low spinning shots around the green

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i currently cant play this shot. is it really worth my time and effort learing to do it. the benefits are clear but is it worth the time and effort or should i spend my time on a different aspect of the game.

[video=youtube;TWaabgCiluc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWaabgCiluc[/video]

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why?

Like dave says a chip and run would be a safer option.

If its low spinning why is the guy talking about a lot of spin?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You have to commit and throw it 3/4 of the way to the pin, short backswing and fast through the ball. Not easy...depends on the greens.. if they're not tour spec then it's harder, also harder to get the spin on damp greens.. the pro's have some things easier than us club golfers.. don't believe everything you see on TV.... oh, and play a decent ball!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks like a recipe for beautiful Sherman shots to me. I don't like taking the clubface early to the inside and open, this requires perfect timing.

I prefer to play this shot by maintaining the hinge in the back wrist through impact with body rotation squaring the clubface.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
more hassel than its worth i suppose. better off spending my time on putting. more chance of sticking a bump and run into the hole.

id imagine the pros greens are alot easier to do this kind of thing!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do occasionally try this type of shot. I would use it when I'm too far back from the green to run it up but too close to feel comfortable hitting a fuller shot. Say 20-30 yards from the green with the pin at the back (imagine 20 yards of fringe and 20 yards of green). It means you can fly the ball to the pin rather than have to work where to land it so it will run out. I think he over complicates it and makes it sound harder than it is. JO has the technique well summed up - short swing and fast through the ball.

I generally use my SW or GW, with the ball back in my stance a bit and try to "punch" through the bottom of the ball so it spins a lot. I keep the face square though (I think!). When it comes off you do get a nice low(ish) shot that checks up so you can pitch the ball up to the pin more. I always focus on getting the leading edge right into the bottom of the ball between the ball and the turf.

Might also use a similar technique if the lie is a bit dodgy as I am hitting down and through the ball. In that case the ball will roll out more though as the contact won't be as clean.

It can result in its fair share of fats and thins but that's true of any shot I attempt from that distance.:eek:

I'm sure there are low h/cap guys or better short game exponents than me who could explain and execute it better.

Hmmmm, chipping is probably the weakest part of my game yet here I am offering tips in the Ask the Experts section. Sorry guys, need to lie down.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Seems an overly complicated way of playing a straight-forward shot to me...

Just get the ball to the putting surface and let it roll out..

Or even putt it - from the video, even that would work in that situation.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use it rather than a running shot where I want to avoid the problem of possibly landing the ball short so it pitches on the fringe and doesn't run out or pitches too far up and runs miles past the hole. Just a shot that I play occasionally in a specific type of situation but not one I play a lot.

Some pros seem to play this kind of shot from much closer to make the ball check up by the hole from just off the green but in that situation I'd definately be putting or playing a little chip and run.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ive seen a couple of people do it to great effect. not many mind you! a guy whos son plays off scratch did it on the last hole. he hadnt played much great golf then produced a superb shot at the end and said his son taught him that.