Looking for club membership suggestions (Surrey)

jcgolf

Visit site
Hey! I’m looking to join a course local to me (Epsom, Surrey). I moved to the area late last year, so am relatively unfamiliar with the local course options. A little bit about me to help with any suggestions:

I’m 24, so membership up to the £600-700 / year mark is what I’m looking at, and it seems I can join some very decent courses for that budget due to my age.

I’m looking for a course with good practice facilities, a welcoming atmosphere as I am new to the area and looking to meet new people, and ideally within 20 mins of Epsom. I currently have a round/tour organised with Reigate Hill which fits most of my criteria, it’s just right on that 20 minute drive mark, so potentially something closer would be preferable. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
Cuddington is a very good shout but not sure about the practise facilities. Reigate Hill is OK but quite a short course. I was a member when it first opened. Nothing is cheap in that area but lots of choice. Wouldnt Epsom Downs be your choice?

jcgolf

Visit site
I've been put of the area for too many years to know costs, but I'd say you were spoiled for choice round there!

Cuddington was always good.. lots of famous names too...

Yep Cuddington is definitely on the list, looks like a lovely course and is very close.

My only concern is around practice facilities, short-game and a range would be great and not sure if they have it, but I'll have to arrange to go over there and check it out.

jcgolf

Visit site
Cuddington is a very good shout but not sure about the practise facilities. Reigate Hill is OK but quite a short course. I was a member when it first opened. Nothing is cheap in that area but lots of choice. Wouldnt Epsom Downs be your choice?

Reigate Hill took my interest due to the practice facilities, and the course itself looks varied and interesting from what I can tell online. Not sure what the atmosphere is like!

Epsom is local and has some good membership offers, but I didn't originally consider it for a number of reasons related to the course itself. Have been up to the downs and walked across the course several times on the footpaths, and this always put me off. Should go and check it out, as I've heard only two or three holes are really affected by this.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep Cuddington is definitely on the list, looks like a lovely course and is very close.

My only concern is around practice facilities, short-game and a range would be great and not sure if they have it, but I'll have to arrange to go over there and check it out.

Cuddington is a lovely course and has benefited from large expenditure recently which has made it a joy to play.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Kingswood is certainly worth a look.
If I remember correctly, a chunk of Reigate Hill is right by the M25 and is a bloody noisy course to play.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Kingswood is certainly worth a look.

Does have a tendency to get wet in winter, and IIRC is a proprietary club rather than a members club, so the emphasis is dependant on the owner's priorities.

If I remember correctly, a chunk of Reigate Hill is right by the M25 and is a bloody noisy course to play.

It is.

Blue in Munich

Visit site

Cuddington has a putting green, chipping green and nets by the first tee. There is a practice bunker and practice area between the 12th & 17th. Bring & collect your own balls, there's a shed there to hit out of if it's hosing it down.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Others to consider in the area would be the RAC club in Epsom (don't know if they grade membership costs, but it does have 36 holes), Banstead Downs (chalk so drains well, A217 runs through the middle), Surbiton, Surrey Downs (next door to Kingswood), a little further afield are Tyrrels Wood, Woodcote Park (not to be confused with the RAC at Epsom, which also refers to itself as Woodcote Park), Malden, Coombe Hill & Coombe Wood. Walton Heath is probably the best test in the area but I'm not sure it would be the easiest to join.

And I'd echo the previous comments on Horton Park.

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
I think the original posters budget will exclude most of the recommendations. Perhaps consider a points based membership & use the balance saved to play as a visitor at the many courses in the area?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I think the original posters budget will exclude most of the recommendations. Perhaps consider a points based membership & use the balance saved to play as a visitor at the many courses in the area?

You’d need to look at the individual clubs as many do age reduced fees and joint fees for younger members. One of the clubs on the list is something like a 70% reduction on the full adult membership for his age.

A quick Google search reveals that Woodcote Park, Banstead Downs, Surbiton, Cuddington and Coombe Wood all do age reduced membership and joining fees, I haven’t checked any others. I’m not sure where the OP has moved into the area from but there may need to be a slight reappraisal of the budget (no offence intended OP).

Last edited:

jcgolf

Visit site
You’d need to look at the individual clubs as many do age reduced fees and joint fees for younger members. One of the clubs on the list is something like a 70% reduction on the full adult membership for his age.

A quick Google search reveals that Woodcote Park, Banstead Downs, Surbiton, Cuddington and Coombe Wood all do age reduced membership and joining fees, I haven’t checked any others. I’m not sure where the OP has moved into the area from but there may need to be a slight reappraisal of the budget (no offence intended OP).

Can certainly get a good standard of club for the budget I suggested due to my age. As you said, many clubs offer a significant discount as a way to encourage my generation to play the game. I’ve moved from Berkshire, so prices membership costs aren’t all that different. I’m returning to the game after a 7 year break, so good facilities, friendly people and a decent standard of course are what I’m looking for for this first year or two of getting back into it.