Lake Balls - where do you buy yours from?

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Simple question really.
Do you buy online, and if so, where from?
Or do you only buy from your club so that you can see the quality?

Was looking on amazon, but despite good reviews, there always seem to be bad ones about the quality (or rather lack of) when the balls are described as Pearl.

Cheers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple question really.
Do you buy online, and if so, where from?
Or do you only buy from your club so that you can see the quality?

Was looking on amazon, but despite good reviews, there always seem to be bad ones about the quality (or rather lack of) when the balls are described as Pearl.

Cheers

Personally I wouldn't touch lake balls. No idea how each will perform and being submerged will affect performance. Just my own view, but there are plenty of decent balls (AD333 etc) that are good quality and reasonably cheap

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.premierlakeballs.com

Have used this lot with no problems

These plus some eBay shop / sellers. You tend to get a decent view of the balls now on eBay and the descriptions need to be good otherwise they would lose good feedback. I try to buy in the winter as there are some great deals then. I got 60 or so Callaway pearl balls then at 33p each. Expect to pay 50-75p in the summer. You can't buy anything new worth playing at that price and they are good enough for me.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't touch lake balls. No idea how each will perform and being submerged will affect performance. Just my own view, but there are plenty of decent balls (AD333 etc) that are good quality and reasonably cheap

Plenty of even cheaper AD333 lake balls to be had.

Just my view, but I don't think being submerged in water makes a jot of difference to performance.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find mail order golf cheaper. Just ordered 40 AD33 superb/very good for £22.49 delivered.

Premier lakeballs want £27.99 with delivery starting at £5.29 for same.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Plenty of even cheaper AD333 lake balls to be had.

Just my view, but I don't think being submerged in water makes a jot of difference to performance.

There was an article in Todays Golfer years ago where they were testing the dispersion rates of different ball. Premium - mid range - budget- lake balls

Lake balls were easily the worst performers with lake Pro V1s being magnitudes worse in dispersion than new balls

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to use

aforedablegolf.com

I liked there grading system and never had an issue with a pearl ball being exactly that but I stopped buying lake balls some time ago.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
ebay for me. Just have a look around for the type of ball I want then search for the best deal on those balls. They perform find for me and have had no issues.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There was an article in Todays Golfer years ago where they were testing the dispersion rates of different ball. Premium - mid range - budget- lake balls

Lake balls were easily the worst performers with lake Pro V1s being magnitudes worse in dispersion than new balls

This is where the devil on my shoulder starts shouting - count the number of issues Titleist don't have at least 2 or 3 full page ads!!!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is where the devil on my shoulder starts shouting - count the number of issues Titleist don't have at least 2 or 3 full page ads!!!

Totally agree. As if any magazine is going to run a feature that essentially tells their readership that they don't have to buy brand new balls of one of their main sponsors as ones that have sat in a lake for a while are just as good for a fraction of the price. Call me sceptical but can't see that article being run in any magazine.

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bought a mixed bag of lake balls (varying grades) of Amazon. Looking back, this was a mistake. Some decent ones in there but some complete rubbish.

I might look to get some cheap new Dunlops for 33p a ball in future. Might give me a bit more consistency.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Totally agree. As if any magazine is going to run a feature that essentially tells their readership that they don't have to buy brand new balls of one of their main sponsors as ones that have sat in a lake for a while are just as good for a fraction of the price. Call me sceptical but can't see that article being run in any magazine.

Just to expand on the article in TG I have just read a scientific paper on the degradadtion of PU covered golf balls under water/high temperature/ high temperature and high humidity. Whereas degradation was far higher in the high temp high humidity. Water did indeed lead degradation of the golf ball, with reduced properties of hardness of surface, hardness of core and coefficient of restitution. Though the golf ball only saw reasonable variations when time exposed to water was within a couple of weeks, after this time the degradation was more pronounced.

Meaning if the lake ball you purchased had been under water for more than 2 weeks the golf ball you are playing with could have vastly different properties to a new version of the same golf ball. If the dispersion rate is only 20% higher than the normal rate is mean the exact same shot you hit could see your ball in themissle fo the green or in the rough.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just to expand on the article in TG I have just read a scientific paper on the degradadtion of PU covered golf balls under water/high temperature/ high temperature and high humidity. Whereas degradation was far higher in the high temp high humidity. Water did indeed lead degradation of the golf ball, with reduced properties of hardness of surface, hardness of core and coefficient of restitution. Though the golf ball only saw reasonable variations when time exposed to water was within a couple of weeks, after this time the degradation was more pronounced.

Meaning if the lake ball you purchased had been under water for more than 2 weeks the golf ball you are playing with could have vastly different properties to a new version of the same golf ball. If the dispersion rate is only 20% higher than the normal rate is mean the exact same shot you hit could see your ball in themissle fo the green or in the rough.

I went to a Titleist day to demo the Scotty range and their new pro V at Silvermere with GM and the question of submerged lake balls came up. They had apparently done their own research and found that water would degrade balls and they confirmed their own research showed huge variance in performance. Of course you'd expect a ball company to say that but good to see a magazine back it up as well

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went to a Titleist day to demo the Scotty range and their new pro V at Silvermere with GM and the question of submerged lake balls came up. They had apparently done their own research and found that water would degrade balls and they confirmed their own research showed huge variance in performance. Of course you'd expect a ball company to say that but good to see a magazine back it up as well

So do you think a magazine commissions primary research ?