Laser Rangefinder/GPS worth the money for recreational golf?

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
With the weather being rubbish (but improving) i'm in the process of sorting my bag out and have been looking at rangefinders. For someone who may get out a couple of times a month to play are they really worth it?
Looking on ebay, used big brand ones are often over £100 for both rangefinder and GPS. Something like a Mileseey can be had for around £50 and reviews seem "ok".

I currently have Freecaddie on my phone so in your opinions, would dropping more money on a pricey rangefinder/gps be worth it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you always play the same course nothing wrong with a Course Planner.

I bought mine primarily because I play away a lot plus they are much quicker for the occasional use I make of them on my home course.

Playing my home course where I have been a member for over 30 years I know which club to take on most occasions just from experience.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been a real stick in the mud over them - as those here of some vintage will attest - but eventually succumbed to pressure from our Pro and he sold me a Bushnell for £200 back end Nov. (hmmm o_O)

Given so little golf since then I am still getting used to it, and round my own track and for most shots it doesn't actually provide me with much useful improvement in distance estimation - I can usually guesstimate distances to within 10yds of the laser device - better for shorter distances - and I am not that good that that makes a lot of difference - experience generally tells me the club I will use. However - it is actually good that I am gradually build up confidence in the device round my own track so that when I have a shot that is for me out-of-the-ordinary and difficult to guesstimate - I have something - and as I will be playing other courses this year hopefully I'll see the real value of it.

And I was in the #1 Philistine Team :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Plenty of free GPS apps for phones, so buying a GPS is definitely not worth it. I did buy myself a rangefinder though - managed to find a Ben Sayers one on ebay for around £70 so didn't break the bank. That does the job nicely, I find it most useful on slightly elevated or back-sloping greens where I am particularly crap at working out whether the pin is at the front or back.

Naysayers will say that as a handicap golfer your distance isn't consistent enough to warrant using a rangefinder, but I find it gives me that little bit more confidence in my club selection, which allows me to be more committed to the shot. So worth it just for that.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If a phone app doesn't drain your battery significantly then stick with that.
Some GPS units are more accurate than others because they map the course on foot rather than use overhead photos or Google Earth.
If you're only playing a couple of times a month then absolute accuracy doesn't really come high enough up the pecking order if you use an app.
Once a week or more and I'd say its probably worth it.

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bought a sky caddie aire years ago, still going. Does the basics front/middle/back, it’s simple to use and just needs a quick glance. only cost £99 and for what it does I’d say it was worth it.
however depending on when it gives up I would consider an app based one that links to the phone/watch.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Rangefinders are ok if you have a clear view to where you're hitting, I suppose.
I think that they're bulky, slow to use, and I don't like them.

I vastly prefer GPS.
Even recreational players need to know how far to hit the ball.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
Started with a laser and it's good, especially on hilly courses not played before. Use my Fenix 3 GPS watch for last year or so and rarely take laser out of the bag now.
I then add all the mental equations into my club selection and shot like, lie, elevation, wind, how warmed up I am, how confident I'm feeling blah blah.....

Once you have your carry and total distances for each club, for let's say 'neutral' conditions, (warmed up, good lie and no wind) when you measure by whatever means on the course whilst playing, you need to trust those base figures.
So often I think I know better and my mental equations get out of proportion! It's the same guy in my head that says - "Go on, smash it!"

Anyway, a smartwatch style GPS will let you see messages on it, some guy was even answering a call on hos the other day - sometimes needs must I suppose.
The laser can seem a bit too much 'faff' these days.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Another benefit for a recreational golfer is that some GPS watches track how far you have hit your last shot (as you walk from where you hit it, towards the hole). That is very beneficial on 2 counts:
1. You will learn your distances with each club, albeit total rather than just carry
2. If you do hit one into the rough, you will have a very good idea of where to look if you know that you typically hit that club x yards.

I have found my ball on many occasions using that feature when relying on my eyesight or partners guess where it landed, would have proved to be miles out!

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
With the weather being rubbish (but improving) i'm in the process of sorting my bag out and have been looking at rangefinders. For someone who may get out a couple of times a month to play are they really worth it?
Looking on ebay, used big brand ones are often over £100 for both rangefinder and GPS. Something like a Mileseey can be had for around £50 and reviews seem "ok".

I currently have Freecaddie on my phone so in your opinions, would dropping more money on a pricey rangefinder/gps be worth it?
I can't play without mine but I play regularly. I'd say you get the most benefit out of them if you hit it consistently to a yardage. If not, a GPS watch would do the job to give you an idea

D

Deleted member 23344

I use a GPS watch. As a high handicapper, that is accurate enough for me. I should imagine that a laser is a bit of a faff to use regularly and has the potential to slow play.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I use a GPS watch. As a high handicapper, that is accurate enough for me. I should imagine that a laser is a bit of a faff to use regularly and has the potential to slow play.

I bet I use my Bushnell laser quicker than my mate uses his GPS watch. By the time he’s looked at his watch a couple of times, decided where the flag is, front middle or back and asked anyone else around wether they think it’s front middle or back I’ve usually zapped the the flag and taken my shot.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Use a laser, was previously a GPS man but must admit the money spent on the laser has been worth it and especially when playing other courses.

Do find a lot of courses lack distance info on the course such as yardages on the tee, 200 and/or 150 yard markers, that unless you happen to have a very good eye it is sometimes making a tough game even tougher not using any form of help.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
I have a GPS watch which I love. However something I noticed yesterday when I played my first round of the year is that during winter a Rangefinder would be better due to Temporary greens.

We played a course we only usually play in the summer and every green was a temporary.
All pins were somewhere in front of the main greens, but you didn't know and couldn't really tell accurately how far in front.
A rangefinder would simply zap the flagstick and we'd know exact yardages.

Thinking of getting one for this reason.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've always used a laser, which is great 150 in and on a links course i can pick up the binkers and range them to carry, but got a new Ex hire PK with GPS this year and it does have the advantage for long shots as the flag isn't that important. Also playing a fair bit at Nairn Dunbar and there are a few greens there with banks behind and the laser alway pick up the bank so the GPS has been handy for that..

personally i pref the laser if i;m honest, but down to personal choice and ability maybe

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a Garmin G8 (not sure they still do these) as a GPS but also carry a laser rangefinder which I find ideal for distances from 120 yards and in, particularly on pitch shots from 70 yards and close where I have worked hard on distance control. I use a Suaoki which was less than £100 on Amazon and compares pretty well when using it on the course alongside PP's using the more recognised and expensive models and usually +/-1 yard either way to their reading https://threeoffthetee.blogspot.com/2016/12/suaoki-laser-rangefinder.html

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd say either will improve your game no end, you will soon build up a better understanding of how far you hit each club and be pin high more often or you can see how far it is to take bunkers nearer the front of the green out of play. Its a no brainer, I use a gps and a range finder. I think the combination is extremely useful