups are different. I have no doubt that had Sgt Blackman done the 'right thing', that taliban terrorist would be back on the front line trying to kill as many 'infidels' as he could. Rightly or wrongly Sgt Blackman removed that threat. Personally I think he did the right thing.

100%
👍👍

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember in old war films like The Great Escape, if a soldier was captured by the enemy in a war zone not wearing a uniform or in disguise , he was classed as a spy and shot. True or false, fact or fiction.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know its only a film but I didn't blame Dirty Harry for doing what he did either.

District Attorney Rothko: You're lucky I'm not indicting you for assault with intent to commit murder.
Harry Callahan: What?
District Attorney Rothko: Where the hell does it say that you've got a right to kick down doors, torture suspects, deny medical attention and legal counsel? Where have you been? Does Escobedo ring a bell? Miranda? I mean, you must have heard of the Fourth Amendment. What I'm saying is that man had rights.
Harry Callahan: Well, I'm all broken up about that man's rights.
Harry Callahan: You know, you're crazy if you think you've heard the last of this guy. He's gonna kill again.
District Attorney Rothko: How do you know?
Harry Callahan: 'Cause he likes it.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Spot on👍🏻

Too many do gooders about now that don't live in the real world.
Marine A did the right thing and now their is one less piece of scum on the planet.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know its only a film but I didn't blame Dirty Harry for doing what he did either.

District Attorney Rothko: You're lucky I'm not indicting you for assault with intent to commit murder.
Harry Callahan: What?
District Attorney Rothko: Where the hell does it say that you've got a right to kick down doors, torture suspects, deny medical attention and legal counsel? Where have you been? Does Escobedo ring a bell? Miranda? I mean, you must have heard of the Fourth Amendment. What I'm saying is that man had rights.
Harry Callahan: Well, I'm all broken up about that man's rights.
Harry Callahan: You know, you're crazy if you think you've heard the last of this guy. He's gonna kill again.
District Attorney Rothko: How do you know?
Harry Callahan: 'Cause he likes it.

Ha, i can remember his badge number. it was my pin number for a now DEFUNCT bank card. :cool:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
This thread is highlighting some dark traits in many people.

Not condoning murder = "do gooder".

Simple fact is that both sides in any war think they're in the right. The winner gets to dictate who that is. But to any member of the Taliban, we are most definitely as evil as we judge them to be.