Less loft

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Less loft does not equate to more distance.

changing over shafts today I accidentally set the head at a lower loft. Proved a point I' ve reckoned for years.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depends on a lot of variables.
If less loft produces better launch, spin etc then it could mean more distance.
More loft, generally, means more spin which, of not optimised, can reduce distance...
It's a bloomin' minefield out there:eek:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Less loft does not equate to more distance.

changing over shafts today I accidentally set the head at a lower loft. Proved a point I' ve reckoned for years.

Elaborate please? If less loft doesn't equate to more distance why are we not hitting PW of the tee

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Surely it is a question of matching the loft of your driver to your swing. So if you had the right combination, less loft is detrimental. Same as more loft would be.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Elaborate please? If less loft doesn't equate to more distance why are we not hitting PW of the tee
Apart from anything else a driver is longer. Also, using the hosepipe analogy, you don't necessarily get the water further by lowering the hose. To take extremes a driver with a 0° launch angle & 90° launch angle would go nowhere. Somewhere in between is the optimum angle & depends on, among other things, how hard you hit the ball. My swingpeed with a driver is only around 89mph. I found that when I de-lofted my 5 iron it went less distance because it wasn't staying in the air long enough. Applies to the driver too, especially if the ball isn't running.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I lofted my 3 wood up last week and I'm currently hitting better and longer than I have all season.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I was referring to a driver.

Through the air is much better than along the ground with todays conditions in particular (damp ground and longer grass).

D

Deleted member 15344

I was referring to a driver.

Through the air is much better than along the ground with todays conditions in particular (damp ground and longer grass).
Surely it depends on the swing speed and path as well also the conditions and the course playing

Someone like Rory would lose distance if he increased loft of his driver because it would possibly spin a lot more and have higher apex but less carry distance wise

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was a straight forward comparison for me over two very similar days (Thursday and today) and hitting roughly the same consistency.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Oh...I missed the bit about the shafts. OP, you are aware certain shafts can be low/mid and high launch shafts ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Launch angles, delivery, shaft kick point etc. So many variables which is why no two players, even if you were to give tour pros identical equipment would hit the ball the same and get identical results. Less loft should mean more distance but not always the case

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Launch angles, delivery, shaft kick point etc. So many variables which is why no two players, even if you were to give tour pros identical equipment would hit the ball the same and get identical results. Less loft should mean more distance but not always the case
Couldn't agree less. For the majority of us slow swingers less loft would = less distance, especially when the ball isn't running. And less loft than what? It's a meaningless statement.

Wolf

Visit site
It's not as simple as saying less loft more distance..

So much more technical than than that but all begins with the individual swinging the club, angle of attack, clubhead speed, smash factor, the amount of spin on the ball etc and so on..

I used to play junior golf with a lad who is now a club pro, even as a junior he used an 8degree driver to keep his spin down as he produced so much and hit such a high ball, soon as you gave him a 10.5 degree it would go into orbit and then fall out of the sky with snow on it so much shorter than his normal drives.. Flip side of that playing my 10.5 degree driver I could easily keep up for distance with him but when I tried his 8degree I'd be so far behind him as I simply couldn't get enough air time on the shot. Both our clubs had same shaft the only difference was the loft of the club face and swing speed of the person using it!

Saw a video recently of Dustin Johnson playing a round with a couple of teaching pro can't remember their names but they were asking him distance etc and he showed them his driver and said he always uses 10.5 degree setting and he bombs it so shows even top guys don't always loft down for distance. Was quite surprised though as maybe naively always thought he would have lower loft on driver.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's not as simple as saying less loft more distance..

So much more technical than than that but all begins with the individual swinging the club, angle of attack, clubhead speed, smash factor, the amount of spin on the ball etc and so on..

I used to play junior golf with a lad who is now a club pro, even as a junior he used an 8degree driver to keep his spin down as he produced so much and hit such a high ball, soon as you gave him a 10.5 degree it would go into orbit and then fall out of the sky with snow on it so much shorter than his normal drives.. Flip side of that playing my 10.5 degree driver I could easily keep up for distance with him but when I tried his 8degree I'd be so far behind him as I simply couldn't get enough air time on the shot. Both our clubs had same shaft the only difference was the loft of the club face and swing speed of the person using it!

Saw a video recently of Dustin Johnson playing a round with a couple of teaching pro can't remember their names but they were asking him distance etc and he showed them his driver and said he always uses 10.5 degree setting and he bombs it so shows even top guys don't always loft down for distance. Was quite surprised though as maybe naively always thought he would have lower loft on driver.

Exactly - you can't say less loft harms distance. It's an individual thing. For some (yes probably a small minority) less loft may increase distance

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But with two different shafts ?

Yes my mistake. The other shaft was only in for one round and it was a comparison from using the same shaft on several rounds previously.

Maybe I am trying to be fairly simplistic and not all technical about it.

I think I know my own game well enough to spot the difference.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes my mistake. The other shaft was only in for one round and it was a comparison from using the same shaft on several rounds previously.

I have absolutely no doubt your statement applies accurately to you...it came across as a statement that should apply to all golfers....perhaps that's not what you meant?

D

Deleted member 15717

It was a straight forward comparison for me over two very similar days (Thursday and today) and hitting roughly the same consistency.

How did you measure strike? How did you measure swing speeds, launch conditions etc?

Hilarious thread really. My own personal experience shows that less loft gave me a lot more distance from the way I hit driver....all measured on a launch monitor, so can be fairly sure about accuracy of data

D

Deleted member 15344

But your OP was posted as a statement of fact about loft ? Where as it appears to be sticking a wet finger in the air in terms of technically sound theory

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you start with carry distance alone it becomes blindingly obvious that as you reduce loft you will reach a point where carry will reduce.
Overall distance including roll out will equally obviously depend on ground conditions in combination with trajectory - and trajectory will depend on launch conditions, which include loft (but it doesn't act alone) as don't the other equipement elements of shaft & clubhead.

And all of that ignores the person swinging the club - which will, for 99%+ of golfers, vary with every swing...