lessons or clubs?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lessons by far!

Get a good swing, good habits and then good scores, even with some beginner clubs.

To start all you need clubs wise is a half set (7 clubs) in a cheap pencil bag.

Putter (OC), one of 54, 56 or 58 wedge, 9, 7, 5, 3 hybrid and a 3 wood (no driver until after lessons, learn to hit a 3 wood first).

The cheap end of the market is fine, in two years you will have outgrown your clubs with the lessons bought from the savings from buying a full set and big bag/trolley.

When you know you are going to enjoy the sport and can put in the time to practice you will get your moneys worth with a full set of decent clubs. Give your old ones to a friend or relative and get them into the game!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Providing your set is half decent and suited to your swing lessons every time!

Last year I changed my complete bag from putter through to driver and although new sticks are nice the difference in my golf come from the 5 lessons at the end if the year.

If there is an under lying fault no amount of shiney stuff will fix it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I would certainly go for a series of lessons

BUT.....

Make sure you have/make enough time to practice what the Pro tells you. If you go for a lesson and then can't/don't practice inbetween you'll never bed the advice into your swing.

I didn't know any better when I started and I spent time on the range, I read the books/magazines and just practiced myself. Got there in the end. Sort of....

Don't get me wrong - I'm not anti-lessons.
But if you don't put the time in on the range between sessions you may end up wasting time and money.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Justone is the perfect example of what you can get from a set of clubs. We always blame the clubs, but in reality its the same tit swinging the club that will make the faults.

A

Alex1975

Yep, the worst part of your club is the soft fleshy thing at the end of them. Lessons.... and practice.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Justone is the perfect example of what you can get from a set of clubs. We always blame the clubs, but in reality its the same tit swinging the club that will make the faults.

Yeh, um,.... thanks!.. (I think)

Find a decent pro and have a chat. If you like what he/she says then have some lessons.

Knocker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hey first ever post on here.

As a newbie I have taken the advice of eveybody on this thread and had my first lesson today and booked one in for about 10 days time.

He pointed out some fundamental flaws that I would have never realised just standing over the ball myself.

It's also really weird watching yourself swing a golf club aswell.

Hope it pays off in the lon run and I start taking loads of money off my dad on a Sunday morning. Ha.

A

Alex1975

Hey first ever post on here.

As a newbie I have taken the advice of eveybody on this thread and had my first lesson today and booked one in for about 10 days time.

He pointed out some fundamental flaws that I would have never realised just standing over the ball myself.

It's also really weird watching yourself swing a golf club aswell.

Hope it pays off in the lon run and I start taking loads of money off my dad on a Sunday morning. Ha.

Great job, make sure you have some time on the range before your next lesson. Dont just wack balls, do the things he showed you to do...

Oh and welcome to the forum

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I remember I booked my first lesson, after a comment my Father in law made on my first full round.

I tee'd off, and was about 10 yards off the right side of the fairway. As I addressed my 2nd shot he said "there is some Crap on the end of your club". As I looked at the club head he had me over well and truly. He said "no on the other end." :(

GUTTED, but broke the instant downer I had, relaxed me, and kept me smiling for the rest of the round. First thing I did was to book a lesson, not regularly beat him, so the Crap is on the handle of his club. ;)

Back to it, stick with lessons and penty of practise, play rounds, but definitely try to practise much more than play full rounds.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lessons everytime and then spending enough time on the range working on the drills. Once you take it to the course stick with it and resist the urge to go back to what feels better. Stick with the new swing even if you have a mare and keep working at it