Making Course difficult for Pros

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
He hasn’t just been playing at pins though, sometimes it’s just been a case of getting it in the front edge and hoping for 2 putts.
Understand the point you are making, but if you go back to the original OP I think this is the main point imurg was making:

Driving accuracy 18%
And he's 7 under after 14.

D

Deleted member 1147

Understand the point you are making, but if you go back to the original OP I think this is the point imurg was making:

Driving accuracy 18%
Birdie when you do hit fairways, up and down on par 5’s and some great shots from fairway bunkers or gouges from the rough.
perfectly reasonable, for the best players, on a flat calm day!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The issue to me at Torrey wasn't the depth of rough, it mas more the lack of trees, or other such obstacles. It really is a golf course in a field.

D

Deleted member 1147

The issue to me at Torrey wasn't the depth of rough, it mas more the lack of trees, or other such obstacles. It really is a golf course in a field.
...and fairway bunkers weren't deep enough. In fact I imagine the players were quite happy to miss the rough and go in a bunker.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
Did you read the GM article's debate before jumping up and down on what's just an opinion? I didn't say we 'should' merely that IF it was suggested then there's a simple way without expensive course mods or upsetting the casual golfer.

Relax - its just a Forum!!

No I didn't read it, I didn't really care what it has to say to be honest. I perfectly relaxed. I know its just a forum, I was just pointing out how ridiculous your suggestion is.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
Leishman today at the Farmer's
Driving accuracy 18%
GiR %age 85%
Now I know these guys are good but something's wrong there if you ask me.

That goes to show that the equipment needs dialing back.
If your 300+ off the tee, it doesn't matter if you hit fairways or not as more than likely your next shot is with a wedge.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That goes to show that the equipment needs dialing back.
If your 300+ off the tee, it doesn't matter if you hit fairways or not as more than likely your next shot is with a wedge.

Not at Torrey. At 7765 yards, there were not that many wedges hit as a second shot. Especially as the ground was mucky, and the fairways narrow.

sunshine

Visit site
Leishman today at the Farmer's
Driving accuracy 18%
GiR %age 85%
Now I know these guys are good but something's wrong there if you ask me.

Actually something was right: his putting! He played some great recovery shots too, sensible safe shots