Laptop picture to TV .Help required.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there anyone here who watches there laptop on their TV. I am trying to get a picture from the laptop to my TV. I have bought a SVGA cable and one for the sound from PC World.

I have joined them all but nothing happens. Do I have to tune in for the laptop picture? I want to use it so I can watch footie and golf from sopcast/links etc.

Anyone here doing anything like this?

Thanks

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Clearly, it CAN be done.

My LCD TV has a connection port in the back and I can run a VGA cable from laptop to TV. However, despite having an AV menu for "PC" input on the TV, I can't get the correct screen size! I gave up.

If you have a laptop, there ought to be a menu for the graphics card. On (both) my PC(s) if I right-click anywhere on the desktop and select "graphics properties" I can select the correct setting to send the picture to another screen.

t.b.h. If I tried my desktop, I'm sure the screen size could be easily fixed using the Nvidia menu, the laptop is less flexible (given that it's an onboard chip-set, as opposed to a proper PCI graphics card). I know that the settings for my work desktop are easy (ATI Radeon) because I sometimes give presentations linking my PC to a big TV that's on wheels.

I suspect the problem is at the computer end, think about it.....if you can select a DVD or any sort of AV input and get a picture without tuning, it should be instant with any input.

D

Deleted member 1740

I've not done it personally though my father in law has and he used a HDMI-scart(the small weird shaped oblong thing on the laptop not the standard scart) and that did work. I'm sorry i dont know the exact term for the lead you want, but if you look on ebay you should find it no probs.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have taken out cables and put them back in again and still no join. I dont have a computer techy head so I appreciate your help. Im unable to get to the graphic bit to send the picture by right clicking. Are you right clicking anywhere on the desktop?

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I right click on desktop it only gives me view,sort by,refresh and a few others Cant see properties anywhere :mad:

Do you mean by desktop just anywhere on the screen or is there a specfic bit that says desktop. Sorry if thats a daft question.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Result.....

Spoke to my bro who has the same set up and he walked me through it.

Heres how.
1. Hook up all cables.
2. Fn button and F3 ( toggles from TV to laptop)
3. RGB input on TV (its an LG tv)

Heres to more golf and footie online. Shame it too late to watch the Man U stuff the chelski.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I right click on desktop it only gives me view,sort by,refresh and a few others Cant see properties anywhere :mad:

Do you mean by desktop just anywhere on the screen or is there a specfic bit that says desktop. Sorry if thats a daft question.
i ment desktop as in anywhere on your acreen . the function key is probably a shortcut think i had that on my old laptop should of remembered! your sorted now so wel done ;)