Learning a predictable shot shape

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not a stock shot, but a more predictable flight pattern with my irons.

I've always tried to play golf in straight lines, straight with driver, irons, wedges etc but, being a handicap golfer hitting the ball consistantley straight is no gimmie ,as a result I tend to miss my target areas to the left and right.

To this end I'm trying to work on a shot pattern that gives me a predictable, but more importantly repeatable flight and as a by product a predicatable miss.

Today I couldn't play my regulation 18 holes today due to the course being closed for the club championship, so I retreated to the driving range. When there, I reverted to type and played the ball a little further back in my stance. The idea is a simple one, keep it simple.

I played 6- thru-9 irons in the middle of my stance, the result was a push draw and my typical miss was a push. Wedges were played from there usual position (Mid-Stance), the typical flight was straight, with my miss being a push.

5 iron was a ball further forward, same results as above

I hit the occasional over-draw but my predominant miss was the push........ And NO sign of the pull that's plagued me recently **looks round for a piece of wood to tap **

My question to the forum experts:

If you learn a predictable shot shape and it's subsequent miss do/should you play for the shot, the miss, or a happy medium between the two?

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure if this helps but one objective is to take one side of the course out of play so that you cant hit a ball there.

Second, the 'bad' shot is overdoing the shape. So the shot to try is to draw/fade onto the target without over doing it and missing it on the 'far' side. Choose a starting line on which to start the ball and and a finishing point (which might not be the pin) to try to move the ball onto.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love these questions. My aim, for as long as I can remember, has been to take the nasty left-right out of my game. Not because I don't mind the odd fade (not at all, it's a useful shot) but because my course favours the player that can hit a guaranteed draw or 10 yard push at worst.
As I remember it, at my best I hit 3 shots;
1) draw/landing left of target
2) draw/landing ON target and
3) small, but hardly punishing, push. (enough to miss a green at 150-200, but not at 100 yards :))

I solved the "over-drawn" shot by standing open and cutting the ball up with short irons and aiming down the right on long/tee shots.

As Matty says, the one that punishes is overdoing it. However there's no reason to necessarily panic, if your swing is predictable enough to have a 9/10 idea of the result, then you can plan. For me, it's being careful not to let my grip get too strong.

I haven't hit a slice for weeks, honestly guv....:)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been working on taking the ugly shot right when I come up and out of the shot out of the game. Can't hit left to right fades anyway and so I've taken the right side out of play and my miss tends to be left now. It's definitely helped

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
My question to the forum experts:

If you learn a predictable shot shape and it's subsequent miss do/should you play for the shot, the miss, or a happy medium between the two?

the shot - anything else is madness.

however, you need to recognise the potential results of the miss and occasionally it will be appropriate to aim away from the target ie you play a predictable draw, flag on right of green and water right of that - you are aiming at the left half of the green!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far folks :thup:

This is something I've now set my mind on getting right as I feel it's going to be the thing that will be of most benefit to me.

Any other comments/recommendations apreciated :thup:

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There was one line in a recent GM when the lucky winners of the Ping PYB had their games evaluated, which struck a chord with me. I think it related to Toad (John Boag) who is the break 70 winner.

The pro said that to break 70 you need to able to move the ball both ways (at will I assume - as we can all do it unintentionally!).

Work on a stock shape but also ensure you can hit it the other way.