Loss of distance

ollie627

Hacker
Visit site
Hello, I've recently lost my distance in all areas of my game. I've uploaded a video of my swing which is the driver. it's going as straight as an arrow but the distance is not there anymore.

[video=youtube;2E4R2JJhTwU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4R2JJhTwU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Ollie,

How far are you hitting it now and how far do you think you used to hit it?

Have you consciously changed anything?

ollie627

Hacker
Visit site
I used to be able to hit it between 260-270, a bit further when I got a good one, i'm now hitting 200ish. i've considered it might be the weather but I've never hit it this short in previous winters. I've been having to take a 7 iron from 130 out when that's usually a 9 or a wedge for me.

I had a lesson about a month ago because i had the shanks, he told me to stand further away from the ball because i was too close and it cured the shanks but has resulted in the loss of distance. Hope this answers your questions.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to be able to hit it between 260-270, a bit further when I got a good one, i'm now hitting 200ish. i've considered it might be the weather but I've never hit it this short in previous winters. I've been having to take a 7 iron from 130 out when that's usually a 9 or a wedge for me.

I had a lesson about a month ago because i had the shanks, he told me to stand further away from the ball because i was too close and it cured the shanks but has resulted in the loss of distance. Hope this answers your questions.

I'm about 20-30yds down with the driver in these conditions, and maybe a club shorter with irons, so your loss might not be as bad as you first thought. 60-70yds is a bit much though.

I can't help with your question I'm afraid as I'm not too knowledgeable with swings, but just thought your answers might help the people who might be able to offer suggestions. :)

ollie627

Hacker
Visit site
Not so much in my driver, but in my irons i'm hitting quite a high ball. My normal shape is a draw which hasn't really been there.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
It could be you aren't getting your hands ahead at impact anymore. Either casting or not shifting your weight from right to left on the downswing.

You could ask the pro to take a look and see what he thinks or possibly someone here will be along with a more accurate cause and fix.

You swing quite fast and i sm using iphond so I'm unable to see what it is.

Last edited:

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
Lack of distance could be caused by to much backspin. If your hitting the ball higher then there is a good chance your now hitting the ball with more spin. Change your ball and see if you can lower your flight a little. Maybe try and get your hands in front of the ball a little with a small forward press see how that goes.