Manners - or lack of......

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
One would hope you could make complaints anonymously to be honest.

In this case it would be difficult as they were the only 3 ball and they knew who were behind them so it would be obvious who complained

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob
can you clear your PM's out mate?
It's lovely when you write a lengthy tome to send to somebody, click on "submit" and it tells you they have exceeded their message quota. You are then advised to click on your "back" button to go back to the previous page and the essay that you spent 10 minutes arranging has disabloodypeared.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Full inbox? That's the worst piece of inconsiderate behaviour, in my opinion. ;)

You're right of course. How inconsiderate of me not to delete all the messages from people asking for free golf advice ;)

And now I have to wait all day to find out what Smiffy wanted. :mad: :D

Hey i didn't know i could get free advise Bob, but i do now :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's lovely when you write a lengthy tome to send to somebody, click on "submit" and it tells you they have exceeded their message quota. You are then advised to click on your "back" button to go back to the previous page and the essay that you spent 10 minutes arranging has disabloodypeared.
You could always write your PM in Notepad or something and then copy and paste it when it's ready to send. That way you'll always have a backup if the message doesn't go through.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

not a good idea. if you have a complaint man-up.
I've worked on too many committees that allowed 'silent' complaints and wasted too much time addressing them. you will never know if the complaint against the action you took to address the first wasn't from the same, permanently dissatisfied individual.

but on the subject of etiquette and the lack thereof, I have noticed no age barrier to its abuse, merely a change of emphasis through the ages. to whit; the major offenders of the misuse of phones on the course (that I have observed) are those aged between 30 and 40, they also account for the majority of those guilty of unwarranted aggression - (aka speed merchants).

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site

not a good idea. if you have a complaint man-up.
I've worked on too many committees that allowed 'silent' complaints and wasted too much time addressing them. you will never know if the complaint against the action you took to address the first wasn't from the same, permanently dissatisfied individual.

Poor choice of words on my part, rather than anonymous, I should have said confidential, ie you need to identify yourself to the committee or secretary when making the complaint but your identity shouldn't be passed on to the person(s) the complaint is about, for reasons of recrimination as stated previously.

but on the subject of etiquette and the lack thereof, I have noticed no age barrier to its abuse, merely a change of emphasis through the ages. to whit; the major offenders of the misuse of phones on the course (that I have observed) are those aged between 30 and 40, they also account for the majority of those guilty of unwarranted aggression - (aka speed merchants).

Interesting point there, the course I play at allows GPS devices (including, presumably, those found on some smartphones) but has recently put up a sign saying mobiles are only to be used in the event of an emergency, which is a bit of a contradiction, imo.

One of my regular partners quite often takes calls on the course (we only play friendlies, I don't know what he does when he's playing competitions), I never hear his ringtone though, which is what I think most people get annoyed about (My phone is on silent when I'm using the GPS app) and I have to say it doesn't bother me at all, provided he doesn't hold us up, which he doesn't usually.

If anything it gives me more time to look for my ball... :mad:

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
LHC, the types that annoy me are those that think the tee is an extension of their office. They take calls and make them and just will not get out of the way.

Confidential is OK, anonymous should go in the bin.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use to play at Wimbledon Common and the members of the public had the right of way and boy did some of them know it. They'd deliberately walk down the length of a hole and often deliberately unleash their dog to take up even more time. Most members were pretty reticent and some would still say "good morning" with a big grin to the culprit just so they didn't feel they'd won the battle.

However there were also plenty of those that would take the time to stop and wait for the golfers to tee off and would often stop and chat.

I've also played a lot of courses where there are cross overs i.e driving over the edge of another fairway or green (a bit like the Old Course) and it was clearly marked that tees gave way to greens. Personally I wouldn't have been too hung up about whether someone had acknowledge me or not.