Laser printer - help please

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Afternoon gurus. Help reqd please.

Brother HL2240 Laser printer.

As you can see, a lot of repeat smudge patterns down left edge plus a few bits of unfused toner near bottom left.

Do I need a new drum unit, fuser (is that something a technophobe can change), or new printer?

TIA

20211028_165851_resized (2).jpg

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The problem with printers of all types is that often the only way to troubleshoot is to replace the inks/toner without any guarantee that that action will fix the problem

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The problem with printers of all types is that often the only way to troubleshoot is to replace the inks/toner without any guarantee that that action will fix the problem

Toner replaced a couple of weeks ago (I already had it "in stock"). The problem has been gradually getting worse for 2 or 3 months now.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
In that case it might be a build up of excess toner on your rollers

Might need a good clean , take out the toner and open it up as far as you can
Get a Hoover crevice tool in there and a dry thin paint brush and agitate

Good luck, you’ll need it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing, probably not the cause. Did you give the cartridge a good shake before installing it to ensure the toner was even spread and did you end with a violent shake to one side.

from the web

How do you clean the drum on a Brother HL 2240?

Make sure that the drum unit gear is on the left side. Turn the edge of the drum unit toward you by hand while looking at surface of the suspected area. Wipe the surface of the drum gently with a dry cotton swab until the mark on the surface comes off.24 Mar 2016

and

https://printersetup.org/fix-brother-printer-black-smudges-on-paper/

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. Already tried all the cleaning routines etc. Yes Jim, I've shaken the cartridge, and previous one when problem 1st noticed, side to side and up and down - nothing violent mind :).

Looks like a new printer may be required - I'm not going to spend further money on this one if the problem can't be diagnosed.

Thanks anyway (y)