Low Spinning Premium Balls

Simon_Barker

Visit site
Recently was fitted for a new driver, G410 SFT. Chose that over TM Sim MAX D as easier to hit, BUT does launch v high and spin more than I'd want. Thinking of counteracting that with a lower spinning ball (off the driver at least). Currently use B'stone RX. Any suggestions gratefully received (h'cap is 18, BTW)

D

Deleted member 3432

Recently was fitted for a new driver, G410 SFT. Chose that over TM Sim MAX D as easier to hit, BUT does launch v high and spin more than I'd want. Thinking of counteracting that with a lower spinning ball (off the driver at least). Currently use B'stone RX. Any suggestions gratefully received (h'cap is 18, BTW)

Doesn't sound like a very good fitting to be pefectly honest if launch and spin are too high.

How long ago was this fitting done?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Cheapest way to reduce height and spin is to reduce your loft
Might be worth trying your 410 on the small - setting before worrying about balls.

Simon_Barker

Visit site
Thanks All, I know the drive spins at approx 2800 when I was fit with it, and I knew that choosing the club (over the TM Sim MAX, which span at 2200) as it by far required the least effort to hit. The launch however surprised me when I got it on the course. Downwind, of course, it's time, but baloons in to the wind. I had lofted up, but I'll go back to the regular setting and see how that works.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks All, I know the drive spins at approx 2800 when I was fit with it, and I knew that choosing the club (over the TM Sim MAX, which span at 2200) as it by far required the least effort to hit. The launch however surprised me when I got it on the course. Downwind, of course, it's time, but baloons in to the wind. I had lofted up, but I'll go back to the regular setting and see how that works.

I think 2,800 is maybe slightly higher than ideal, but I don't think it's the kind of numbers that would derail a decent set up. Swing speed key here obviously.

My feeling is that most of the 'premium' balls will all have similar results for you.

Try the Vice Golf ball questionnaire fitter to see if it points you in a direction of something other than Pro or Pro+.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So you got fitted and then changed the loft settings? Why would you do this?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure I'd be happy to have a fitting where I came away with a launch that was too high and spin numbers that were too high. Not sure what the premium ball is going to do in terms of fixing it and launch numbers will largely be dependent on what you bring to the table in terms of your own swing

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Depending on your SS 2800rpm could be fine.

2200 is optimal if you are swinging it 110+

Also the AoA will have a big influence on your spin number. If you are hitting down on the ball the spin will increase (obviously) and then there is strike. A ball will make no difference compared to strike.

From someone who chased lower spin, be careful, you can end up with too little and lose all control.

1591190812053.png

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hi Simon, Welcome to the forum, Lovely courses you play at btw.

Like you, I find that Ping drivers do spin a bit more than others aswell, however, as you say, they are forgiving and go a lot straighter. Therefore, don't worry about the lower the spin, if anything it is harder to control, so stick with the settings you were fitted at and then maybe play around with tee height to try and launch it a bit lower. I don't think a ball will make that much difference. That said, if all else fails just go out and buy a 1 or 2 iron ;) ;)

Simon_Barker

Visit site
I think 2,800 is maybe slightly higher than ideal, but I don't think it's the kind of numbers that would derail a decent set up. Swing speed key here obviously.

My feeling is that most of the 'premium' balls will all have similar results for you.

Try the Vice Golf ball questionnaire fitter to see if it points you in a direction of something other than Pro or Pro+.

Thanks Grant, I was unaware of that questionnaire,

Cheers

SB

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
don't know about premium balls but what about one of the soft balls, Wilson DX soft or Callaway super soft, used both these over the winter and both had very little spin on

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think low-spinning and premium is practically an oxymoron when it comes to balls - isn't the spin what you pay extra for?? But anyway I use the exact same driver and my ball of choice is the Titleist Velocity, I find them pretty long and straight off the tee, still soft enough that they don't feel like rocks on/around the green. I mean, long and low-spinning is pretty much what it's designed for.

Edit: the G410 is very high-launching. With my older drivers I have used them at 12° or 11° since my swing is only around 85mph, but the G410 SFT I just have on standard 10.5. I don't think many people would need to loft it up.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Hi Simon, I’m curious why the custom fitting didn’t give you what you wanted ? Im guessing the fitting was done in an indoor net, and you only found out about the higher than expected launch angle in an outdoor environment after you’d bought the club ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to be honest I was using premium balls and in the winds we've had recently and swing issues post-lockdown they've not been a good choice and distance has been down mainly due to badly hit drives spinning more and loss of distance with poor iron strikes. Gone back to a 3 piece (Srixon AD333 tour) and find these aren't as punishing and are still giving me enough spin around the greens

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Have to be honest I was using premium balls and in the winds we've had recently and swing issues post-lockdown they've not been a good choice and distance has been down mainly due to badly hit drives spinning more and loss of distance with poor iron strikes. Gone back to a 3 piece (Srixon AD333 tour) and find these aren't as punishing and are still giving me enough spin around the greens
ProV1 and ZStar are both 3 piece balls...its all in the cover.