Lessons, What should I expect?

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have booked two lessons on a deal. 2x1 hour sessions including video monitoring. I want to work on my weight transfer and release. What should I expect to be told/shown to help with these parts of my swing.

Only booked the two because I'm hoping that will be enough.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
down tiger :p

I wouldnt expect anything until you have the lesson. just go with an open mind and see how it goes. We all swing different so what one is told another may be totally different

shall we have a race to 15 h/c rob :p

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Plus 1 for what gibbo said I would suggest you go let your pro watch you hit a few balls and see what he thinks rather than go telling what you think is wrong. Depending how much time you can spend changing things should give him a guide which way to go. There is no point him starting over if you can't put in range time.
But if you do the game may dessert you for a while. 1 step back for 2 forwards and all that.
Good luck.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do you know weight transfer and release are issues? Why not have a chat with the pro about the state of your game and let him watch you hit some. Go in without any pre-conceived ideas and see what the guy says

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know it's weight transfer because I tend to play too many shots off the back foot, leaning back sending the ball high and losing distance. During my fitting I was advised to release on my hits, so it's obviously a problem I didn't know I had.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
£10 charity bet that the first two lessons (despite issues with other parts of the swing) will focus on looking at grip, stance and posture. If there's time there will be a few swing path drills.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
At your lesson, you tell the pro what you want.
He should ask you "how can I help" or words to that affect.
You tell him the area of the game you want to improve and that's what you should work on.

D

Deleted member 1740

If your pro doesnt have you hitting a 9i 185 yards after 1hrs lesson then sack him.....

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
£10 charity bet that the first two lessons (despite issues with other parts of the swing) will focus on looking at grip, stance and posture. If there's time there will be a few swing path drills.

I think the same, based on my own experience of expecting to just need a little bit of tweaking.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the same, based on my own experience of expecting to just need a little bit of tweaking.
I would expect the pro to ask what you want from the lesson....BUT....if you are not at that stage I would expect him to take you back to the basics or however far back you need to go to progress to the stage you want to be at!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would expect the pro to ask what you want from the lesson....BUT....if you are not at that stage I would expect him to take you back to the basics or however far back you need to go to progress to the stage you want to be at!

Depends if you consider grip, stance, posture etc to be 'the basics' :p

Onyx

Hacker
Visit site
During my fitting I was advised to release on my hits, so it's obviously a problem I didn't know I had.

Speaking from experience, it is so easy to misconstrue a piece of advice & when trying to compensate one thing in isolation it can have a catastrophic effect on your swing as a whole. I would approach the 2 lessons with a very open mind, and after 2 hours I would expect you to have a very clear understanding of what you need to change &/or improve to achieve a better strike.
I finished the last of 4 lessons yesterday, my shots have improved drastically & I have a very clear understanding of what causes my bad shots, & a very simple programme to follow to build on the progress I have made.
So I am the ultimate lesson advocate at the moment, I hope you enjoy yours & take plenty from them - in my opinion it is money very well spent.
Good luck!

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good lesson today.

I have asked the pro to help me with my weight transfer and release.

He had me hit a few balls to warm up then took a few videos which we analysed back in the warmer office.

I only have one fault, which causes all my faults, fats-thins and huge 'power' fades.

I have been given a few drills to work on, which should help me get my weight transfer correct, which in effect will help with relaese and ball striking.

I'm playing tomorrow put have promised to put in at least 2 range sessions a week. The idea is to hit 30 balls with a purpose instead of just slashing at 100.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good lesson today.

I'm playing tomorrow put have promised to put in at least 2 range sessions a week. The idea is to hit 30 balls with a purpose instead of just slashing at 100.

Sounds positive start hope it works well this is a great piece of advice and 30 balls is the best part of an hour, i found walking away from position and reset everytime even hitting different clubs