Machrihanish Trip February 2014

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
So the time of year has arrived again for me to make my first trip around to Machrihanish Golf Club. The 5:30am alarm is always welcomed when heading to play golf although having watched the forecast all week things were not looking great and the full waterproofs were packed.

As usual thecraw did all the hard work and organised the trip and along with other members of the OGN and GM forum we arrived safely in plenty of time no thanks to the bus aquaplaning around a corner! It lashed with rain most of the journey round and the thought of a wet round of golf was not very appealing. As we got closer to the course the wind had also picked up so the conditions were becoming perfect from proper links golf.

This was the view out the window of the clubhouse should give an idea...

Machaaa.jpg

After speaking to the pro we decided to head out and at that stage the rain stopped and the wind picked up.

As we were off the winter tees the beach at the first shouldn't have come into play...but these two balls managed to find the sand. Unfortunately the player that hit one of them didn't want to play from the beach as I think he was a tad camera shy lol

Machh.jpg

However we managed it I will never know but the rain ceased for the duration of the whole round and apart from a couple of minutes of hail around the turn we didn't see any rain on the course.

There was a fair bit of water lying around the course due to the serious rain fall lately however the course was in great nick with the fairways and greens playing excellent for the time of year.

As you can see from the following photos it was proper golf in proper wind!

Machj.jpg

View down the first.

Mach14a.jpg

Long Par 3

Mach14.jpg

Easy hole!

Machi-1.jpg

Fairway Dodger splitting the fairway again!

Machf.jpg

He who shall not be named on his way to a + 4 round lol

Machl.jpg

Big Slice

Machg.jpg

AMcC Knocking it down the middle.

MAchd.jpg

Even had some sunshine!

Machk.jpg

Another nice shot from Brian.

Machc.jpg

Another nice green to putt on.

Machz.jpg

The water after the round!

Probably some of the toughest wind conditions I've ever played in but I really enjoyed the challenge and TheCraw has to be given great credit for his golf in the testing conditions.

All in all another super trip and one I will look forward to making again. It was nice to meet some more GM forummers and the folk from

OGN

are continuing to bring golfers together. Cant wait until The Irish Craic Challenge in July to meet some more.

Highlight for me was birdie up the last!:thup:

Last edited by a moderator:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quality pictures there Fabio ,as usual thecraw runs a class outing down there and i'm looking forward to another trip down there later on in the year.
Now thats what i call proper golf water crashing in and a mild zephyr.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unbelievable how we got it dry Steve. The conditions were brutal on the drive round. Look forward to another catch up with you later in the year. I will be sorting a trip to Millport again and will keep you in the loop to say to you mates to get a car load down for that too.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unbelievable how we got it dry Steve. The conditions were brutal on the drive round. Look forward to another catch up with you later in the year. I will be sorting a trip to Millport again and will keep you in the loop to say to you mates to get a car load down for that too.

Spot on mate ,loved Millport a cracking we track with views to die for.The first time i played Mach it was like that but it honked down with rain,just fell in love with the place after that.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Does indeed look rather rather good - and 'challenging'!

Whose ripped those 2 huge divots in the first pic?:rolleyes:

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Aye. It was a cracking day out indeed. And some round of golf from thecraw. 4 over in those conditions was great shooting!

Always good to meet up with friendly faces.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice pics and great write up mate , weather looks lovely in the pics what ya talking about ? :D ,

just kidding it musta been blowing a gale by the pics of the seas , looks a lovely track ,

p.s wouldn't walk down the fairway to pick up a Wilson never mind the beach :)

Hope Alan mc did the new AP1's proud, by far the best 18 handicapper ive ever played with anyhow

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

That place seems to have a track record for producing decent weather. I was sat in my B+B across the road watching the rain lash down but by the time I had changed and paid my green fee the sun was splitting the sky and it stayed that way for all 36 holes :)

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice pics and great write up mate , weather looks lovely in the pics what ya talking about ? :D ,

just kidding it musta been blowing a gale by the pics of the seas , looks a lovely track ,

p.s wouldn't walk down the fairway to pick up a Wilson never mind the beach :)

Hope Alan mc did the new AP1's proud, by far the best 18 handicapper ive ever played with anyhow

Thanks Bill, flattery will get you everywhere lol, your cheque is in the post.

I was please how I played, especially back in to the wind on the second nine.

Another amazing trip to Machrihanish and it was a howling gale.

Also that was very nice of Farneyman to post my photos !,! Thanks;)

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Bill, flattery will get you everywhere lol, your cheque is in the post.

I was please how I played, especially back in to the wind on the second nine.

Another amazing trip to Machrihanish and it was a howling gale.

Also that was very nice of Farneyman to post my photos !,! Thanks;)

I know how you struggle with photobucket Alan so I thought I would save you the hassle.:temper: