Make sure your club is obeying all the Health and Safety Regulations

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have no idea of the legislation but my club seemed very efficient. The only WC facility open is the disabled toilet and a request you inform the office if it is used so then can arrange for it to be sanitised again. The locker room is open on a very strict one in/one out. We have a marshal on the front gate checking people in, and then checking them onto the 1st tee or practice ground and another checking those going off the 10th. We also have a buggy patrolling the course. On the back of that it seems everyone has complied in terms of being in pairs so far and it seems to be working well. I don't know what they are doing in terms of the green keeping staff and their protection but assume it'll include rolling start times etc.

In a way, I don't think its a bad thing to have that threat of an HSE visit hanging over a club and you'd hope it'll keep them honest and working hard to make it a safe environment to work and play in. Also good that any transgressions will be on a club by club basis and so idiots at a club down the road doesn't appear to threaten it for my club.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I didn't say it was only pay and play golfers in the idiot minority.
I very clearly said that members can be accountable but visitors can't be, as has been repeated often on here.

If members misbehave then the club has their membership as leverage. 4 members getting caught on the 17th would risk a suspension or worse.

If a visitor misbehaves the only thing the club has is that golfer's green fee. 4 visitors caught on the 17th risk missing out on 1 hole... Whoopee...

so the membership as leverage means they ban them? can they not ban a visitor? or is the difference actually that theyve had more money from the member than the visitor so they think the member should behave more?

personally have always behaved the same whether im a member or a visitor, one things for sure, theres several clubs that will be struggle financially if they go back to treating visitors as second class citizens, just when they really cant afford to

Swango1980

Visit site
I know of one club, which is a 9 hole course, that are doing shotgun starts every day. I guess it is to avoid crossover of groups when going from 9th to 10th, although having 36 people all turn up together is an interesting concept. Also, as they have 5 shotgun start times per day (1 for 18 holes, 4 for 9 holes), there is the potential for 36 people leaving together whilst another 36 turn up (allowance of 2 hour gaps between 9 hole start times)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Bit confusing over the Severn Bridge.

Courses can open on Monday. Lots of regulations...club have complied with them.

But Welsh Government haven't lifted restrictions on driving to place of exercise. So...will the police be handing out fines in the car park?

Similarly. A local fishery opened this morning. Some locals unhappy about people driving there.

Garden Centre car park across the road was packed. Police not present.

I've booked to play at lunch time. Will be interesting to see what transpires

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit confusing over the Severn Bridge.

Courses can open on Monday. Lots of regulations...club have complied with them.

But Welsh Government haven't lifted restrictions on driving to place of exercise. So...will the police be handing out fines in the car park?

Similarly. A local fishery opened this morning. Some locals unhappy about people driving there.

Garden Centre car park across the road was packed. Police not present.

I've booked to play at lunch time. Will be interesting to see what transpires
You have to walk to Golf Club.
If it's a long way, you might need to stay there!

sunshine

Visit site
I know of one club, which is a 9 hole course, that are doing shotgun starts every day. I guess it is to avoid crossover of groups when going from 9th to 10th, although having 36 people all turn up together is an interesting concept. Also, as they have 5 shotgun start times per day (1 for 18 holes, 4 for 9 holes), there is the potential for 36 people leaving together whilst another 36 turn up (allowance of 2 hour gaps between 9 hole start times)

This sounds crazy. shops and everywhere else introducing systems to flow people around a one way system. And this club doing the complete opposite so people are wandering all over the course and using car park etc at the same time.

sunshine

Visit site
so the membership as leverage means they ban them? can they not ban a visitor? or is the difference actually that theyve had more money from the member than the visitor so they think the member should behave more?

personally have always behaved the same whether im a member or a visitor, one things for sure, theres several clubs that will be struggle financially if they go back to treating visitors as second class citizens, just when they really cant afford to

I thought it was pretty obvious and pretty sensible what traminator said.

There's always a minority of idiots. If they are a member they are more invested in the club (financially, socially, emotionally) so more likely to behave.

I think it's a shame but being pragmatic I understand why public courses like haste hill remain closed.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just back from marshalling all morning. Nearly everyone very well behaved - had to speak to a couple of people who were ignoring the tees placed and trying to play off the tips claiming "they wanted to be ready for the next competition". Just put the buggy between the tips and the actual markers on a couple of holes to put a stop to it.

But generally everyone really happy to be out there - really pleased the course was in good condition. Except for "Mr Moaner" on the other thread who came THIS close to being told where he could take his membership if he didn't like it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But generally everyone really happy to be out there - really pleased the course was in good condition. Except for "Mr Moaner" on the other thread who came THIS close to being told where he could take his membership if he didn't like it.

Was that the same guy you mentioned yesterday. Tell him to put up or shut up. Shame Traditions (or whatever it changed its name to) went or he could have gone there and really had something to moan about. Remind him Hoebridge and Silvermere are both 10 minutes away and he can always go and enjoy 5+ hour rounds there instead. He sounds a right pain

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep it was him. And he's out early tomorrow when I am marshalling again so I will have to be so careful not to tell him where to take his clubs, attitude, complaints etc.

BTW just lipped out for a hole-in-one on the 6th at Pyrford. Nothing to do with the inserts in the holes but wow it was close.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yep it was him. And he's out early tomorrow when I am marshalling again so I will have to be so careful not to tell him where to take his clubs, attitude, complaints etc.

BTW just lipped out for a hole-in-one on the 6th at Pyrford. Nothing to do with the inserts in the holes but wow it was close.
I assume despite him being a royal pain there's not a lot you can do is there?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How's Pyrford looking?

I'm booked in Sarurday at 11.40 to play with my Dad - members only at Ascot so we can't play together there, seems like Pyrford was the only club to have tee times on Saturday before 4pm!

Greens will be quicker by next weekend - we came down another .5mm today on the cut - you have to do it in stages - fairways/rough excellent - bunkers need some work but without the man power during the lockdown, that is understandable. We will have white tees back in play by then too. I am out at 9.16 so should be finishing just as you get there - come and say hello - you'll know where I am parked being the Captain :)

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Greens will be quicker by next weekend - we came down another .5mm today on the cut - you have to do it in stages - fairways/rough excellent - bunkers need some work but without the man power during the lockdown, that is understandable. We will have white tees back in play by then too. I am out at 9.16 so should be finishing just as you get there - come and say hello - you'll know where I am parked being the Captain :)
I will do indeed! Guests ok to play off the whites?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you want - we put yellows only this first week just to speed up play whilst people got back into the game after not having swung a club for eight weeks.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want - we put yellows only this first week just to speed up play whilst people got back into the game after not having swung a club for eight weeks.

This makes sense to me. One of the most important factors at the moment is keeping the course flowing so as there are no jams on tees, at the clubhouse, in the car park etc. To have a full course of golfers who had not hit a ball for 3 months playing off the white tees would not seem conducive to keeping the flow smooth on the course and keeping higher footfall areas free of traffic.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That was the view of everyone except our resident club complainer and one person on this forum who I think needs to pair up with him for nine holes to see how long he lasts