Let the Xmas film season begin

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure its just me, but I really dont get the "fan-dom" for Die Hard? A fairly ordinary "action" film, not improved by having Bruce Willis in it.

It's got to be White Christmas - cheesiness and sentimentality in equal measure, coupled with some good dancing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure its just me, but I really dont get the "fan-dom" for Die Hard? A fairly ordinary "action" film, not improved by having Bruce Willis in it.
It's not an ordinary action film, it's the quintessential action film. On IMDB it's rated 8.2 so obviously most people don't share your view. There can't be many out and out action films rated higher than that. And the mild Christmas connection just gives people an excuse to watch it each year.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Carry On Up The Khyber

No connection with Xmas, but some channel or other always seems to show it. Always makes me laugh when I'm full of the Xmas spirit. ;)

Ben-Hur, Spartacus and Great Escape - These three were a permanent feature of Xmas for a few decades. Don't seem to feature much these last few years.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Fortunately Ave found a radio times from 1996 so I know what Christmas films are on this year ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My missus has started watching some of the Christmas films already, some of them are truly dire, and are so sickly sweet you can see the syrup leaking out of the bottom of the telly. There are some good ones out there but I think my favourite is A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim. Still the best film of the story. Also, the original "Miracle on 34th Street" with Edmund Gwen. Old films but still great ones.
In the modern era, I like Bill Murray's Scrooged, Trading Places, Arthur Christmas and A Nightmare Before Christmas are all good watches.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not an ordinary action film, it's the quintessential action film. On IMDB it's rated 8.2 so obviously most people don't share your view. There can't be many out and out action films rated higher than that. And the mild Christmas connection just gives people an excuse to watch it each year.
I think the 8.2 rating says more about the viewers than it does about the film ... :):)

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Christmas holidays aren’t complete for me without collapsing on the sofa with a full belly, watching Where Eagles Dare for the billionth time.
#Broadswordcallingdannyboy