• Bladed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Combined Set

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Like the challenge of a links course (terrain, faster greens wind, pot bunkers etc) but have been brought up on inland courses and enjoy them more. I think that with inland courses you can follow the seasons as the trees beging to blossom, flower turn that mystical golden colour in Autumn and have that solemn serenitly when stripped by cold winter winds.

I'm not saying that links don't have their own particular beauty each season. Also I love the magnitude of wildlife we have on our course (especially at the moment) including Egyptian geese, red kites, muncjac deer (not sure that is the correct spelling), pheasants, buzzards and a stateley heron

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played one links course, once, at a time when I could not play at all (don't hate me but it was St Andrews).

I really remember very little about it (this was 1972), except that I got a freak birdie (slice bounced off a rock to 6 in from the pin) but for me golf is, and always wiil be, links. Besides that it's the call of the sea . .

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I voted links...

Seaside Golf by John Betjeman

How straight it flew, how long it flew,
It clear'd the rutty track
And soaring, disappeared from view
Beyond the bunker's back -
A glorious, sailing, bounding drive
That made me glad I was alive.

And down the fairway, far along
It glowed a lonely white;
I played an iron sure and strong
And clipp'd it out of sight,
And spite of grassy banks between
I knew I'd find it on the green.

And so I did. It lay content
Two paces from the pin;
A steady putt and then it went
Oh, most surely in.
The very turf rejoiced to see
That quite unprecedented three.

Ah! Seaweed smells from sandy caves
And thyme and mist in whiffs,
In-coming tide, Atlantic waves
Slapping the sunny cliffs,
Lark song and sea sounds in the air
And splendour, splendour everywhere.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have to say that for me it is close but I think Links are tops.

There was an article in the Oct/Nov issue of GM listing writers dream trips. Coincidentally I bought the mag in Barnstaple while staying at the Saunton Sands Hotel while on the exact trip one writer listed as his dream!

We played Burnham and Berrow,Royal North Devon and both Saunton courses. Amazing,brilliant wonderful courses,what a test of your technique and imagination.

I am known amongst my gang for my high ball flight so it was tough,but I learned so much that I now use every week back in Surrey on my home Parkland course.

Reading the article prompted me to write in for the first time,and much to my delight they printed it!

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Links for me, even though I am landlocked as a golfer. Plays links 1-2 timer per year.

Can't beat standing on the tee, with the wind blowing off the sea, challenging greens, superb views - let battle commence (the conditions are usually victorious).

Played Flamborough about 2 years ago, planned two rounds and about 27 holes in the mist just rolled in and couldn't see 10 yeards. Great.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm envious of Nico. So many people have told me that Burnham and Saunton are incredible courses. Never played them.
BTW I think Viscount must be ex-navy if he likes being by the sea so much.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Shanker, they were some of the days of my life!!!

Please please make the effort to play RND.

It is so special playing the course that was home to J.H. Taylor. The whole experience lit my year.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have only ever played a couple of links courses but it is links for me, really enjoyed the challange.
Not many links courses around Nottingham, Range Ball. A few good courses in your area, though. Wollaton, Hollinwell, Erewash Valley?