Lester Piggot

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I grew up near Ascot racecourse and would go over to the ‘heath’ to watch the racing. Lester had an aura about him and was one of the greats of both his sport and the sporting world in general. He was synonymous with horse racing the world over. He should be remembered in the same league in horse racing as Ali is to boxing, Nicklaus to golf, Boycott to cricket etc etc

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

He should be remembered in the same league in horse racing as Ali is to boxing, Nicklaus to golf, Boycott to cricket etc etc
And Jimmy Carr to tax avoidance? ;)

Seriously though, RIP a true giant of his sport.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rode his first winner in 1948, his last 47 years later, with 4,490 in between, including 30 Classics and almost every race of significance in England and France. All while keeping well below his natural weight and creating a unique style of riding. An extraordinary talent.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I bumped into him a few times when I lived in Newmarket.
He was pretty deaf which unfairly gave the impression he was 'standoffish'

When he was being investigated the story from the locals was that he hid all his dodgy cash under the floorboards of his new ranch style stud.
When the police raided the stud the first thing they did was rip up the floorboards.:whistle: